Menu

What to do after CLE Math Level 5?

Jackie in NE

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a long time on the K-8 board, but I've come up against a decision with which I need your help. A little math background: We used MUS for many years with my older 2 dc. I was not always thoroughly pleased with MUS, but it appeared to be working, so I stayed with it. Enter my 2 younger dc. MUS just didn't work for the boys for some reason. Frankly, I was also bored with it, and I didn't want to put up with the gaps any longer. We switched to CLE. The boys were in 4th and 5th grade, but I started them in CLE 2 so that they could fill in the gaps. I expected much of CLE to be review, and it was. The boys love it, and are flying through it.My oldest, now in 6th grade, will be ready to start in CLE 6 next year. But looking at the scope and sequence of level 6, I just don't like it. CLE has made a very logical and thorough progression through CLE 5, but they seem to loose their focus in CLE 6. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I mistaken? I want the boys to be ready for pre-algebra in 8th grade, then Algebra in 9th, etc. Sometimes I think they would be ready for pre-algebra after CLE 5, but I really don't want to push it that much. So where do I go for ds, who will be in 7th grade next fall? What is a logical step between CLE 5 and Saxon Algebra 1/2 (our probable pre-algebra program)?

I look forward to hearing what has worked for all of you.

Thank you!

I just ordered CLE 5 to get my 6th grader caught up after using TT for the past two years. I was planning on continuing with CLE 6 if things go well. Is there something specific I should know about CLE 6 and what it teaches? I would have never bought a program to use just for 1 year. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on CLE 6 and what their experiences have been. Thanks!

I haven't noticed any problems with CLE 6. My son is finishing up CLE 7 and will do as much of CLE 8 as he can between now and the fall. He should be more than ready for algebra at that point, but he is a late bloomer and I may delay higher math one more year even though he's done very well with CLE, and he scores high on the IOWA each year.

My dd is in CLE 6 right now. She's almost done with LU 603. From what I have read, she would likely place in Saxon 8/7 if she gets halfway through CLE 6. I plan to let her get as far as she can until August and then give her Saxon's placement test and go from there. Even if she were to place in algebra 1/2, I am still inclined to put her in 8/7 because she will only be going into 6th grade and if she struggles at all with 8/7, I will have algebra 1/2 available as a cushion.

I would love to know your concerns about CLE 6. I love it and plan to use it through 6 only because I want Pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra I in 8th, and CLE seems to take 2 years for P-A.

Are you planning on using CLE 6 in 6th? If so, I am confused since it looks to me that CLE offers CLE 7 and CLE 8 which both appear to be pre-A and then Alg 1 in 9th grade. I just starting using CLE 5 to catch my 6th grader up and so far it's going well. I am also concerned on where we go from here as I was hoping to have to close to ready for CLE 7 by fall. I am expecting to go though CLE5 fairly fast.

Does the explanation in the TE get more detailed in the next books or after 501 (since this is suppose to be review). I am finding that there is not much actual instruction on HOW to teach a problem. Is it just assumed that I should know how to do it?

Are you planning on using CLE 6 in 6th? If so, I am confused since it looks to me that CLE offers CLE 7 and CLE 8 which both appear to be pre-A and then Alg 1 in 9th grade. I just starting using CLE 5 to catch my 6th grader up and so far it's going well. I am also concerned on where we go from here as I was hoping to have to close to ready for CLE 7 by fall. I am expecting to go though CLE5 fairly fast.

Does the explanation in the TE get more detailed in the next books or after 501 (since this is suppose to be review). I am finding that there is not much actual instruction on HOW to teach a problem. Is it just assumed that I should know how to do it?

The first book of each new year is completely review. Then in the rest of the Light Units, there are instructions on how to teach.

I haven't noticed any problems with CLE 6. My son is finishing up CLE 7 and will do as much of CLE 8 as he can between now and the fall. He should be more than ready for algebra at that point, but he is a late bloomer and I may delay higher math one more year even though he's done very well with CLE, and he scores high on the IOWA each year.

My dd is in CLE 6 right now. She's almost done with LU 603. From what I have read, she would likely place in Saxon 8/7 if she gets halfway through CLE 6. I plan to let her get as far as she can until August and then give her Saxon's placement test and go from there. Even if she were to place in algebra 1/2, I am still inclined to put her in 8/7 because she will only be going into 6th grade and if she struggles at all with 8/7, I will have algebra 1/2 available as a cushion.

I'm really glad to hear you haven't noticed any problems.with CLE 6. When I looked through it the other day, it looked heavy on geometry, and light on algebra.There doesn't seem to be enough work with fractions. It also seems to have a lot more consumer math than I would usually expect in a program that's headed the way I plan to go. I already own the light units. I had planned for my older daughter to work through CLE 6 in preparation for pre-Algebra. But as it worked out, she pretty much skipped the review, and went straight into pre-Algebra. Perhaps I'll stay with it, and find something to supplement with for the fractions.......

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would love to know your concerns about CLE 6. I love it and plan to use it through 6 only because I want Pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra I in 8th, and CLE seems to take 2 years for P-A.

I outlined my concerns in another response, but in a nutshell, it seems like CLE 6 doesn't have the level and amount of work with fractions that I would like to see. It seems to have a lot of geometry and some consumer math. Those are fine and necessary. I just know that my kiddos will benefit from a lot of work with fractions. Maybe I will supplement with LOF. Most likely, my 6th grader will start CLE 6 in the second semester of 6th grade, and finish in the 1st semester of 7th grade. If I supplement, I can probably stretch it out through 7th grade, then Pre-Algebra in 8th, and Algebra in 9th. That track is sufficient for my boys. I don't see them doing Calculus in High School..... but one never knows. We will see how things progress.....

Yes, CLE 6 in 6th is my plan. And so far, I haven't had a problem with the TMs, but we're only in 4th.