Menu

Any special reason I can't use the "enter" button when writing a post or message?

wapiti

I bit the bullet and restored my computer to a time before the most recent Windows updates. That fixed it. I don't know what will happen when the updates come back, however.

Me, too! This is driving me crazy. I am using a computer, not iPad or a tablet. On my last few posts, the text flies all over the screen and then reappears in place once I have finished typing.

That's quite a visual, LOL!

Just came to see if anyone else was having this problem! It's never happened before this weekend. And I know it's not my computer, as it works fine on other sites. I did just restart, and still not happening. Very strange. Maybe Other John or another web genius has some ideas why this happens? (Just tried shift-enter, and that didn't work either.)

ETA: But, interestingly enough, apparently it works when I use Firefox instead of IE. :)

It's the latest update to Internet Explorer. It disabled the function of the Enter key as a carriage return in a text field. Now the Enter key works only as an activator (Go!) when the button is high lighted.

One of the most annoying updates ever. You can remove the update as someone mentioned above. Or use a different browser - I ended up downloading FireFox and using that instead because IE no longer functioned properly for many of my work programs. FireFox is working great and it happily imported all of my bookmarks and settings from IE when it installed.

It's the latest update to Internet Explorer. It disabled the function of the Enter key as a carriage return in a text field. Now the Enter key works only as an activator (Go!) when the button is high lighted.

One of the most annoying updates ever. You can remove the update as someone mentioned above. Or use a different browser - I ended up downloading FireFox and using that instead because IE no longer functioned properly for many of my work programs. FireFox is working great and it happily imported all of my bookmarks and settings from IE when it installed.

Bah. This just started happening to me and yep, I just ran that Windows update. I ran it because my dang internet keeps switching off. Didn't fix that problem. What a PITA.

Yes,

I use three browsers (IE, FF & Chrome) and I can confirm that it is the IE 10 update. This particular forum host is not IE 10 compatible which needs to be addressed also. So an update to IE breaks the way the forum works. I participate in other forums and this is not a problem, only these IP Board forums.

The short term solution is to use another browser. Longer term solution is that they fix the forum software and/or IE patches their browser. But I won't hold my breath for either of those. Maybe there is a way to disable some of these new IE 'features', not sure.

Here is the bug report for IP Boards. However, it looks like whoever tested it didn't do a thorough enough job because the Status reads: "Cannot Reproduce." More than likely they were using another older browser vs. IE 10: http://community.inv...-in-ie10-r38650

Based on the responses in bug report it does not appear to be high on the priority list to fix. Notice the report date was back in August.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I stuck with IE for so long just out of habit. Now I use Chrome primarily and FF as a backup. Both I find superior to IE *and* take up less resources. If you use chrome there is a great plugin I found called AdBlock which block a lot of web page ads, videos and all kinds of other junk. It makes web browsing so much more enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I can't "return" either and it's driving me nuts. Has been since this new board. How did you all fix it? I will not change to FF either if that's what it takes. What is Chrome?

Google Chrome. Its the best browser by a long shot IMO. There is really no reason to stay with IE anymore except just out of old habit which was my excuse. IE has the most bugs, security problems, virus attacks, etc... Chrome even has an 'import IE bookmarks' feature which makes using Chrome painless:

https://www.google.c...chrome/browser/

Try it. you won't regret it. That *is* the solution unless you want to wait needlessly for IPBoards to Fix their IE incompatibility problems...

BTW, you can still use IE for all other things if you really want to. There is no rule saying you must only use one browser. However once I saw how much better my computer ran using Chrome and I got used to it there was no need for IE anymore. It's obsolete as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to use the enter button by clicking on the toggle switch at the left top while making a post. It does not allow any bolding or other fancy, dancy options, but I get my paragraph breaks back.

It is IE at fault, in my case. I read the fix somewhere on this site. IE does not hate other sites in this manner.

I agree that IE doesn't hate other sites in this manner. It's only problematic on this forum. ONLY. I've switched to Chrome and it didn't help, so I went back to IE.

Yes...the toggle switch fixes it, but formatting isn't available. Which is fine. I'd rather "return". :)

I agree that IE doesn't hate other sites in this manner. It's only problematic on this forum. ONLY. I've switched to Chrome and it didn't help, so I went back to IE.

Yes...the toggle switch fixes it, but formatting isn't available. Which is fine. I'd rather "return". :)

I could not see this bug in any other browser besides IE 10. It works fine in Firefox as well. Stange that you were getting it in Chrome. Do you have the latest version of Chrome?

I could not see this bug in any other browser besides IE 10. It works fine in Firefox as well. Stange that you were getting it in Chrome. Do you have the latest version of Chrome?

Yep! Brand new.

I'm sure it's IE 10. I'm completely unimpressed with it. I could remove IE 10 and go back.

Yep! Brand new.

I'm sure it's IE 10. I'm completely unimpressed with it. I could remove IE 10 and go back.

Hmm, you could go back to IE 9 which is kind of a pain and not really worth it IMO unless you have to use IE for some reason. However I was asking about the version of Google Chrome you said you tried. Maybe you were confusing IE with Chrome versions?

Chrome's current version is Version 27.0.1453.94 m which I am using right now and it works fine with this forum. I would try that again if you can. You can find it here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

it is a Browser app for Windows Surface. The toggle button doesn't allow me to type at all. I don't believe I can install Chrome on my Surface.

Geesh, that stinks. Microsoft really limits customers locking them in to only their products with that version of Windows.

No, I went direct. Looks like the same place I downloaded from. Actually, just using the toggle switch allows me to "return" and since it's only here, I'm okay with that. Google freaks me out a little though too. They're always in the news. Thanks though.