Menu

Natural beauty products? or making your own?

countrygal

I really have been wanting to purchase a face lotion (minus the chemicals) but I'm not sure what to choose. I was thinking Ava Anderson. Anyone like it? Anybody have any others they like? I also have a concern is that it is a waste of money, that "all natural" isn't necessarily good for you either (example being aluminum is natural, but I don't want it in my food, KWIM?) If it's 99% natural, what is the other 1%? If there was 1% preservative (or lead!) I don't think I'd want to use it! Does anyone make their own lotion or soap? I'd try easy recipes. TIA!

I use coconut oil (organic, unrefined). It only takes the tiniest bit. I rub a little coconut oil on my hands first, because the skin on my hands will soak some up, and then I add a tiny bit more (think size of a pea), quickly distribute it across my hands and then rub it on my face. My skin drinks it up and really feels better/healed in a way that I don't feel with regular lotion. If I use the right amount, it all gets absorbed and my face does not end up greasy. If I accidentally put on too much and it hasn't all been absorbed in a couple of minutes, I wipe off the excess with a tissue. (I also use the coconut oil as a body lotion.)

Thanks! I like the coconut oil, it's cheap compared to other facial products! Where can you get whipped shea butter? How do you wash your face? I was reading on castor oil/olive oil 'wash'... but I'm afraid to try it. I'm also curious on what soap to use on babies and for shampoo and conditioner for me.

Ok, yall, I know I sound like an infomercial but I promise I'm not! I've been making this lotion since December and it is amazing! I use it on my face, my body...it is all natural and CHEAP and wonderful!! People I gave it to for Christmas are asking for more. :)

http://www.mercyisnew.com/2012/11/homemade-coconut-oil-lotion-it-works.html

My blog post is long because I didn't want to leave out little details...but the process literally takes about 2-3 MINUTES to make it! and less than $1 a jar! I'm telling you, it's perfect. :)

I'm also using (and diluting) Dr. Bronner's for a lot of things now!!

http://www.mercyisnew.com/2013/01/uses-for-dr-bronners-quest-for-health.html

There is a debate about that. :) some people truly want "all natural" and make enough lotion to last a few weeks and make more. I didn't add preservative the first 2 months I made mine and never had any go bad. If you click on the link where I got my "basic" recipe, she does give a preservative to use and I did order some to put in the lotion I gave as gifts. So far though, I've been using some jars for 2 months and its been fine. I think it is just a matter of preference, how often you want to make it, etc.