Menu

Ohio Homeschooling Requirements

First, you need to contact your local school board and they should send you a homeschooling packet. There is a notification you can find at this website http://www.cheohome.org/get-started/notification/. It gives an outline of the subjects you need to teach. Then you just include a summary of the resources you will use to teach those subjects. You don't need to be too specific (ex. if you plan to use library books to teach science, just write "library books"). You do not need to send notification until your child is 6 years old for that school year. Then at the end of the year you can either have your children evaluated by a certified teacher or have them take a standardized test. If you have any more specific questions, I would be happy to attempt to answer them:)

I don't think every school district offers a homeschool packet, I know mine doesn't. I just send my letter of intent with a brief outline of subjects to be taught and resources I'll be using. I don't even mention what grade the kids are in because they are all over the place. So I'll just say something like Saxon Math without the grade designation. The CHEO site is a good one for information.

We send a letter of intent to our local superintendent which includes a statement that certain subjects will be covered and we will meet the minimum required # of hours. NEXT year, along with your letter of intent, you need to send a copy of standardized test scores or a portfolio assessment for any child over 6 years of age. (Regardless of whether you state a grade level or not, the school district will consider your child in the grade level associated with their DOB unless you go through the district guidelines for whole grade acceleration or retention.) Your local homeschooling group might have a sample letter of intent. If not, feel free to message me your email address, and I will send you the one I used last year.

First, you need to contact your local school board and they should send you a homeschooling packet. There is a notification you can find at this website http://www.cheohome.org/get-started/notification/. It gives an outline of the subjects you need to teach. Then you just include a summary of the resources you will use to teach those subjects. You don't need to be too specific (ex. if you plan to use library books to teach science, just write "library books"). You do not need to send notification until your child is 6 years old for that school year. Then at the end of the year you can either have your children evaluated by a certified teacher or have them take a standardized test. If you have any more specific questions, I would be happy to attempt to answer them:)

Thank you, that is very helpful! I'm specifically wondering about the fine arts/music requirement and the Ohio history requirement. What do you use for these?

We send a letter of intent to our local superintendent which includes a statement that certain subjects will be covered and we will meet the minimum required # of hours. NEXT year, along with your letter of intent, you need to send a copy of standardized test scores or a portfolio assessment for any child over 6 years of age. (Regardless of whether you state a grade level or not, the school district will consider your child in the grade level associated with their DOB unless you go through the district guidelines for whole grade acceleration or retention.) Your local homeschooling group might have a sample letter of intent. If not, feel free to message me your email address, and I will send you the one I used last year.

We used OHVA for DS for Kindergarten this year. Do I need to request info from them be sent to our district? He is 6 now, but my DD won't even be 5 until July so I am assuming I don't need to give notification for her yet.

I'm specifically wondering about the fine arts/music requirement and the Ohio history requirement. What do you use for these?

For our family the kids take piano lessons so that counts toward music. Confessions of a Homeschooler has some nice little studies for composers and artists, but since your kids are so young you could easily just do library books, music CDs, and maybe a field trip or two (most communities have some type of fine arts events that are either free or cheap for kids).

For Ohio history, again, I would just look at your library. A few books that come to mind are B is for Buckeye, Cardinal Numbers: an Ohio Counting Book, and The Ohio Reader. I would think those books and a few field trips to some local landmarks would be more than sufficient.

Hope that helps!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I was curious about this as well. Could someone message me this letter? Do I just send this letter and by what date? I figured I would have to go to the school or something I don't know. My ds will be 6 late summer. Also what does your portfolio have to have in it? Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

First, you need to contact your local school board and they should send you a homeschooling packet.

I'm sorry, but this is not correct. You do not need the homeschooling packet from your board or the local educational service center. Mine, and many others, ask for a lot more information than the state requires you to give. I notify each year without any problems and never use the homeschooling packet. It is against the state law to require it.

There is good information here.

This is the form that I used for a few years without trouble and has only the information you need to supply on it.

Tara is also correct. If you are doing OHVA you do not need to notify. It is considered a public school by the state.

For our family the kids take piano lessons so that counts toward music. Confessions of a Homeschoolerhas some nice little studies for composers and artists, but since your kids are so young you could easily just do library books, music CDs, and maybe a field trip or two (most communities have some type of fine arts events that are either free or cheap for kids).

For Ohio history, again, I would just look at your library. A few books that come to mind are B is for Buckeye, Cardinal Numbers: an Ohio Counting Book, and The Ohio Reader. I would think those books and a few field trips to some local landmarks would be more than sufficient.

Hope that helps!

:iagree: I've done all of the above. Any history or biographies that touch on Ohio or Ohians will do for the younger years.

One thing that is important to note on subject requirements:

In Ohio, while the state requires a list of subjects you need to cover each year, no time allotment is also required for the subject. So, if you do one lesson on music, or listen to one classical song, or listen to the radio, or hear music being played at a performance, you've met the requirement for the year.

