Menu

Making Disney Dinner reservations. Opinions/suggestions?

Lori C- Texas

We get to make our Disney dinner reservations on Thursday and I would love some opinions. We are going with our dd16 and dss 12 and 10. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Our trip is late September. My daughter has told me she does not want any meals with the princesses but any of the other Disney characters would be cool. We bought the Disney Plus Dining Plan. So, we get a table service meal each day. How do these choices sound? What would you change and why? This is our first trip!

Tuesday we fly in around 11 and then we will probably head to Magic Kindom after we get settled at the resort

Dinner at Chef Mickey

Wednesday Epcot Future world

Dinner at Garden Grill

Thursday Epcot World Showcase

Dinner at Tokyo Dining. Dh loves sushi He would also like Beirgarten but sounds like Tokyo dining has a great view of the fireworks....

Friday Magic Kingdom. We are hoping this will be one of the scheduled days for Mickey's Halloween party

Late lunch at Crystal palace

Saturday Hollywood Studios

Dinner at Sci Fi Cafe

Sunday Animal Kingdom

Dinner at the hotel for the kids and Dh and I will wonder around Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk and find something to eat/drink

Monday Fly home

Breakfast at O'Hana's and then wonder around the park of kids' choice until we have to leave for the airport

I would love to hear your opinions. I think I am most excited about all the food than anything else on this trip!! :)

We get to make our Disney dinner reservations on Thursday and I would love some opinions. We are going with our dd16 and dss 12 and 10. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Our trip is late September. My daughter has told me she does not want any meals with the princesses but any of the other Disney characters would be cool. We bought the Disney Plus Dining Plan. So, we get a table service meal each day. How do these choices sound? What would you change and why? This is our first trip!

Tuesday we fly in around 11 and then we will probably head to Magic Kindom after we get settled at the resort

Dinner at Chef Mickey

Dinner at Garden Grill

Dinner at Tokyo Dining. Dh loves sushi He would also like Beirgarten but sounds like Tokyo dining has a great view of the fireworks....

Friday Magic Kingdom. We are hoping this will be one of the scheduled days for Mickey's Halloween party

Dinner at Sci Fi Cafe

Sunday Animal Kingdom

Dinner at the hotel for the kids and Dh and I will wonder around Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk and find something to eat/drink

Monday Fly home

Breakfast at O'Hana's and then wonder around the park of kids' choice until we have to leave for the airport

I would love to hear your opinions. I think I am most excited about all the food than anything else on this trip!! :)

You picked a GREAT time to go! Very low crowds. Hopefully they will offer free dining!! We'd like to go in early Sept, but only if FD is available.

Your first day is going to be very tight. If you fly in at 11, by the time you get to your resort and check in, you won't get to MK until 3 at the earliest. Then, you have to leave the park to get to Chef Mickey's. (It's a short ride, but still, you have to leave a park you JUST got to!) I'd consider changing your MK dinner nights - Crystal Palace the first day and Chef Mickey's the third.

The other thing I notice is that you have three character meals. If that's what you want, great!! I just want you to be aware! I've not eaten at the other places you've chosen. (Tokyo Dining, or Sci Fi Cafe) And, I've only had dinner at O'Hanas, but it's one of our favorites!!!

Will you have a car? If so, that night you are at Animal Kingdom - can I recommend Boma?? Yummy African food!!! But, if you don't have a car - getting to a resort from your resort can take a lot of time!

Your plans look like a lot of fun!

You picked a GREAT time to go! Very low crowds. Hopefully they will offer free dining!! We'd like to go in early Sept, but only if FD is available.

Your first day is going to be very tight. If you fly in at 11, by the time you get to your resort and check in, you won't get to MK until 3 at the earliest. Then, you have to leave the park to get to Chef Mickey's. (It's a short ride, but still, you have to leave a park you JUST got to!) I'd consider changing your MK dinner nights - Crystal Palace the first day and Chef Mickey's the third.

The other thing I notice is that you have three character meals. If that's what you want, great!! I just want you to be aware! I've not eaten at the other places you've chosen. (Tokyo Dining, or Sci Fi Cafe) And, I've only had dinner at O'Hanas, but it's one of our favorites!!!

Will you have a car? If so, that night you are at Animal Kingdom - can I recommend Boma?? Yummy African food!!! But, if you don't have a car - getting to a resort from your resort can take a lot of time!

Thanks! I am wondering how we will handle meals that first day. I am hoping to do Quick Service for lunch at the hotel and then do the latest dinner at Chef Mickey's and then crash for the night. No extra magic hours that night.

