Menu

What is the Most Absurd Thing You've Had to Say Today?

Crimson Wife

Stop chewing on your toenails!

I have to say this to DD a lot!! She has made herself bleed!

When I ask why she chew her nails (finger or toe), she says "I was hungry." Get an Apple!!!!

I did have to request that my child stop folding laundry and eat.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"unless your bleeding or on fire I don't need to know about it" (regarding my 4 year old niece and her constant tattle tailing)

That is my standard statement for tattle tailing. Drives me up a wall!!

I include vomit in my list . . .

Blood, fire, vomit . . . If it doesn't include one of those things, I don't want to hear about it!

"The car is not tipping over; you're sleep-halucinating."

We all woke up 10 minutes before the older ones had to leave for school. They dressed and ran out the door hyperventilating. I dressed and picked them up down the block. The doors on the car were frozen so they piled onto one seat together. It cheered the younger one up that they were tilting the car to one side with their combined weight. I'm pretty sure they weren't, but then again we were probably all sleep-halucinating, the full depth of reality was not there yet.

I use this all the time too and have since the first was old enough to understand it! They hear it more often for interrupting though, and I'm sure I said it yesterday. "Are you bleeding? On fire? Then you can wait." Sometimes, I like to throw in "Has an arm fallen off?" just to mix it up a little.

Here, too! Dd is famous for interrupting while I'm talking. Or banging on the bathroom door while I'm in the shower. Is she bleeding or on fire? No, she wants to know if she can watch a video. :glare:

I once knew a woman who was an air traffic controller at a military base. She (single mom) said her kids called her at work all the time for little things which interfered with her work. She told them not to, but finally had to be very specific. She said, "Do not call unless the house is on fire or a bone is showing." I'm not sure how long they went without calling but the next time she got a call the dc said, "Mom? A bone is showing." :scared: Now that was a real emergency.

I include vomit in my list . . .

Blood, fire, vomit . . . If it doesn't include one of those things, I don't want to hear about it!

My mother's rule when I was a kid: no calls unless you see Red (blood), White (bone), or Blue (lots of water; enough to cover the floor). Apparently, vomit didn't make the cut.

You can take the cobra, but it can't bite anyone-not even non-envenomed bites.

DD8 is doing a countries co-op this semester and is researching something related to the country every week. For her, that usually means snakes. This week's country was India-so along with her print out of her write-up and photos to show, she loaded her recorder, a basket, and a toy cobra in the car this morning. FWIW, apparently the cobra behaved itself pretty well.

"I know we haven't had cake yet, but I need to give you your birthday present NOW."

Ds4(!) was grumpy this morning and didn't want to open any presents until this evening after cake because apparently that's how you're suppose to do birthdays. Only he's getting a LOT of Playmobil sets for presents and I had to assemble them (so not wrapped) and I wanted to give them to him over the course of the day, one at a time, let him play with one for a while before giving him the next one.

This was yesterday, but, "No, you cannot take your cigarettes into the grocery store! Leave them in the van." Then upon returning, "Yes, you may finish your pack of cigarettes."

All said to my 7yr old. :D

....his Grandmother had just given him candy cigarettes. ;)

I love those things!!

"No, Sylvia, the blow dryer is not too heavy to carry." :confused1:

"Did that pencil lead break off in an existing wound?"

I have a pencil lead dot tattoo on my hand thanks to my sister. She ran around a corner with a newly sharpened pencil when we were kids. I don't think the tip broke off in the wound, but there was enough lead dust on it to leave a really nice dark spot for years. Over time it has faded to a light bluish grey spot.

I have a pencil lead dot tattoo on my hand thanks to my sister. She ran around a corner with a newly sharpened pencil when we were kids. I don't think the tip broke off in the wound, but there was enough lead dust on it to leave a really nice dark spot for years. Over time it has faded to a light bluish grey spot.

Ha! I have one of those in my knee, self-inflicted when I was nine. I didn't tell my parents because I did not want anyone cutting into my knee.

I said, "Well, Baby Jesus wants her laser, so please just let her have it."

The kids had been cutting "lasers" from red and yellow paper and then switched to acting out the Nativity. DD3 agreed to be Baby Jesus, so DD7 was trying to take away her laser. DD3 proceeded to scream and cry. I came out to tell DD7 to give DD3 back her laser. DD7 said "but she's supposed to be Baby Jesus!"

Today's "No you can not cook the pasta, we are going to McDonald's!"

Also "Make sure you bring your curls so we can buy the right dye for your hair" (we have to dye dd13's hair back to blond-it is currently green- but it needs to match her curly bun for dance festival)

Yesterday not said to my kids "go buy a vibrator"

ME: Leave the cat alone, your history does not require a cat

DD: Unless we are making a cat mummy

Me: Yes, then we would need a cat. but not today--- put the cat down

Quickly!

One of our pet cats died when we were doing Ancients a couple of years ago, and DD was very upset that we didn't mummify her. I'd thought she'd forgotten-until after she got her snake and commented "And when Wadjet dies, we can at least make HER a mummy, right?".

ds14: "Mom ds9 wants to be jewish, can we switch"

dd13: "Okay let's get you circumsized"

ds14: "we are never being jewish"

dd13: "ahhh you mean we can't get you circumsized now?"

it was at that point I came in and said "stop plotting ways to have your brother's junk amputated" and all she said was "awwww!"

Today's oddities were:

"Would you just go ride in the street." (Dead end with almost zero traffic, still it sound odd when you say it.)

"Quit loving your brother so much!" (I rounded the corner to find one boy trying to squish the other into the ground. When I asked what they were doing the one on top told me he was "loving on his brother." )

"unless your bleeding or on fire I don't need to know about it" (regarding my 4 year old niece and her constant tattle tailing)

That is my standard statement for tattle tailing. Drives me up a wall!!

Wow, you're tough! We must be softies because we allow 'broken bones' into the mix of acceptable tattling. (Unless you're bleeding, burning, or there's a broken bone, I don't want to hear it!)