Menu

what goes in your kids' Easter Baskets?

kfeusse

Gum, candy, bubbles, balsa wood airplanes, parachute men, hot wheels or matchbox cars, paracord bracelets, mini lego kits, slinky, .... think stocking stuffers. I've found some neat ideas and fun gadgets at Rainbow resource. Oh, and if they are in scouts, or into camping, things like a compass, lanyards, water bottles. Do they play sports? Swim goggles, air pump for balls, baseball gloves or baseballs, batting gloves, shin gaurds.

Spring/summer pj's, t-shirts, books, cool socks.....

My kids are each getting a t shirt from outofprint.com, (frog & toad, mike mulligan, and wizard of oz) and the coordinating books to go with them, my daughter got a stuffed bunny, my older DS got a tin of robot magnets and scenes, and my younger DS got a Thomas train.

We do one homemade chocolate lollipop, as we have food allergies and vegan diets to deal with.

I don't do individual baskets. Too many kids lol. No it just works out better for our family to do a big easter bunny pile. And I dont feel like I have to make it even for everyone. We got them candy, a couple balls (basket ball and soccer ball), some games(ad libs and travel game) and some outdoor toys. I thought about getting some new gadgets for their bikes but never got there. We also got the crowd some beach stuff since we have a big trip planned for the Oregon coast this summer and all the kids are way excited about it already.

Christina

Arts and crafts, a new bible, some of those Cuties if I can find them (both boys LOVE fruit) and of course some chocolate! I'm not anti-candy but I hardly buy any because they get it from so many other places, and I throw most of it out.

Books, clothes, spring-type outdoor toys (new bike helmets this year), a small amount of high quality candy/chocolate, and a box of pre-packaged carrot cakes.

I do one big basket and put in some little things for me and DH too.

In our home this is a "spring basket" and can show up any day after the first day of spring, generally before the end of April -- avoiding actual Easter weekend. I basically give it whenever it's ready. (We do Easter sunrise stuff, followed by Church breakfast, regular Church and then family stuff -- and that's absolutely enough logistics in a day without adding morning gifts!)

What's an Easter Basket? Do you give gifts for Easter?

I'm going to take a really wild guess about this. Sometimes a custom from other countries' religious traditions is brought to America by immigrants from those countries. Over the years, the original custom morphs into something scarcely recognizable when compared with how it started out. Consider, for example, how St. Nicholas (born on the southern coast of present-day Turkey) eventually morphed into an overweight elderly man in a red suit with a red hat, and all the rest of the associated baggage.

My wild guess, then, is that immigrants from Central and Eastern Europe brought their custom of bringing to the Easter (Paschal) service a basket filled with the many foods from which they had fasted during the long Lenten period before Pascha (Easter). In my Slavic Orthodox tradition, for example, our Pascha baskets (for May 5th this year) will contain assorted meats, cheeses, butter, olive oil, wine, eggs, and whatever baked goods and sweets are traditional for the family's ethnic background. These all are foods which we have not eaten throughout the entire Lenten period, and we are ready to break out and party, big time, in honor of Christ's Resurrection.

The American modified version, then, becomes the rabbit routine, candy, toys, and whatever else appeals to a family. Fun things to celebrate a happy day within ones religious tradition.

At any rate, this is my best effort to answer.

This year we decided to do Easter baskets (partly because our homeschool group is doing an egg hunt tomorrow & I had to get baskets for each of my kids to participate ...so depending on how much candy we get tomorrow, I will add a few mini-pieces of candy to each of their baskets.

I am giving my older kids (10+12) the new LEGO Star Wars DVD: Empire Strikes Back w/mini-figure (we collect all things LEGO and Star Wars and I have been able to keep the DVD a secret which is pretty amazing and fun! Another "shared gift" is a series of Audio Radio-Stories on CD (they enjoy listening to them while they play/craft). Today, I picked up a small pack of Wiki-sticks plus one for my 2 year old, he loves sticky stuff and 2 silly putty eggs. The husband picked up a Cars 2 toy key/rattle set for our tot & I got a sensory ball that bounces but not too high, is soft plastic, and can be washed in the sink! Besides that I may have a few odd little things I add in, it just depends what I have in our gift tub and what I find if I am out and about this week/next.

