Menu

Winners and losers this year

For my 6th grader

Winners:

• Math-U-See with MM combination--she really gets it and can understand word problems!
  • Read-aloud time has been something they ask for constantly--we're reading Chronicles of Narnia with ROAR! and loving it.
  • Mark Kistler's draw squad and drawing tutor

Middle of the Road:

• MFW CtG--reading through the O.T. has been wonderful, she loves history because of this program and enjoys making the notebook pages, enjoys the timeline, enjoys the reading. The science hasn't been my favorite--not enough--so we've added some science reading ala WTM. English from the Roots Up as been enjoyable but not comprehensive. We have not done the art or music appreciation from the program due to lack of time, but it would have been really fun.
  • Writing Strands 3--My daughter does it and it has improved her writing but she doesn't love it
  • Megawords--my daughter loves it but I do not see it translating at all into her writing. She struggles horribly with spelling and I feel so bad for her. Off to check out Phonetic Zoo.
  • R&S English 4--I just can't seem to enjoy doing the program with her. I know it's complete but I can't seem to do it. She doesn't love it either and really struggles with retention. But she struggles with anything LA related. I think she needs more review. I'm thinking about doing the MCT/Hake combo next year.

Duds:

• d'Aulaires Greek Myths, my kids begged me not to read this, it was too gruesome to them. We read another shorter summar of the myths and have read some favorite greek myths that they've enjoyed more. I think the illustrations got them with d'Aulaires. Too bad because I really thought we'd like it.

All in all it hasn't been a bad year, but I think there's lots of room for improvement. We'll be concentrating more on not buying boxed curriculum, I know more of what I want, and spelling and writing. She has so much potential, but has a lot to overcome so that her creativity in writing can shine through.

6th Grade Winners

Systematic Mathematics

The math program I have been looking for. Video-based with incremental, systematic instruction. Focuses on understanding with plenty of word problems. One worksheet a day. DS has really solidified his math abilities this year.

Daily Grammar Practice

Short, thorough, challenging. DS has blossomed in grammatical understanding without wading through a dry textbook.

Understanding Writing

Another common-sense, incremental program. I wrote a review on it here.

Kindergarten Winners

Wee Folk Art

The perfect K program as far as I'm concerned. Good books, simple crafts, baking, poems, and field trip ideas with a seasonal focus. We've had fun and DS has learned a lot. And did I mention it's free?

Alphabet Book for C-rods

Fun and backs up phonics. Too bad it is out of print.

The Reading Lesson

Loved 100EZ for my firstborn, but The Reading Lesson has a slower pace which suits 2nd DS. Simple and sweet. Combo of phonics and sight words, which I like.

For Both

Whole method of memorization

Learned about this when reading Ruth Beechick last year. You memorize by reading the whole passage at once, instead of breaking it down day by day. Easier, and better cohesion. Sixth-grader memorized most of Hebrews 11, K-er memorized two Psalms and several poems.

ETA: Whoops. Just realized this is the logic board. Ignore the K-er entry. :D

Thanks for posting! I love hearing about different curricula that don't get mentioned here that often. I'm looking at things for my rising 6th grader, so I'm going to take a look at your 6th grade "winners". Thank you!

For my 6th grade son:

Winners:

• Hake Grammar. This curriculum has been the answer to a myriad of issues for my son. Definitely plan to continue with this series.
  • BJU Science 6. I used to despise the jumpy nature of BJU's elementary science, but for this particular kid, it has been perfect. I believe it has given him good practice with working with a science textbook in prep for next year's Life Science.
  • CLE Math 6. I will always appreciate how this curriculum has helped this particular son. Again...it isn't for every kid...it would have made my older son put his head through the wall (as would have Hake Grammar). But for my younger son, it has been *the* solution.

Losers:

• Megawords. We struggled through this workbook for a couple of months before I decided it was a complete waste of time. We switched to Phonetic Zoo (doing it without the audio portion), and it has been great.
  • Family Math. I really wanted to like this. But I didn't! :)

Winners:

HOD resurrection to reformation

MUS

IEW

Notgrass Uncle Sam and you

HOD preparing hearts

Elemental science earth science and astronomy

Drawn into the heart of reading--I guess the third time is the charm!

Losers:

HOD beyond and bigger--they are not bad, my dc were not well placed...these levels are below their working level each should have been up a level or 2.