Menu

What health curriculum?

Amy M

Actually, my first question is whether I need to teach health or not. We are missionaries, but we follow homeschooling laws for IL. I can't get the laws to download from HSLDA, but I thought the only requirement for IL is to teach the same subjects as their public schools, and I think health is on the list. I would really appreciate it if some ILers could let me know whether it's required to teach health or not. I was going to skip it as a formal yearly subject until maybe a high school elective if it's not required.

But if I do have to teach health every year, what should I use? I would want something short on time, cheap, and independent as much as possible. I had thought ABeka had health readers for every grade, but then I saw that they have a TM later that is mixed in with their science TM, and I don't use their science. TIA for your advice!

I don't know if it would satisfy the requirements in IL, but we have to teach health in my state--however, it is very easy to document the every day discussions that fit into this area (e.g., healthy foods, proper hygeine, benefits of exercise, etc., etc...you could go on forever). Add in a few library books and/or online videos (BrainPop, PBS, etc.) and you've got it covered quickly and with no extra investment in curriculum.

Hopefully someone who knows the law in IL will chime in so you know if you even have to worry about it as a formal subject or not...

I don't know if it would satisfy the requirements in IL, but we have to teach health in my state--however, it is very easy to document the every day discussions that fit into this area (e.g., healthy foods, proper hygeine, benefits of exercise, etc., etc...you could go on forever). Add in a few library books and/or online videos (BrainPop, PBS, etc.) and you've got it covered quickly and with no extra investment in curriculum.

Hopefully someone who knows the law in IL will chime in so you know if you even have to worry about it as a formal subject or not...

I agree.

why not just assume it has to be formal subject.... but that doesn't mean a textbook has to be used for other subjects, so why does it have to be in health?

health in homeschool....

talk about food while they help prepare it. talk about hygiene while you do it... you're covering health/wellness all the time in elementary years. Add in topics as they make sense.. " why are we praying for so and so to be healed from cancer.. what's that?" then you answer. teach hygiene daily. talk about loosing teeth, growing stronger.

I don't live in IL. so I don't know.. but just wanted to say it's probably ok to use informal methods and real life to legally say you are covering it.

But if I do have to teach health every year, what should I use? I would want something short on time, cheap, and independent as much as possible.

What are you using for science? Are there chapters that could count as "health"?

I use the original (early 1990s) What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series. Every year there are topics in the life science section that can be counted as "health".

I'm thinking of using the Rod and Staff health. I know you can incorporate it without a book, but I really like a guide for everything. I like hand holding. ;) Anyway, the A Beka looks nice, but the Rod and Staff is super cheap. It's $6.25 for both the teacher's manual and the student workbook for 2nd. Really can't beat the price! We aren't required to have Health in my state, but I thought I would probably add it in for couple of grades just to make sure I know what I'm supposed to cover. That price makes it well worth it to me...even if I don't fully use it or even if I barely use it at all.

Good luck!

I'm in IL and we do have to teach health. I don't worry so much about a formal curriculum though. I've used Abeka Health for first and second grade and they are an easy read. There are a few questions spattered throughout and that's about it. Short and simple. For this year though I just found some online resources and we are reading books that correspond with them. We've done experiments for teeth and some lessons on nutrition. I don't put too much emphasis on it because we basically talk about health all the time. I figure that my kids are probably getting more "health" than the kids in public school do.

I'm in IL and we do have to teach health. I don't worry so much about a formal curriculum though. I've used Abeka Health for first and second grade and they are an easy read. There are a few questions spattered throughout and that's about it. Short and simple. For this year though I just found some online resources and we are reading books that correspond with them. We've done experiments for teeth and some lessons on nutrition. I don't put too much emphasis on it because we basically talk about health all the time. I figure that my kids are probably getting more "health" than the kids in public school do.

^^^I am in IL and this also what we do.

For my young ones (7&6) or health education is very basic and about everyday life.

I can find whatever I need at the local library, online, or on Netflix & Hulu.

In a few years I hope to get some kind of online program like Discovery Health.

What are you using for science? Are there chapters that could count as "health"?

I will be using MFW for their 2nd-8th grade cycle. This year for 1st grade, we're using SCM's 106 Days of Creation science. I have borrowed an old ABeka 1st grade health reader as well. There is one year with MFW that covers the human body for half of the year. That could work for that year. If we don't have to report anything to IL, then does the requirement really mean anything, kwim?

if you stay with mfw....

there were units in kindy program that fall in health category

I remember in CTG... some of the science units were health related

you mentioned RTR with the semester..

I can see opportunity in ADV to expand some of the units into doing health topics even though it's not written that way.

and then in jr. high with General science... last half of year is anatomy intro.

you could also use print outs from internet on stuff.. just to make sure you have your paperwork in order. here's one

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/teachingtools/worksheetgenerator/wtg/health.html

edhelper has stuff

but maybe all you need is a papertrail that you covered those topics over the years? taught them about their teeth, safety in the kitchen. that stuff....??

oh wait.. that means in mfw's ecc.. you have opportunity to do safety and health in kitchen when you do food crafts..

even though I lived in non reporting states... I kept papertrail just in case. topics covers and how it was accomplished.

HOAC--Hands of a Child?

Also wondering--I just got the IL homeschool laws, and apparently this is all there is:

"Instruction must be in the English language. Parents must provide instruction in the same “branches of education†that children of “corresponding†age and grade receive in public school. 105 ILCS 5/26-1.1. The statute identifies the branches of education as: language arts, math, biological, physical and social sciences, fine arts, and physical development and health. 105 ILCS 5/27-1. The State Board of Education treats biological and physical science as one branch, and physical development and health as one branch."

I'm wondering, since we apparently don't have to report anything, how binding this law is? Can "physical development and health as one branch" cover such things as my general talking to my kids about liking broccoli more than sugar etc. ;), and my kids playing outside riding bikes for hours each day?

Guest Lbrox

We used AOP Lifepac Health Quest for elementary health. My daughter liked it a lot. It is a workbook, but lots of fun activites are integrated into it.

I will be using MFW for their 2nd-8th grade cycle. This year for 1st grade, we're using SCM's 106 Days of Creation science. I have borrowed an old ABeka 1st grade health reader as well. There is one year with MFW that covers the human body for half of the year. That could work for that year. If we don't have to report anything to IL, then does the requirement really mean anything, kwim?

I don't like to overcomplicate things and tend to keep things pretty basic for all content subjects. I find the health topics in the original NtK science to be more than enough to cover "health" without adding anything.

Health and geography are all the content that some Amish schools teach. If they have to choose, most schools skip the health, before they skip the geography. Some schools don't teach any content and only teach the 3Rs and basic drawing.

Here is some Amish health. This is the opposite that there is a lot of science added to the health, instead of some health added to the science.