Menu

keratosis pilaris

Ultimately, if it is true KP? It is a genetic condition and there isn't much you can about it. Cleansing with mild soaps, moisturizing, these are things that have helped in my experience, but nothing clears it completely up.

I use a lotion bar every night after I shower, and it seems to keep my skin nice and smooth. The brand of lotion bar doesn't seem to matter, as I have used Jordan Essentials, something with honey that I found at Pike Place Market in Seattle, and others.

My daughter uses coconut oil in the shower. She just rubs it on her arms each night and lets it sit for a bit then rinses it off.

It seems to help though I wouldn't say it has cleared things up completely.

I've started using St Ives Naturally Smooth lotion for my KP and it seems to help. I haven't tried the more expensive lotions or creams for it but this is inexpensive and I can use it a few times a day, whenever I remember. I've also heard that supplementing with vitamin A can help but I haven't consistently tried it yet (I would start supplementing then get pregnant and stop).

We never did anything for Jackson's. it was worse in the summer when we were using sunscreen every day, but I noticed last summer it was much less severe than the previous two summers. He has only had a handful of bumps on both arms this winter. Our doctor told us it would probably clear up with age.

Mine went away when I went Paleo. :)

:iagree: :iagree:

I have very mild KP as does DS. DD has it more acutely.

It does seem to be largely diet related for us. Wheat and dairy are the culprits.

When we eat more Paleo, it goes away. But that is very hard for us to do!

We do better in the summer.

Mine is limited to the back of my arms. I've been gluten and dairy free for years. When I followed the paleo diet (Robb Wolf's version: no legumes, dairy, or grains) for a month last spring, it was disappearing. When I stopped, it came back. Eating low-carb seems to help, but not as much.

Thanks for all the ideas. We are trying coconut oil and if that doesn't help, we'll try some other moisturizers. I am pretty sure it is dietary with her. She was dairy free for years and never had it when she was younger. She started with it on her arms, and it began on her face last year. Not sure she'll be interested in dietary changes, but if it bothers her more in the future, it's encouraging to know that some have had success with that.

Every couple weeks I just exfoliate the backs of my arms with table salt. I do it in the shower. Seems to make it go away and it hardly ever comes back. I don't have it on my face, but I use baking soda on my face every day as an exfoliant. I bet it would help there.

Try the salt. It can't hurt and you can't beat the price.

Every couple weeks I just exfoliate the backs of my arms with table salt. I do it in the shower. Seems to make it go away and it hardly ever comes back. I don't have it on my face, but I use baking soda on my face every day as an exfoliant. I bet it would help there.

Try the salt. It can't hurt and you can't beat the price.

We'll definitely give this a try. It's too cheap and easy not to.

Try Amlactin. My boys have x-linked ichthyosis and there are some similarities to keratosis type issues. They like Amlactin better than Lac-Hydrin, because the Lac-Hydrin stings more than Amlactin.

Can this be bought over the counter?

Try Amlactin. My boys have x-linked ichthyosis and there are some similarities to keratosis type issues. They like Amlactin better than Lac-Hydrin, because the Lac-Hydrin stings more than Amlactin.

My doctor recommends Amlactin and exfoliation. I buy Amlactin at WalMart.

My dd has it. Nothing seems to make it go away completely. Not changes in diets, not exfoliating. Winter months are worse then summer months. Exfoliating does help. When she remembers she scrubs her arms with baking soda. I am going to have her try the salt. I don't know why I never thought to have her try coconut oil. It is not like I have a gallon tub of it in the kitchen or anything.

Exfoliate gently in the shower and use a lotion high in alpha-hydroxide (AHA). Amlactin is great for this. I've used it in the past, but I don't care for the smell or consistency (its a bit viscous) so I use Jergens Skin Smooting lotion right now. It probably has less AHA than Amlactin, but its good enough for me. It minimizes it but it doesn't get rid of it all together. I'm okay with that.

Oh, and don't pick at it too much. :glare: I've got at least one odd red dome from the early days when I didn't know what it was.

Exfoliate gently in the shower and use a lotion high in alpha-hydroxide (AHA). Amlactin is great for this. I've used it in the past, but I don't care for the smell or consistency (its a bit viscous)

LOL re the smell. I think it smells like Elmer's glue.

I'll second the Jergens Skin Smoothing lotion and exfoliation, Those 2 things keep my KP under control.

Alisa, do you exfoliate your face? We've done this the past couple of days and her skin seems a little irritated.

Thx!

Have you tried something like St. Ives apricot kernel scrub or those gentle scrubbing mitts? Not something with harsh dried strands, but something gentle and nubby.

It may take longer to get it under control with gently but it can be done. There shouldn't be marks after 15-20 minutes.

Have you tried something like St. Ives apricot kernel scrub or those gentle scrubbing mitts? Not something with harsh dried strands, but something gentle and nubby.

It may take longer to get it under control with gently but it can be done. There shouldn't be marks after 15-20 minutes.

I haven't tried the St. Ives, but we have this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043OYFKU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and she's using the Olay exfoliating lotion with it. I may try it and make sure it doesn't seem too harsh or that she isn't pressing too hard with the brush.

Thx!