This year we decided to do Easter baskets (partly because our homeschool group is doing an egg hunt tomorrow & I had to get baskets for each of my kids to participate ...so depending on how much candy we get tomorrow, I will add a few mini-pieces of candy to each of their baskets.

I am giving my older kids (10+12) the new LEGO Star Wars DVD: Empire Strikes Back w/mini-figure (we collect all things LEGO and Star Wars and I have been able to keep the DVD a secret which is pretty amazing and fun! Another "shared gift" is a series of Audio Radio-Stories on CD (they enjoy listening to them while they play/craft). Today, I picked up a small pack of Wiki-sticks plus one for my 2 year old, he loves sticky stuff and 2 silly putty eggs. The husband picked up a Cars 2 toy key/rattle set for our tot & I got a sensory ball that bounces but not too high, is soft plastic, and can be washed in the sink! Besides that I may have a few odd little things I add in, it just depends what I have in our gift tub and what I find if I am out and about this week/next.

what are Audio Radio CD's???

We used Easter Baskets to do an egg hunt- plastic eggs with candy or little tiny treats inside -like stickers or eraser or tiny toy. We never delivered them with the stuff in it- what fun would that be? Then the kids took empty baskets and used them at community Easter Egg hunts or church hunts or homeschool hunts or wherever. We also would have a homemade hunt either in our yard or house. The kids loved it so much that they all did it till they were out of the house (home hunt, not community hunt at later teens). They never got toys on Easter outside of a stuffed animal from grandma when they were little.

Growing up we got a basket with candy from the "Easter bunny" who is kind of like Santa, but doesn't bring several gifts. With my own kids I do a small gift because I don't want to buy them a huge basketful of candy.

The Easter bunny bring the eggs here too for many families including mine.

I'm going to take a really wild guess about this. Sometimes a custom from other countries' religious traditions is brought to America by immigrants from those countries. Over the years, the original custom morphs into something scarcely recognizable when compared with how it started out. Consider, for example, how St. Nicholas (born on the southern coast of present-day Turkey) eventually morphed into an overweight elderly man in a red suit with a red hat, and all the rest of the associated baggage.

My wild guess, then, is that immigrants from Central and Eastern Europe brought their custom of bringing to the Easter (Paschal) service a basket filled with the many foods from which they had fasted during the long Lenten period before Pascha (Easter). In my Slavic Orthodox tradition, for example, our Pascha baskets (for May 5th this year) will contain assorted meats, cheeses, butter, olive oil, wine, eggs, and whatever baked goods and sweets are traditional for the family's ethnic background. These all are foods which we have not eaten throughout the entire Lenten period, and we are ready to break out and party, big time, in honor of Christ's Resurrection.

The American modified version, then, becomes the rabbit routine, candy, toys, and whatever else appeals to a family. Fun things to celebrate a happy day within ones religious tradition.

At any rate, this is my best effort to answer.

Thanks, I hadn't realised this. Easter is big here, but big for chocolate eggs, not so much other things. The shops are full of eggs, and it really is a gorge on chocolate time.

It's nice to see what happens all over the world.

what are Audio Radio CD's???

Can't answer for tshirtyogapantetc, but we've got great radio etc readings and dramitisations here...

http://www.audiogo.c...io/children-s-1

Look at their dramatisations too, we've enjoyed the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and The original Radio series of Hitchhiker's Guide(s).

Hope this helps.

My kids get a choc egg, or rabbit or humpty dumpty.

But they do get one from nearly EVERYONE so I have to help them out with eating them. :)

Usually they spend Easter with their dad and get from me a bit later and a LOT cheaper.

Which means better quality chocolate.