I wasn't wowed by the menu for Garden Grill but think the kids might like seeing Chip n' Dale but we were also thinking of going to Chip n' Dale's campfire movie night one night also. So, they could see them then. The night we are going to Future World is Extra Magic Hours so I figured it would be easier to eat at the park. Any other suggestions for restaurants at Future World?

Sunday Animal Kingdom closes at 6 (according to the website) and we won't have a car. So, we were thinking Date Night. :) Kids can do quick service at the hotel and then maybe watch the outside movie and then dh and I could go wonder around with out the kiddos.

Kids LOVE Lilo and Stitch. I know they would get a kick out of seeing them at breakfast.

DH is very much a free spirit and it really bugs him we have to schedule so far in advance. He said "What if we don't feel like eating there that night?!" :)

You can see Chip and Dale anywhere around the parks!!! Personally, I feel that the places that have characters meals have food that isn't as good. You can eat ANYWHERE in Epcot that night - not just in Future World. There are SO many great places - Tappan Edo, Coral Reef and the sit down place in Mexico. All great.

Leaving the parks for a meal is quite an ordeal. And, sit down meals take a long time. So, I'd recommend staying in the park, if possible.

I understsand your dh and not wanting to plan. But, you really need to. Reservations go fast. If you don't make them, you may not be able to find a place to eat. You can always cancel if you change your mind last minute. But you don't want to be stuck looking for food and unable to find a place with a seat available.

And, I love the idea of Date Night!!!

O'hana's for dinner is our favorite meal on property. We also like Kona. I would do Boma as well. I love it. You don't need a car. Because AK always closes so early we always get reservation for right before or right after closing time. Take the bus to AK Lodge and eat. When you are ready to leave it's a bit crazy to get back (but the food is so worth it). You just take a bus to any of the parks, then from there take the bus to your hotel.

Sci Fi is very hit or miss. I have tried it several times and have not gotten a "hit" yet. Ohanas is ok to us but we love Kona. I haven't had a bad meal there yet. If you have the time and like slap stick comedy try Hoop Dee Do Review. We love it and see it every year.

I'm not a fan of SciFi either, but we love Prime Time Café. IMO that is the only restaurant at HS worth eating at.

O'hana's for dinner is our favorite meal on property. We also like Kona. I would do Boma as well. I love it. You don't need a car. Because AK always closes so early we always get reservation for right before or right after closing time. Take the bus to AK Lodge and eat. When you are ready to leave it's a bit crazy to get back (but the food is so worth it). You just take a bus to any of the parks, then from there take the bus to your hotel.

I'm not a fan of SciFi either, but we love Prime Time Café. IMO that is the only restaurant at HS worth eating at.

Just be careful that the theme parks don't close before you leave the resort where you had dinner!! That happened to us one night and we ended up taking about 2 hours to get back to our resort.

With the ages of your kids, I think they might really enjoy Hoop-De-Doo Revue. Everyone in our party (ages 18 months to 70) loved it so much, we went twice!

We also really enjoyed breakfast at Boma, dinner at Saana, lunch at Be Our Guest in MK, lunch at Columbia Harbor House in MK, dinner at 'Ohana, lunch at Flame Tree BBQ in AK, and lunch at Beaches and Cream.

Earl of Sandwich is a great place to use CS credits if you are at DD.

The dining plan is *a lot* of food. It helped us a lot to read threads here and at disboards to plan how we wanted to use our credits, including the snack credits. If you tend to save credits at the beginning because you think you will run out, you will probably be scrambling to figure out how to spend them at the end.

Also, based on Dianne's recommendation, we bought PhotoPass Plus in advance. It was so nice to have so many great photos with all of us in them.

Enjoy!

Oh, and based on your schedule, you might be able to eat dinner at 'Ohana on a night when they are having fireworks at MK. You can watch them from your table, or walk down to the beach.

If you do an early morning character breakfast at MK, you get to walk down Main Street and take pictures without the crowds.

Just be careful that the theme parks don't close before you leave the resort where you had dinner!! That happened to us one night and we ended up taking about 2 hours to get back to our resort.

If you get a reservation around the time AK closes this wouldn't really be an issue. AK closes at dusk so there is always a park that is open later (usually by 2-3 hours).

I thought my boys would like Sci Fi Cafe. I think they will think eating in cars would be awesome. I'm not thrilled with having burgers and fries for dinner on vacation! :) I also read it was really loud.

It is dark and loud. And you sitting in front/back so you can't talk to your entire party.

