Menu

Who wants to live vicariously? Help me plan a a southwestern road trip?

Halftime Hope

Imagine you are taking several young adults for a 7 - 10 day long road trip, starting and ending in NorthTexas. You want to "see America" or at least the southwestern states, LOL, including the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, and the typical western things. Las Vegas, California, and the Northwest have been judged too far.

1) What would you want to see? Keeping in mind this is an older bunch, they can pitch in a lot to help with the work and with driving.

2) We have at our disposal an SUV with plenty of room available, but assume we need to keep housing costs down without doing tent camping. Suggestions are mighty welcome.

Thanks!

Several years back DH and I did a whirlwind tour of Arizona, and we're both interested in astronomy, so that played a large part in our plan. I'm not sure if it fits into "see America" as much as the Grand Canyon etc., but Kitt Peak is part of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, so...

Check out Kitt Peak's (Arizona) visitor center programs -- you can have all-night use of a large (for amateurs) telescope, complete with operator, for visual observing or digital imaging, PLUS you get to sleep in the dorms & eat in the cafeteria with the "real" scientists (when we were there, the astronomers considered us the curiosity... paying money to be there :) ), and basically roam around and peek at things during the day (within limits)! There are daytime and evening tours as well, but the all-night experience was something truly unforgettable. We actually spent 2 nights, one visual and one imaging. Well worth the trip, and the money. More info here: http://www.noao.edu/outreach/kpoutreach.html (Advanced Observing Program is what we did).

Also in AZ is Lowell Observatory, a fine piece of history and may still be available for private observing -- not very high tech, but quite an experience from a historical perspective.

Meteor Crater is worth a visit if you're in the area, but I don't know that I'd go more than a few hours out of the way for it unless you have some very interested individuals.

We also spent a couple of nights in a hotel at the edge of the Grand Canyon (El Tovar, I'm not sure if the others in the park are right on the edge or not... not sure I'd spend the $$ again to be right there as there's not much to see at night anyway, y'know?) and in Sedona (we chose to rent a Jeep to tour the red rocks country ourselves, there are also tours with professional drivers that looked a bit more extreme than we dared drive ourselves, bike/hike tours, etc.).

I live in N AZ and would add don't miss Wapatki a nd Jerome if you can swing it. Also depending on when you are in Flagstaff there are some wonderful spring and summer festivals as well as plenty of cheap motels.

Yes! Absolutely don't miss Wapatki and Wukoki. I also like Walnut Canyon, not too far from Sedona if you do that.

If you were tent campers, I'd say don't miss Chaco Canyon. :001_wub: That is a jewel that is well off the beaten path and amazing... Gorgeous and worth every moment getting there.

I posted a really long list of all the cool things to see and do in case you're coming through Colorado (along with helpful links and everything). And then my computer froze up and I lost the whole post. :glare:

So, anyway - come to Colorado. We have lots to see and do here. :D Here's a sample itinerary for a Colorado road trip that includes most of the attractions I suggested in my post (obviously you wouldn't hit all of these given the time you have, but this summarizes the top CO sights very well): http://www.colorado.com/articles/7-day-colorado-family-road-trip

Have fun planning!

We have done a couple SW road trips. Besides Grand Canyon and Carlsbad (both are great and very worthwhile), we enjoyed ...

Hoover Dam

Saguaro National Park, Tucson AZ area

Southern Utah (lots here - Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon)

Petrified Forest in NE AZ

Sedona is great too as someone else mentioned

A city we REALLY enjoyed (so historic and quaint) was Santa Fe, NM

Guadalupe National Park was nice if you happen to be driving that way from Carlbad towards AZ and was a nice 1/2 day outing

I can't help you on lodging - we do tenting or hotel hopping for all our trips.

ETA if you happen to be going through CO there is tons to do there too, agreed!