Menu

Latin

I chose to make a fairly quick run through Getting Started with Latin. I wanted dd to get the basics fairly quickly so she could go ahead and move on to something more difficult.

http://www.amazon.co...rted with latin

She likes it. It is small, manageable chunks. I figure it will give her plenty of exposure before throwing her into something more difficult next year (Henle, Wheelocks, etc).

I think Lingua Latina is the great program if what you are planning is two years of latin/ foreign language. This recommendation is simply bacause it is the most appealing to me of all dd's latin curricula. Someday I will finish that course!:)

If your plans are more long term Wheelocks or Henle with MODG study guides.

Are you planning on learning it alongside your child?

I used Henle and learned it alongside my children. We did do Latin Christiana 1 first, but we didn't do it very thoroughly. I think the idea of using Getting started with Latin is a good one.

I think using a reading based program such as Cambridge or Lingua Latina with you not having a Latin background would be very hard.

To do a reading based program well I think you need to know the grammar and drill it.

If you are not going to learn it alongside your child, then you could consider an online class. If not, then find a resource person that could answer questions.

HTH,

Kendall

P.S. I did not "Do" the Latin as thoroughly as my children did. I didn't memorize the vocabulary and I did most of the exercises in my head using the key quickly to check. I took whatever shortcuts I could(I had two babies during the 3-4 years we did Henle). So you don't have to put in the time your child does in order to be able to help them.

We started GSWL as a fun intro. I never could get into the Memoria Press stuff when DS was younger. Even my DS7 loves GSWL. My DS12 is using it as an intro before doing Lingua Latina. We ordered it after looking at samples online (link from GSWL website) and DS was excited that he could translate it. It uses an immersion approach. We plan on using the college companion and the extra books with it. I also downloaded the audio CD from Amazon. Our goal is to finish it over 1-2 years and do the 2nd part and prep for AP exam in high school.

I recommend the following:

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana

These are two nice little books to get started with. You can go through them

fairly quickly. Christian books.

Ecce Romani I

This is a nice easy straightforward beginner book with tons of vocabulary,

grammar, and culture.

Latin for Americans (Glencoe)

This is a harder, longer text. Very straightforward as well.

Oxford Latin

These are fun but not so straightforward. My favorite.

Cambridge Latin

Fun also but also not so straightforward. My second favorite.

Wheelock

DS's favorite. It is harder but cooler than any of the others. Not so

easy but apparently DS likes it.

I chose to make a fairly quick run through Getting Started with Latin. I wanted dd to get the basics fairly quickly so she could go ahead and move on to something more difficult.

http://www.amazon.co...rted with latin

She likes it. It is small, manageable chunks. I figure it will give her plenty of exposure before throwing her into something more difficult next year (Henle, Wheelocks, etc).

I agree. My twins have been working through Getting Started with Latin this year, and

they are enjoying it.

How old are your children? Are we talking middle school age? If we are then I would definitely consider First Form Latin which has superlative explanations IMO. You could do First Form faster for an older child. My ds does whole lesson in one sitting. First Form is by Memoria Press and has a series of 4 books and DVDs to go along with them.

For those who listed resources, what ages do you think they are appropriate for? I will be moving to homeschooling soon, starting with 6th and 4th grades. We will all be starting Latin together. Are some of the resources listed too much for a (very sharp) 4th grader?

Much as I love "Lingua Latina", I think it would be tough to use without a teacher who knows Latin. There's just a lot of little things that are easy to miss. For middle school and up, I like "Latin for a New Millenium".

• 2 months later...

I have taught Wheelock's Latin for 6 years now and find the structure of the book to be very beneficial for older beginners and those wishing to learn Latin at a faster pace. For those who are getting started in classical education with older students, it is sometimes tricky to find a good curriculum or outside help that will be practical and fast-paced enough for an older student to catch up. Additionally, many online classes exist which are geared toward students who can afford to spend 4 or 6 years on Latin, but very few that offer intensive Latin throughout the school year.

With that in mind, I've decided to teach a live online intensive Latin tutorial for high school and adult beginners for the 2013-2014 school year. I use Wheelock's Latin and finish the entire book in one year (equivalent to two years of high school Latin or one year of college Latin). It is fast-paced, but not as fast as those Latin-in-one-week type classes. If you are interested in having your child learn with the help of a tutor, please feel free to check out my website which has a more detailed description of the class: http://coramdeotutorials.com/courses/latinintensive/

Best wishes on your planning!

Latina Ponti by Elisabeth Harvey. http://www.lulu.com/...51.html Coupon code VERNUM for another 20% off.

Mine arrived today. I've pretty much given up dragging my students through Latin, but I am looking forward to studying it on my own again.

HTH

Hi Michele!

I am just getting ready to start teaching an online Summer class using the Ponti text. And I'm also going to have the students read Lingua Latina, to get plenty of practice reading easy Latin. I've always loved Lingua Latina, but felt that it needed some structured workbook activity to go with it. So Latina Ponti is just what's needed.

Also, to those who wish to prepare their kids for a study of Latin, Grace is teaching an advanced grammar Summer workshop this month --teaching grammar through diagramming. It is going to be fascinating! If you can imagine grammar being fascinating. = :)

Latina Ponti by Elisabeth Harvey. http://www.lulu.com/...51.html Coupon code VERNUM for another 20% off.

Mine arrived today. I've pretty much given up dragging my students through Latin, but I am looking forward to studying it on my own again.

HTH

Thanks so much for mentioning my new book, Michele. Hope you enjoy! A new Lulu code that's good til June 7th is GLOW. ( It can be used for any of the books you may want from lulu! :)

PS: I am doing an online Mom's Latin workshop with it, too! For informationo to this page: http://www.harveycenter.org/

I have taught Wheelock's Latin for 6 years now and find the structure of the book to be very beneficial for older beginners and those wishing to learn Latin at a faster pace. For those who are getting started in classical education with older students, it is sometimes tricky to find a good curriculum or outside help that will be practical and fast-paced enough for an older student to catch up. Additionally, many online classes exist which are geared toward students who can afford to spend 4 or 6 years on Latin, but very few that offer intensive Latin throughout the school year.

With that in mind, I've decided to teach a live online intensive Latin tutorial for high school and adult beginners for the 2013-2014 school year. I use Wheelock's Latin and finish the entire book in one year (equivalent to two years of high school Latin or one year of college Latin). It is fast-paced, but not as fast as those Latin-in-one-week type classes. If you are interested in having your child learn with the help of a tutor, please feel free to check out my website which has a more detailed description of the class: http://coramdeotutor...latinintensive/

Best wishes on your planning!

Hi Jessica...

I registered our son for your Latin intensive for the fall. Can't wait to get started.