Menu

Is Harry Potter "twaddle"?

The Harry Potter books are definitely not twaddle! They're certainly better written than Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew, and the plot is much, much better than any Nancy Drew plot. I've read all seven, as have at least two of my siblings and my dad. Many of my other siblings have either read or listened to several of the books. None of us have shown any interest in practicing witchcraft, though the books have probably encouraged some of us to read more fantasy.

LotR is definitely better quality than Harry Potter - but, then again, LotR is waaaay up there on the quality scale. I actually like the Harry Potter books a bit better than the Narnia books, story-wise - up to the last Narnia book, that is. The Last Battle beats any Harry Potter books any day!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what about Narnia or Lord of the Rings? Would you/do you steer away from those for the same reason? Do you see a difference between those and Potter? My kids all love Narnia and LOTR and it has not sparked any such interest.

With so much literature to choose from, as parents, we can pick and choose based on our beliefs and convictions. We have a DS 9 and we discuss some of our choices in why we allow and avoid certain books and movies. Homeschooling is not just about academics as I am sure y'all can agree.

I'm not in the "Anything that gets the kids to read" camp! Sure, I want to help them find things that get them excited about reading! But NOT when it goes against our beliefs or practices!

I was at Barnes & Noble with my kids one day when a lady came into the area where we were. She was looking expressly for some morphing type books--they were scary books, and had vampires stuff in them, and other stuff (which some people don't mind. I'm just saying what was in the books). She said, "I hate these books! I don't like that my child wants to read scary, evil, morphing books. In fact, it's something I want them to stay away from! BUT, my child won't read anything good, so I'm getting these for him, because he's interested in them and will read them. So I figure, hey, ANYTHING TO GET THE CHILD TO READ!" She grabbed a couple of books and left.

I had problems with that, because she, herself, stated she wants her children staying away from those types of themes/stories. But she was willing to negate and go against her value system to get something that they would read! If these child KNOWS she will buy what they want, then they can hold out! I'd try finding something historical or sports in nature and see what would catch their attention, rather than going with whatever thing caught their fancy, even though I was totally against it!

:rant: Okay, I'm done with my rant! :tongue_smilie:

The thing I see different on this thread is that people said they see nothing wrong with it. In that case, it makes sense that you'd get Harry Potter or some other book you have no problems with! My above point was not meant for you. It's those that allow their children to read trashy things the parent doesn't want them to, just so they'll read......

Brindee,

I do get what you're saying. I've had my child stay away from some books, not many though because I don't believe in censuring to start with. I do believe some books should be read at a later age though, and that's how I deal with my son. I give himi a target age, at which I think he will be ready.

However, I did let my son read "Animorphs'. Awful series, I totally agree. But he enjoyed them. And he read them in his SECOND language. The library didn't keep them in French, so he *had* to read in English. Now that he's gotten over this hurdle, and acquired a lot of vocabulary, I can have him in Sonlight this year! 'Animorphs', as awful a series as it is, did make my son bilingual.

Each family has its own hurdles to overcome, and each child reacts differently when told what to read.

Brindee,

I do get what you're saying. I've had my child stay away from some books, not many though because I don't believe in censuring to start with. I do believe some books should be read at a later age though, and that's how I deal with my son. I give himi a target age, at which I think he will be ready.

However, I did let my son read "Animorphs'. Awful series, I totally agree. But he enjoyed them. And he read them in his SECOND language. The library didn't keep them in French, so he *had* to read in English. Now that he's gotten over this hurdle, and acquired a lot of vocabulary, I can have him in Sonlight this year! 'Animorphs', as awful a series as it is, did make my son bilingual.

Each family has its own hurdles to overcome, and each child reacts differently when told what to read.

Yep, see, that's why it's good to discuss these things on here. We get to see all sorts of sides and things we'd never think of otherwise, I think! Thanks Cleo! :001_smile:

Your post got me to thinking....I want to find something interesting, yet simple enough, for my ds17 to read in German or Spanish. Thanks for the idea!

I'm not in the "Anything that gets the kids to read" camp! Sure, I want to help them find things that get them excited about reading! But NOT when it goes against our beliefs or practices!....

i agree. There are plenty of books i either don't encourage my dc to read or would say nope to.

HP / Narnia/ LOTR just hasn't made that cut for us.