I used to do one easter basket and just made sure there were 5 of each candy type for the kids. But somehow I started doing individual baskets. I usually do a little candy and then one or two small gifts. This year the girls are getting a necklace and socks and my son will have nerf darts in his. Other than that they will each have their chocolate bunny and 2 other candies.

Earlier this week ds asked if I was the Easter Bunny and if so, he wanted to let it be known that he could really use a few new pairs of socks, LOL! I was also planning on getting him a new pocketknife and a compass. There will be a chocolate bunny and maybe an Almond Joy or another favorite candy.

I have a couple little garden gnomes and a chicken-shaped cookie cutter for dd. She'll get a chocolate bunny and some candy as well.

Finally, we keep chickens and usually get a few new chicks each spring. It's become tradition that the chicks arrive in a basket on Easter morning. We'd be getting them anyways, but having them arrive on Easter just makes it all the more fun for the kids.

Well, my DD8 just decorated a basket for a community contest this weekend-it contains a book, playmobil figures, and decorated eggs. Which, basically, is what she's used to seeing in HER basket-books, small toys, and decorated eggs, but little or no candy-mostly because once she gets through a homeschool egg hunt, a church egg hunt, and a community egg hunt, she doesn't need any. Besides, I've trained her well-she already plans to go out on Easter Monday and get half price Jelly beans and Peeps ;)

Thanks, I hadn't realised this. Easter is big here, but big for chocolate eggs, not so much other things. The shops are full of eggs, and it really is a gorge on chocolate time.

It's nice to see what happens all over the world.

Well, this is what I do too, right here in America - chocolate and candy, egg hunt, no gifts. Maybe I'm unAmerican? Is this a regional thing?? I have never heard of giving gifts for Easter till I came and read these threads which make me go :confused1:

I personally loooove the idea of holidays that don't include gifts. Christmas, birthdays, all done. I don't need more shopping headaches.

My dd - 14 is getting a spiral curling iron and some temporary blue hair dye. I will put some chocolate in hers and maybe peeps.

My ds - 8 is getting a small nerf gun, some dive sticks, and silly string along with chocolate.

My mom and sister do an egg hunt with candy filled eggs. That is why I just do a little chocolate.

We do usually try and include something that contains stuff they need. Its not at all unheard of for the "easter bunny" to bring socks or shoes or anything else. Usually stuff for the summer. And then a few candies for everyone. Also our Easter bunny comes Saturday because I want to celebrate the bunny from the religious aspect of it. I told the younger kids that we can put a special request in to get it earlier if needed. Same thing can happen with santa for certain families (We have alot of families in our area where fathers work Christmas day and so santa comes early to them.

Christina

Sadly, my dd12 told me that she wished she would get a new nebulizer like the small ones they have at the ER for Easter. That certainly can't happen without another visit to the allergy doctor, which we don't have scheduled until after Easter.

My girls are planning to raise chicks again so they can try to make a profit selling eggs this summer, if the bobcats don't get them again. I am hoping the farm store has some chicks in next week so I can surprise the kids with them.

Other than that - they will get a little bit of candy in their baskets and a stuffed animal and maybe a pair of sandals since they both need them anyway. I might put in one of those wind-up chickens that lays jelly bean eggs - they make me laugh which a good reason to include them in the basket.

We don't ue an actual basket. We use some sort of useful container (sand pail, toy mailbox, lego sort box). We fill it with one small chocolate bunny and some assorted toys and needed items. Typically, this includes: mini lego kit, matchbox cars, travel games, polly pockets, book, sand toys, swim goggles, socks, flashlight, etc.

We have an easter egg hunt but the eggs contain coins or nuts and raisins instead of candy.

What's an Easter Basket? Do you give gifts for Easter? We, here in Australia and home in Ireland, just give chocolate eggs for Easter.

Ahhh, but the size of the eggs, and usually there are things in the eggs, like small toys, or more chocolate. I loved the eggs when I lived int the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2284800/Easter-2013-Supermarket-Easter-egg-costing-just-5-beats-Harrods-Hotel-Chocolat-blind-taste-test.html