Menu

Blogging and Writing Practice--Would you let your kids have a blog?....

amber in GA

I was trying to think of ways that I might could get my 13yodd to practice writing that would be fun for her. Do any of you let your kids do a blog? I thought that the idea of someone else in this world reading it might inspire her to work a little harder at being creative and perfecting her little writing snip-its. (of course I would make sure that she didn't post any personal info or pics)

Have any of you tried this with your kids? Any ideas for a theme that might be fun and get her creative juices going?

Thanks!

amber

cross posted to highschool board also...

My kids will journal rather than blog. I find that, when I am writing for myself, when I think my thoughts are just jumbled mess and it is okay because no one will read them anyway, I do my best work. :) I like the freedom of writing without an audience.

I think as long as kids are cautioned on internet ettiquette, it should be fine. No telling last name, where you live, and so on. Maybe not even using names.

He tends to start blogs, then drop them and start new ones. He's done several, each on different topics. He really enjoys blogging, and his writing is quite funny.

Blogging definitely got him enthusiastic about writing, although it has done nothing for his grammar or spelling!

Michelle T

Dd started one a little while ago, with dh's encouragement. I was hesitant and felt I'd rather she just did things the "old fashioned way" ;) (see me in my buick as a teen with my cassettes jammed into the 8 track adapter while all my friends were out buying cds!)

But I must say, its pretty cool. She shares hers with her friends, she's learning how the computer works (more quickly than I have, it seems), developing her typing skills and has literally created a brochure/newspaper sort of thing about her favorite books. Its very personal, with pics of our pets and polls about books, musings on characters in these books, but I can honestly say I'm impressed and its a good avenue. Her's is non searchable, but not password protected and she has no real "personal info" other than her email address (which comes directly to my box). Ds is insanely jealous and has started his own as well. His is going to be about how cool homeschooling is :D.