Menu

Three month camping trip- UPDATE

NotSoObvious

It's for sure now! All four of us and the dog will load up our Tribeca with the pod on top and drive to Utah, then CA to visit family this June, into July. Then we'll have all of August and September to make it back east.

I am SOOOO excited. We'll be staying with family, camping, and maybe using Airbnb (thanks to someone on this board).

We'll do a quick trip out and hit the Grand Canyon before all our visiting in Utah and CA (where we've lived before), but our way back will be very new!

Here are places we are BOOKED:

Grand Canyon

Lake Powell

Coloma, CA/Sutter's Mill

Yosemite

Santa Cruz, CA

Redwood National Forrest

Cape Perpetua, Oregon

Fort Stevens, Orgeon

Glacier National Park, Fish Lake

We still don't know exactly how we'll get to Florida from there. We are thinking Lewis and Clark trail to St. Louis, then through Chattanooga and Atlanta??

We'll end up in Florida at the end of September to visit friends.

Do you have any tips for the bolded places? Things not to miss? We'll have our well traveled border collie and twin 10 year olds who are great travelers and history buffs.

Have a lot of fun and take a good pair of binoculars and a camera. The only place we have gone through on your list was the Redwood National Forest. We did do a cross country trip a few years ago before dd came along and had a blast. We were gone for 42 days. We did some camping, some staying in hotels and some staying in cabins. Buy a National Park Pass. You might also want a copy of this http://www.amazon.com/Road-Atlas-Camping-Edition-Atlases/dp/159775000X, it did have lots of information on campgrounds.

Awesome! It will be a huge memory maker. When I was 9, my parents sold a business and we took a 3 month road trip, because it was the first vacation they'd had in 5 years! We drove from Michigan to Maine, came back to Michigan for a wedding, and then took off for Montana. We also went to Glacier and Missoula. I remember the trip vividly, despite it being 34 years ago :).

Sounds awesome! We did a road trip that included the first few spots on your list about 3 years ago. It was fantastic.

Some of our favorites from the Redwood National Forest to Oregon:

- Fern Canyon (in the Redwoods) - it's an amazing canyon full of humongous ferns. I've never seen anything like it. You don't want to miss this.

- Agate Beach (near the Redwoods) - agates are semi-precious stones and this beach is full of them.

- Devil's Punchbowl (near Otter Rock, Oregon Coast) - large funnel-like area off the coast where the waves enter and violently churn, swirl, and foam. Very cool.

- Sea Lion Caves (Oregon Coast) - America's largest sea cave. Definitely uber-touristy but fun.

- Cannon Beach (Oregon Coast) - my favorite beach. So beautiful and rugged.

- Tillamook Cheese Factory (Oregon Coast) - fun tour and the grilled cheese sandwich in their cafe was one of the best I've ever had

- Multnomah Falls (East of Portland) - gorgeous waterfalls and beautiful hiking trails

- Bonneville Fish Hatchery (East of Portland) - very interesting and educational tour

Have fun! :)

Early September would probably not be too cold in Maine, and it will be nicer as all the tourists will be gone. (Late September it gets iffy).

I love Popham Beach in Phippsburg for its natural beauty. For beach camping check out:

http://www.oceanviewparkpophammaine.com

Baxter State Park and Acadia National Park are amazing, but both are quite a number of hours drive into Maine. If you want more Maine info, PM me with info about how far into Maine you are planning on driving. This native is always glad to guide people to the best Maine has to offer.

Sounds awesome! We did a road trip that included the first few spots on your list about 3 years ago. It was fantastic.

Some of our favorites from the Redwood National Forest to Oregon:

- Fern Canyon (in the Redwoods) - it's an amazing canyon full of humongous ferns. I've never seen anything like it. You don't want to miss this.

- Agate Beach (near the Redwoods) - agates are semi-precious stones and this beach is full of them.

- Devil's Punchbowl (near Otter Rock, Oregon Coast) - large funnel-like area off the coast where the waves enter and violently churn, swirl, and foam. Very cool.

- Sea Lion Caves (Oregon Coast) - America's largest sea cave. Definitely uber-touristy but fun.

- Cannon Beach (Oregon Coast) - my favorite beach. So beautiful and rugged.

- Tillamook Cheese Factory (Oregon Coast) - fun tour and the grilled cheese sandwich in their cafe was one of the best I've ever had

- Multnomah Falls (East of Portland) - gorgeous waterfalls and beautiful hiking trails

- Bonneville Fish Hatchery (East of Portland) - very interesting and educational tour

Have fun! :)

Wonderful! Thank you!!!

Early September would probably not be too cold in Maine, and it will be nicer as all the tourists will be gone. (Late September it gets iffy).

I love Popham Beach in Phippsburg for its natural beauty. For beach camping check out:

http://www.oceanview...pophammaine.com

Baxter State Park and Acadia National Park are amazing, but both are quite a number of hours drive into Maine. If you want more Maine info, PM me with info about how far into Maine you are planning on driving. This native is always glad to guide people to the best Maine has to offer.

Great! We are thinking of entering Maine from Montreal. That's a big if. Going that route vs just heading south from Fort Mandan adds 1,000 miles and at least 10 days. We have a lot of math to do.

I say visit the Redwoods and the Oregon Coast. ;) Check out Oregon State parks. There are a buncch if really nice state campgrounds on the coast. There is also Fort Clatsop near Astoria if the kids are interested in Lewis and Clark. ;)

Redwoods and Fort Clatsop are on the list! Yay!

Coming in from Canada to Route Six in Maine looks like you will arrive first in the beautiful Moosehead Lake region for camping.

Then you could head to Bangor for a quick stop to and see the small, but unique, Orono Bog. Then down to Acadia National Park and follow the coastal route back to NH stopping in any number of lovely coastal towns.

Redwoods and Fort Clatsop are on the list! Yay!

If you are going to Fort Clatsop, I recommend Fort Stevens State Park. It is the largest state campground in Oregon. Has tent, RV, Yurts, and Deluxe Cabins. Also there is an old 1800's fort you can tour there for the 5 dollar parking fee. :) Close to the redwoods I like Harris Beach State Park. It is in Oregon but it is close enough to Jedediah Smith and is much cheaper than California State Parks for camping. You can't really go wrong on the Oregon coast there is great stuff to do and see all they way up it. If you have any other questions about Oregon I may be able to help you.

• 1 month later...

Congrats! I remember posting on your first thread about this that we were doing something similar. We just bought a Skybox for our Subaru Outback this weekend! We will be heading east to visit family at the of June then up north and across again to Seattle for more family. Refining the camping list as we speak.

Please keep updating!