Oh, and based on your schedule, you might be able to eat dinner at 'Ohana on a night when they are having fireworks at MK. You can watch them from your table, or walk down to the beach.

If you do an early morning character breakfast at MK, you get to walk down Main Street and take pictures without the crowds.

We saw the fireworks from 'Ohana in February. It was amazing! They pipe in the music to the restaurant and the view was spectacular. My kids loved it.

Dinner at Chef Mickey

Dinner at Garden Grill

Dinner at Sci Fi Cafe

Sunday Animal Kingdom

Monday Fly home

I've been to Disney over 100 times and just got back this week. The food is one of my favorite reasons for visiting the parks. However, I'm not sure which dining plan you mean. Is this the premium or platinum plan whereby you can eat at the signature restaurants? At any rate, after years of gobbling down Disney treats, here's my personal picks based on your schedule:

Tuesday-If you fly in at 11, you probably won't have much time for exploring a park unless you guys are night owls. Port Orleans has a wealth of activities and lots of places to explore. I would use that day to explore your resort, rent a Surry bike, and swim in the pool. Then take the ferry to Downtown Disney that night. Try eating at Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, Ragland Road, or Portabello. Bring a big appetite to all of those places. Even if you don't want to go to Downtown Disney to eat, you will have a fabulous restaurant at your resort. Order the pot roast at Boatright's if you can. It's no longer on the menu, but we oldtimers get it if asked nicely. Make sure you tell them to serve it over mashed potatoes.

Wednesday and Thursday-Epcot is full of great restaurants, My personal favorites are both restaurants in France, San Angel Inn, and The Rose and Crown. Stay away from Garden Grill and Coral Reef. Neither are worth the money.

Friday-Magic Kingdom. My all time favorite is Liberty Tree Tavern. They've recently changed it menu style rather than family style served. Nonetheless, it is still great. Order the turkey and dressing. You must specially ask for the cranberry sauce as it is not normally included. The cranberry sauce is to die for. Also, check out Belle's new restaurant, Be Our Guest. The food is fine and the technology will leave you speechless. This past weekend, the crowds were miles long to get in, however. Make sure you have reservations. We were lucky and got to eat there before it was open to the public.

Saturday-Hollywood Studios. Brown Derby's Cobb Salad, baby! Need I say more? Finish it off with some grapefruit cake and you will die and go to heaven. Whatever restaurant you ultimately choose, make sure you get the special which includes the laser light show.

Sunday-Animal Kingdom. This park usually closes fairly early. Leave the park by bus and go to Animal Kingdom Lodge to eat at Jiko's. Sometimes you can get packages which include savannah tours which I highly recommend. This food is a tad unusual, but oh so good. Jiko's is on my top five Disney restaurant list.

Other restaurants which are fun and/or delicious:

1. Citricos, romantic dining.

2. Artist Point

3. California Grill, get a window table at firework time

4. Ohana's which I like more for dinner than breakfast. I've eaten there at least yearly since the first year it opened.

5. Whispering Canyon, do not ask for ketchup.

HTH. Enjoy your trip.

Not to hijack, but we're going in a month and I hope I can get feedback, too. :001_smile: We're going in a month and taking the train. We're going to be staying at the Polynesian, and the train arrives at 11. I was thinking we might be able to get to the MK by 1 ish. Is that unreasonable? I was hoping we could have a late lunch at Be Our Guest.

We're eating at Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), Ohana, Restaurant Marakesh, Boma, Tepo Edo, Hollywood and Vine, and Whispering Canyon. My kids are 9 and 7 (almost 8), but they have no interest in character dining. Now I'm wondering if we're making a mistake not going to Hoop De Doo.

Not to hijack, but we're going in a month and I hope I can get feedback, too. :001_smile: We're going in a month and taking the train. We're going to be staying at the Polynesian, and the train arrives at 11. I was thinking we might be able to get to the MK by 1 ish. Is that unreasonable? I was hoping we could have a late lunch at Be Our Guest.

We're eating at Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), Ohana, Restaurant Marakesh, Boma, Tepo Edo, Hollywood and Vine, and Whispering Canyon. My kids are 9 and 7 (almost 8), but they have no interest in character dining. Now I'm wondering if we're making a mistake not going to Hoop De Doo.

