Menu

Espresso Machine Recommendation, please!

blessed3x

The Hive helped me when I needed a sleep machine....

Now I need a recommendation for an espresso machine. I *love* Starbucks Lattes, but cannot afford to go there as often as I would like. I have tried this cheaper espresso machine only to give it away. Yuck.

Is there a good, reasonably priced machine that works well? :bigear:

I have had this one from Gaggia in my Amazon cart for over a year but cannot afford it. :p I saw it at a local kitchen store, tried it there since they had one that they used and liked it. Of course.

Thanks, hive!

Jura Capresso. :001_wub: It is my favorite luxury. I am an espresso snob, admittedly.

DH and I did a ton of research before buying ours, and really planned what we wanted. We knew exactly what features we wanted, and we watched a ton of videos and reviews. We could have gotten a different type of Jura, with less features, but I wanted it to clean itself. And we wanted customizable options for each other, etc.

We bought ours refurbished, so the price was about half of what you'll see retail. We've had it for 3 years, and I still adore it. Every day. The machine keeps count of the drinks it's made, so we are well aware that we have saved money over our daily trips to Starbucks.

We did, once, have to send it for repair. I mourned it for the entire week it was gone. But other than that, it's been perfect. Oh, and the repair was our fault - not a problem with the machine.

If you love lattes or caps, you can get the refrigerated unit to put beside it, and you can have lattes and caps at any time without even pulling milk out of the fridge. Easiest thing in the world.

I hope you find something you love, that will last a long time! Definitely think long-term with this purchase, because replacing a good espresso machine is not something you'd want to do every few years.

Jura Capresso. :001_wub: It is my favorite luxury. I am an espresso snob, admittedly.

DH and I did a ton of research before buying ours, and really planned what we wanted. We knew exactly what features we wanted, and we watched a ton of videos and reviews. We could have gotten a different type of Jura, with less features, but I wanted it to clean itself. And we wanted customizable options for each other, etc.

We bought ours refurbished, so the price was about half of what you'll see retail. We've had it for 3 years, and I still adore it. Every day. The machine keeps count of the drinks it's made, so we are well aware that we have saved money over our daily trips to Starbucks.

We did, once, have to send it for repair. I mourned it for the entire week it was gone. But other than that, it's been perfect. Oh, and the repair was our fault - not a problem with the machine.

If you love lattes or caps, you can get the refrigerated unit to put beside it, and you can have lattes and caps at any time without even pulling milk out of the fridge. Easiest thing in the world.

I hope you find something you love, that will last a long time! Definitely think long-term with this purchase, because replacing a good espresso machine is not something you'd want to do every few years.

Thanks! Off to find this and look into it.

I love my Nespresso. If you have a Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table nearby, they will make you a Nespresso espresso at the store and you can try it out. It's probably not what a true espresso snob would ever use, but I think it's just as good as the daily (and expensive!) Starbucks Lattes it replaced for me. I have the first one linked, but my next one just might be this one.

Which model do you have ? I am still looking but hope to buy one this weekend. Thanks!

Which model do you have ? I am still looking but hope to buy one this weekend. Thanks!

Am I too late? I didn't see this till now.

It's this one: http://www.capresso.com/prod_super_avantgarde.html

We have the Jura Impressa S7, Avant Garde. We bought our refurbished, and paid less than half of the listed price. Still expensive, but oh, the joy it has added to my life!!! (I am such a dork about coffee!)

We bought the refrigerated unit to go beside it a few months later. :)

Am I too late? I didn't see this till now.

It's this one: http://www.capresso....avantgarde.html

We have the Jura Impressa S7, Avant Garde. We bought our refurbished, and paid less than half of the listed price. Still expensive, but oh, the joy it has added to my life!!! (I am such a dork about coffee!)

We bought the refrigerated unit to go beside it a few months later. :)

HHHmmm....

Where did you find a refurbished one?

HHHmmm....

Where did you find a refurbished one?

Seattle Coffee Gear: http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/espresso-machines?cat=95

It's been a few years. I see they have an S9, but not a refurbished S7. Their stock may change periodically though. They are very knowledgeable, and you could probably call them.

Maybe check the reviews on some of the other certified refurbished machines, too. :)

I would get a pump espresso machine if you can at all afford it. The steam machines, like the one you had, just can't produce the quality.

http://www.coffee-makers-cafe.com/espresso-machines.html

The one I have is no longer made. It is a KitchenAid Proline Espresso Machine. The one often touted as very good is this one:http://www.amazon.com/Silvia-Version-3-Espresso-Machine/dp/B00076SCVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1364507607&sr=1-1&keywords=rancilio+silvia

You can go to CoffeeGeek.com and read reviews on various machines. Those folks are SERIOUS about their machines!

Not trying to hijack, but what kind of beans do you use?

:bigear:

What kind of beans, and does anyone have recommendations for syrup?

I like flavored lattes and am ready to go to Starbucks to buy what they use but have been educated by the hive in other areas so thought I would ask before I do. :D

Ok, a new questions.

I am seriously looking at the Moka pot since we cannot afford the pump machine that I would want.

I read some comments about it being aluminum though and others suggesting getting stainless steel.

Any comments on these? Those who have and use the Moka pot, are you concerned at all? On the flip side, everyone says this makes the best espresso between the two. :thumbup: