Menu

Questions about IEW & EIW... which one???

My daughter did IEW Bible Theme book in a co-op this year and learned a lot. In the past she really struggled with writing but she had a breakthrough year. Next year she is not participating in this co-op and her homeschool program, Heart of Dakota is scheduling in Essentials in Writing: Grade 10 for the area of composition. (I linked to HOD's discussion on this program choice) I am really torn if I should have her do this program or have her continue with IEW. If we decide to go with IEW, I wouldn't have a clue what I should get for her because I didn't teach it to her. Any advice?

If you stick with IEW I would get the SWI- C for your dd. Or you could get the TWSS, watch it and get a theme book- or you could just get a theme book and let dd work through it since she's already done and is familar with the program. (Personally, I think you'd be happier with SWI-C if you aren't clear about the program yourself.

EIW is written by a Jr. High Teacher. I just reviewed 11th grade here. If you click the graphic at the bottom of the post, it will take you to other reviews of different EIW grades.

Having used both programs, I would go with IEW. I think EIW tries to incorporate many of the same concpets, but with the disadvantadge of not telling their kids why or how they should incorporate things. IEW is simple, clear and concise with no ambiguous language such as "I like that sentence." Who cares? Tell me what makes a good sentence, noy if you like it or not. THAT is the difference between IEW (which is clear) and EIW (and which appears to be defined by preference).

If you stick with IEW I would get the SWI- C for your dd. Or you could get the TWSS, watch it and get a theme book- or you could just get a theme book and let dd work through it since she's already done and is familar with the program. (Personally, I think you'd be happier with SWI-C if you aren't clear about the program yourself.

EIW is written by a Jr. High Teacher. I just reviewed 11th grade here. If you click the graphic at the bottom of the post, it will take you to other reviews of different EIW grades.

Having used both programs, I would go with IEW. I think EIW tries to incorporate many of the same concpets, but with the disadvantadge of not telling their kids why or how they should incorporate things. IEW is simple, clear and concise with no ambiguous language such as "I like that sentence." Who cares? Tell me what makes a good sentence, noy if you like it or not. THAT is the difference between IEW (which is clear) and EIW (and which appears to be defined by preference).

Your review was extremely helpful. Thank you! Another thought I had is that something as new as EIW simply can't compete with the experience and refining that IEW has gone through over the years. Do you agree? Could you help me think through IEW a bit more. Here is what I have...

I purchased SWI-B at a used curriculum fair last week intending to use it with my upcoming 7th grade daughter. Could this be an option for my older daughter? Or would watching this with my younger daughter help me to lead her through a theme book? I wish I could afford to get TWSS, I think that would be the easiest thing for me overall but it isn't an option right now.

Your review was extremely helpful. Thank you! Another thought I had is that something as new as EIW simply can't compete with the experience and refining that IEW has gone through over the years. Do you agree? Could you help me think through IEW a bit more. Here is what I have...

I purchased SWI-B at a used curriculum fair last week intending to use it with my upcoming 7th grade daughter. Could this be an option for my older daughter? Or would watching this with my younger daughter help me to lead her through a theme book? I wish I could afford to get TWSS, I think that would be the easiest thing for me overall but it isn't an option right now.

I think that they are basically including the same material BUT IEW does it in a way that is clear. EIW does not have the refinement or the language or the rubric to be as clear.

I can't remember the diff between SWI- B and C but I think they both include all 9 units so I think it would work out just fine. You could sure listen in and then do a theme book. I know folks do use theme books without the TWSS but I found when I vended for IEW that peole who wanted their money back were the ones who DIDN't go through TWSS and were frustrated because they really didn't understand the program. It's not htat it can't be done.

btw- I sent you a pm.