You have GREAT choices!!! My family has very mixed reviews of Marakesh, but those who liked it really liked it. The belly dancer embarassed my boys!! :)

Will you have a car to get you from the train station to WDW? I have no idea how far that is. But, I would count on it taking a bit longer. You get to the hotel and you're going to want to look around a bit and unpack a little - right? We usually plan our first day as a "no park" day and we've been there countless times!! We just like to get our bearings, unpack, swim, maybe go to downtown Disney, etc. Anyway, I've never eaten at Hollywood and Vine, so I can't speak to that. But, Whishpering Canyon is hilarious! And, Boma is our absolute favorite!!!

Hoop De Doo is a dining show. If you are on the dining plan, it's two table service credits. We did it once and it is a TON of fun. But, it's not something we'll do twice, probably. You won't be missing anything if you choose to skip it.

I thought the Hoop De Doo looks fun but it would take two of our dining credits to go. Trying to stay with in our credits. :) Liberty Tree Tavern looks good! This is most likely going to be our one and only trip to Disney with our kids so I was thinking of doing all the character stuff just to say we did it. Now looking at all the suggestions I am might change my mind! :)

I thought the Hoop De Doo looks fun but it would take two of our dining credits to go. Trying to stay with in our credits. :) Liberty Tree Tavern looks good! This is most likely going to be our one and only trip to Disney with our kids so I was thinking of doing all the character stuff just to say we did it. Now looking at all the suggestions I am might change my mind! :)

The Liberty Tree Tavern was the ONLY restaurant dh and I would prefer to never go back to. The food was okay - a little salty, but okay. There was plenty, and it was filling. We have no complaints there. But the restaurant was poorly laid out. The restrooms were up the stairs and extremely small, with the line of women heading down. Toward the end of our meal I ended up walking out and around the corner to the 'public' restrooms rather than waiting half an hour.

We're picky, though. I made a list of acceptable places before we even hit the World so that our 10yo, who had to have the children's dining plan, had something other than the Greasy Trifecta (burger, nuggets, or hotdog) for our week stay. Now that they've come up with the Mickey Check meals I'm more willing to venture into any of the restaurants, but the Magic Kingdom was a toughie!

Dinner at Chef Mickey This one is a take it or leave it for us. If you're looking to see the fab-5 it's great, but the food? Ehh, we only like it for breakfast.

Dinner at Garden Grill totally my opinion, but there are so many better restaurants in Epcot!

Dinner at Tokyo Dining. Dh loves sushi He would also like Beirgarten but sounds like Tokyo dining has a great view of the fireworks.... Sushi is great, but there are other restaurants with what I would call a better view (even then no guarantee as your table could be set back). Depending on your reservation time, you might even prefer to eat first, then find a spot around the lake to view Illuminations. We like it over between Mexico and Norway or by France depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Late lunch at Crystal palace Crystal Palace is one of our favorite MK restaurants. Great selection of fresh dishes.

Dinner at Sci Fi Cafe Not our favorite menu and with a party of 5, one person would likely be sitting a row by themselves. Prime Time Cafe is just a kitschy, and the food is a little better, or we actually prefer to take the boat over to the Boardwalk for dinner at Flying Fish.

Sunday Animal Kingdom

Monday Fly home

Breakfast at O'Hana's and then wonder around the park of kids' choice until we have to leave for the airport O'Hana's is fun, but we actually like the breakfast selection better at Kona Cafe... right next door.

We're eating at Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), If you like the menu than it's OK. Our family doesn't care for it at all and would pick Crystal Palace for the varied selection.

Ohana, O'Hana is one of our favorites for dinner.

Restaurant Marakesh, If you're looking for something different, it has a wonderful selection. Other favorites around the lake are La Hacienda de San Angel in Mexico (great view of Illuminations if you get a window seat!),and Le Cellier in Canada.

Boma, Love this one!

Tepo Edo, It's a nice change of pace from typical TS.

Hollywood and Vine, Eww... our hands down least favorite Disney restaurant. So many other choices I would consider before this one (Brown Derby, 50's prime time, Sci Fi, Mama Melrose if you're looking to do a Fantasmic package).

Whispering Canyon. With the new menu, it's not on our family's list any more. I don't like having such a limited selection.

My kids are 9 and 7 (almost 8), but they have no interest in character dining. Now I'm wondering if we're making a mistake not going to Hoop De Doo. We don't like the "campy humor" of Hoop De Doo, but for those that do, they all rave about it. I have the same prolem here with the limited menu. I'd personally rather choose a restaurant that has a more varied selection and skip the kitschy show.

we have taken our dc to Disney several times (this was our first year not to go, due to Super Storm Sandy, but that is another story). Anyway, my dc have never wanted to do any character meals. We used to go to Sci Fi Movie Theatre restaurant but stopped going several years ago as it had changed and we did not like it anymore). Instead we started going to '50's Prime Time Diner and we love it. So much fun.

