Menu

Spinoff from Bible version thread-question for ESV Reformation Study Bible users

Do you know if the new ESV Study Bible due out in Oct is in effect the "revamped" version of the Reformation Study Bible? I see that many of the contributors are the same (J.I. Packer, Wayne Grudem). Here's the link to this:

http://www.esvstudybible.org/#home

I am considering switching to ESV and this new one looks great!

Another question: it looks like ESV is maybe preferred by believers of the Reformed persuasion? I know nothing about church history, etc.; I just believe in Jesus and the Bible. Would the commentary in this type of Bible have too much of a "reformed" flavor? (Not that I disagree with it, since I don't even know what it is; just wondered!)

I think this new Bible looks great! I have the ESV Reformation Study Bible and really like it, but I will probably get this new one too. (I have a really bad habit of collecting Bibles!) I really enjoy having all of the maps and pictures interspersed through the text, and I think the Reformation Study Bible is lacking a little bit in that area.

As far as the reformed bent, the ESV as a translation has a long list of endorsement, not all of whom are necessarily reformed. The commentary - I haven't seen it yet obviously, but I would venture to guess that it is not going to disagree with reformed theology. :)

Here is a link with endorsements for the ESV.

http://www.esv.org/about/endorsements

I asked my husband for a reply; he spends more time looking at the different translations and options so I knew he'd have something to say. Below is his response:

Do you know if the new ESV Study Bible due out in Oct is in effect the "revamped" version of the Reformation Study Bible? I see that many of the contributors are the same (J.I. Packer, Wayne Grudem).

I wouldn't think so... though the ESV was the first translation used by the Reformation Study Bible, the notes will most certainly be different. The Reformation Study Bible pulls in a lot of history and theological references, i.e. when certain scriptures talk about election, God's sovereignty, predestination, and such, the notes may point them out and overall show God's plan for His people and how it influenced the fathers of the Reformation.

I am considering switching to ESV and this new one looks great!

The ESV in and of itself is an excellent translation. It attempts to stay faithful word-for-word while keeping the language modern, accurate, and relevant.

Another question: it looks like ESV is maybe preferred by believers of the Reformed persuasion?

I would only say yes, mainly as it's a good and faithful word-for-word translation. So, I would also say yes to the New King James and NASB, though there is an elegance lacking in the other two. The NASB is my next favorite and sometimes I skirt between the two. The NIV, while popular, is a thought-for-thought translation, and as someone of a reformed persuasion myself, I want to get the richness embedded in the words, and not an overview of "This is what the writer of this book meant to say.

Would the commentary in this type of Bible have too much of a "reformed" flavor?

I wouldn't think so... As a Study Bible, I would think the notes will be geared to inform the reader of the context, history, and relevance of the events the reader is studying so they can understand the overall meaning and context of the passage better, as opposed to pointing to how certain passages influenced the fathers of the Reformation.

I myself have gone through about 2/3 of the Reformation Study Bible and am considering using this new edition when I am done.

Blessings!

-Anthony

Exactly what I needed to know! I've done a ton of research today about ESV since I wrote my original post-side-by-side comparisons, translation details, etc.-and I'm really pleased with ESV. I have been using NIV for the last couple years, but I no longer want a thought-by-thought translation; I'm ready to "move on" to word-by-word. I did check out the NKJV and NASB today as my 2nd and 3rd choices, but found the NASB flow to be slightly awkward, and the NKJV was fine but from what I understand it is not as "updated" with more recent manuscripts, etc.

I'm pleased to know the information about the Ref. Study Bible. I do think from your commentary that the upcoming study Bible will be the best choice for me. Thank you for your time in responding so thoroughly! God bless!