Menu

Grieving, book ideas?

twoxcell

My cousins wife lost her dad to cancer last December. It was very hard and traumatic for the whole family. Her father was a devout Christian and she is as well. I was thinking of sending her an encouraging book or something because she is having a tough time of it right now. They don't live around here so I need to mail it to her. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a good book for someone that is grieving. I would prefer a Christian book. TIA.

I found a book called Tear Soup to be very comforting after my mom died. It's not particularly religious, but it is soothing in that it lets you know that it's okay for grieving to take time, and that everyone deals with grief differently. My dad's grief support group recommended it, It is sort of like a child's picture book, but for adults.

http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Soup-Pat-Schwiebert/dp/0961519762

After my dad and later my mom died I loved the book "Don't take my Grief Away from Me." Written by Doug Manning, if I remember correctly. The first half of the book deals with funeral stuff. It's the second half that is terrific. A kind, gentle, comforting book about the process of grieving. Everyone I've ever given it to remarked at how much it helped.

I agree w/ A Grief Observed. Another good one is True Confessions of a Grieving Christian by Zig Ziglar. It is how he dealt with the death of his daughter.

I think the title is just Confessions of a Grieving Christian by Zig Ziglar. I was looking for it through my library and that is what I found. Thank you for these suggestions as I recently lost a loved one.