Menu

Complete this statement. My in-laws are.....

scrapbabe

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

easy to get along with but on a different intellectual plane. Gets complicated. But they are quite easy going, I'm the one that's more demanding, but we have mutual agreements about the grandkids. :) I feel fortunate that they live close and are involved with all of us, yet have few demands. My mother on the other hand.... that's a whole other story!!

Absolutely wonderful in some areas, and so amazingly frustrating and nasty in others. In other words, they're human and have their flaws, but I very much appreciate their presence in my kids lives. Besides, they are only around in the summer, so I can handle that.

Sadly, my fil passed away and mil is so happy to be able to enjoy herself without him. :confused1:

I'm just wondering, are you upset that your MIL is not grieving enough since she is having fun without her husband? Or is it just that she's having so much fun that she never bothers to see you and your family?

My own in-laws are okay. We're not close, but they're harmless.

amazing!

I love my in-laws. They are awesome. They've never been meddlers. They support us in whatEVER we choose to do.

There are times when I can tell that my MIL doesn't necessarily agree with a choice we've made, but she would never ever say anything negative. She's very open-minded and listens attentively and unemotionally. They have always been very involved in DS's life (and ours) but never overbearing. They respect our school time and our rules 100%. They live 1.5 hrs. away from us and come to visit about every other weekend, a far cry from my parents who live 5 min. away and swing by once a year at Christmas (sometimes) on their way to somewhere better.

All that said, I do hate vacationing with them. The woman is a worry wort and takes decades to put her face on in the morning. :lol:

Incredibly selfish. Seriously. It astounds me. My FIL has seen my youngest ONCE. My dh's brother twice...his sisters.....one never

and the other once. There is about two phone calls a year from dh's brother and father and they only talk to dh.

My MIL and her DH are missionaries so we see them every other year. (They are awesome!)

Fair-weather. They remember us when we're in town. We're the only ones who live away from the area, so apparently it's our fault they don't remember the kids' b-days or them at Christmas. DH wanted our last assignment to be 'back home' and I'd rather anywhere else in the world than letting my children fsee the discrepancy between them and their cousins. It's easier now to pretend that G-ma picked out that special gift just for them instead of g-ma grudgingly sent an Amazon code after calling her out on fawning over the rest and blatantly ignoring them.

*sigh* I wish they cared more.

And case in point. They decided to wish one of their dogs Happy Birthday instead of my son. :glare:

The decision to stay away is easier and easier.

Amazing. I love mine. We live right next door to them, by choice and it is wonderful. My husband and I both have good relationships with them and my kids adore them.

My mom? You couldn't pay me enough to live right next door to her. No amount of money would be worth it. Maybe if our only other option was being homeless. We see her and have a relationship with her, but we don't see her that often. And she only lives a few miles away.

:iagree: This is me exactly, except my parents live a bit farther away.

My inlaws are ...

giant pains in my arse.

The flip side being that they've taught me a lot about patience, maturity, and the importance of keeping my own trap closed when and about my own kids' significant others. It's been a great lesson for me. I just wish the bell would freaking ring already and class could finally end LOL.

I'm just wondering, are you upset that your MIL is not grieving enough since she is having fun without her husband? Or is it just that she's having so much fun that she never bothers to see you and your family?

My own in-laws are okay. We're not close, but they're harmless.

No, not at all. The details are more than I'm comfy posting here. You can pm me if your interested.

My inlaws are....people! While we generally have a good relationship we've had our moments.

Very, very, human.

:iagree: :iagree:

I am sad that they live in another country. However we work together to make sure that we see each other once a year. They come to us 2 years in a row (as it is cheaper and they are retired) We go visit them (and dh's hometown) once every 3 years.

They came and stayed with me and took care of ds while I was have dd. They join us on vacations whenever they can. They are fun to hang out with and we are very close.

Being that close, we do occasionally disagree, especially MIL and I, but we always work it out and talk through everything. I am very lucky. Also, one of dh's brothers is more of a little brother to me than BIL.

My in laws came over (including BIL) when my siblings got married, the two families have totally blended into 1.

finally nice. MIL is demented and can't remember why she never liked me :laugh: (and I never knew why) and is now quite pleasant. FIL has finally figured out that all the bad things MIL said about me were not true (since she can no longer communicate). He is experiencing me on his own and actually likes me quite a lot :) and thinks my boys are the absolute best grandsons.