Just don't feel like you need to make all the the subjects into a course to meet the requirements.

I generally don't teach Ohio history specifically, but we do cover it as it comes up in our history rotations so on my letter of intent I usually state something general that indicates that and add a statement that we also cover Ohio history informally on various field trips to historical sites around the state. We use HOD and as we cover especially American history we spend time when Ohio is mentioned. We actually live in an area where there were a lot of action between the Native Americans and pioneers so it's fairly easy to cover that history.

Sometimes we do specific art/music programs but usually we cover it casually so my statement usually says something to the effect that we cover specific art history, art and music as it corresponds to our historical studies in ___________________ (whatever section of history we're studying that year). Usually the books we use mention artists and musicians so that I don't feel the need to supplement in that area. Also, my dh likes classical music so we are exposed to it often without any effort on my part. If you chose to use a specific curr. that covers that subject just list it with a brief summary.

The key in our district at least seems to be to address every required subject in your letter of intent. I've never felt it necessary to use formal curriculum for every subject. For instance, for my kids in middle and elementary, we've never used a health curriculum. In my letter of intent I merely make a statement that we will cover first aid and safety as they come up in everyday situations and with library books that address various subjects. I've never been contacted for further information.

Go to the CHEO website and click their link for the law. It's all there, so you can read it yourself. If they're 6 or older by the cut-off, you notify. Only put age (actually DOB), not grade. You don't send in anything from the previous (ps/OHVA) year when you notify. The NEXT year when you send in your notification you will send in test results from the PRIOR year when you HOMESCHOOLED. All your are doing is NOTIFYING. And that is correct, to use a form with only the legally necessary info. HSLDA has one and I think CHEO has one. So this year all you do is send that in and notify. Next year, before the start of the school year you will notify for the upcoming year, and at that point you will include test scores or portfolio review letter from certified teacher (saying dc is performing at ability level).

Yes, in the outline hit the subjects and delineate a plan for each. They're not there *approving* or disapproving of your plan. The need is for you to show that you *have* a plan for dealing with the subjects the law specifies. It's all on the CHEO site.

Make sure that you don't give the school district more than they are legally required to collect. This year I got in a wrangle with the school district (for the first time in 7 years!) because they hired a new person to receive the letters of intent, and she didn't know the law. She sent me a letter that my notification was "denied" (she can't deny it) because I only sent the composite scores of the test, not the individual subscores. I sent them a letter by registered mail explaining (and citing) the relevant section of the law, which states that the student must test at or above the 25th percentile and she can't require subscores just because she wants them. I also explained that, since it took them 6 weeks to respond to me notification, I was automatically in compliance because they failed to respond within their allotted 14 calendar days. I then requested that I receive my excusal letter within 14 days. When it didn't arrive, I called the school district and demanded my letter, which arrived two days later. ;)

All this to say, don't let them bully you, and don't give them more than they are legally required to collect.

Tara

My school district does not have any kind of "homeschool packet". I just send a letter of intent to the superintendent saying we will cover all the required subjects and include a very vague list of curriculum I intend to use. I use a portfolio review instead of testing and keep a 3 ring binder throughout the year and add samples of work, photos, workbooks, or lists of books read throughout the year. I take it to a homeschool friendly retired teacher who says to "just bring whatever you have" and she fills out a form saying I met the requirements. The form is sent with the next Letter of Intent and the school district never sees the portfolio at all.

I've only had one issue and that was my first year. I got a letter from the superintendent saying he was "inclined to approve", but needed to know that the homeschool teacher met the requirements. He was very careful to point out that he didn't need to see diplomas or specific evidence, but just needed to know if and how the teacher met the requirements. I live in a University community where degrees are valued and expected and I was feeling a bit annoyed by the letter, so I gave him more than required. I not only stated my high school graduation place and date (more than enough information), but also the degrees I have. My letter arrived several days later.

I got a letter from the superintendent saying he was "inclined to approve"

He doesn't get to "approve" or "deny." He only gets to verify compliance with requirements. It's a real problem when the school officials aren't even clear on their role.

(1) If the superintendent, upon review of the information, determines that it is in compliance with all requirements set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule, the superintendent shall notify the parent(s) in writing that the child is excused from school attendance for the remainder of the current school year.

Tara

He doesn't get to "approve" or "deny." He only gets to verify compliance with requirements. It's a real problem when the school officials aren't even clear on their role.

(1) If the superintendent, upon review of the information, determines that it is in compliance with all requirements set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule, the superintendent shall notify the parent(s) in writing that the child is excused from school attendance for the remainder of the current school year.

Tara

Oh, I know that and I wasn't a bit worried about it. It just seemed weird that he felt the need to make an extra check for compliance in that area since he knows both of my older children. They graduated from the high school laden with awards (AP Scholar, Merit and Honors diplomas, Eagle Scout, National Honor Society) and it doesn't seem likely, especially in our community, that their parents were high school dropouts who don't care about education.