I have never once heard anything good about Hollywood and Vine restaurant so have never gone there..

We do like Coral Reef but mostly for the atmosphere, the food is okay, we have no complaints about it.

Oh, regarding the dining plan, my dd (age 17) and I split most of our meals as the portions are really big.

use your snack credits at the French bakery and the Norway bakery, both in Epcot, you will be happy you did.

we have taken our dc to Disney several times (this was our first year not to go, due to Super Storm Sandy, but that is another story). Anyway, my dc have never wanted to do any character meals. We used to go to Sci Fi Movie Theatre restaurant but stopped going several years ago as it had changed and we did not like it anymore). Instead we started going to '50's Prime Time Diner and we love it. So much fun.

I have never once heard anything good about Hollywood and Vine restaurant so have never gone there..

We do like Coral Reef but mostly for the atmosphere, the food is okay, we have no complaints about it.

Oh, regarding the dining plan, my dd (age 17) and I split most of our meals as the portions are really big.

use your snack credits at the French bakery and the Norway bakery, both in Epcot, you will be happy you did.

Hollywood and Vine is very good for breakfast. Lunch is another story.

Are the table service restaurants okay with splitting a meal? We are going this fall and I am hoping to get the table service dining plan. My 8 year old does NOT eat, so I would love to skip it for him and just let him share. I realize that wouldn't work for buffets, but the others maybe this is an option?

Are the table service restaurants okay with splitting a meal? We are going this fall and I am hoping to get the table service dining plan. My 8 year old does NOT eat, so I would love to skip it for him and just let him share. I realize that wouldn't work for buffets, but the others maybe this is an option?

the restaurants are fine with splitting, but you can't skip the dining plan for him. Everyone has o get it. Being that he's 8 he is still a child I'd still do it because the child prices, IMO, are a steal. I have one that doesn't eat and now that he's considered an adult it just worth it anymore.

Okay, pondering.......if we got rid of Hollywood and Vine, which would you guys recommend: Hoop de Doo or 50's Prime Time Diner? Is the show really fun?

. Either of those are great. We do PT every year. We haven't dne HDDR in years and my kids still ask when we are doing it again.

Character meals are fun for the kids, but I would just do one or two. The food isn't as good as else where. The Liberty Tree was my favorite regular meal there. Now, I don't know how many dining credits it takes, but if you can, splurge and go to Victoria and Albert on your date night. It is still the best meal I have ever had,,,ever! Such a romantic night.

My kids LOVED the Coral Reef as we were sitting right next to the aquarium and they both love fish.

Don't miss the beignets at Port Orleans.

50's Prime Time is especially fun for families that are good sports and can take be teased by the waiters and waitresses. For ex. at our last visit, a teen boy that was with his family at the other end of the restaurant was apparently giving either his family or his waiter a hard time so his waiter pushed the teen boy in his chair across the restaurant over to our table and he had his meal with us. It was funny and really not a punishment for the boy as we do have a very beautiful teen girl.

Oh and if you don't eat your green beans, they will reappear with your dessert

the restaurants are fine with splitting, but you can't skip the dining plan for him. Everyone has o get it. Being that he's 8 he is still a child I'd still do it because the child prices, IMO, are a steal. I have one that doesn't eat and now that he's considered an adult it just worth it anymore.

. Either of those are great. We do PT every year. We haven't dne HDDR in years and my kids still ask when we are doing it again.

Usually we stay in a value resort with free dining. I bring a camp mat for him to sleep on and technically he isn't in our room so he doesn't get a dining plan. Works fine for the quick service dining, but I wasn't sure how it would work for table service if we upgraded to that. Of course, the cost to upgrade may be close to the cost of upgrading our room to Port Orleans rooms that sleep 5. Then he would get table service for free during free dining. Guess I need to play with the numbers. Thanks!

Oh and for a snack in Magic Kingdom check out the waffle place next to Liberty Tavern. If you can, try and make reservations at Beast's Castle. We went for dinner and was truly magical!

I think this is convincing me that I want table service dining. How hard was it to get reservations for this? Thanks!

I think this is convincing me that I want table service dining. How hard was it to get reservations for this? Thanks!

My dh made reservations 6 months in advance for my 40th birthday. I think it is difficult to get into but well worth the try. If you can't go for dinner, go for the quick service meal at lunch to atleast look around.