Menu

Tell me more about IEW, where do we start grade 3?

I'm looking into IEW for my oldest 2 daughters for next school year. I've tried looking at their website, but I'm still lost. There are 4 package options for this age group?

Where do you start a 3rd grader? Both my older 2 will be functioning on a grade 3-4 next year, so I really want a good writing program. They both read well now & are finished with phonics. I have heard IEW is excellent. Tell me how you use this program in your homeschool & when you started. Thanks so much.

I started my 3rd grader with SWI-A, and I got TWSS for myself (I'm glad I did). We're spreading it over 2 years, so 3rd and 4th grade. We had done most of WWE2 and needed something "different" for a bit to transition from copying/dictating to writing original sentences, and it was definitely good for that - key word outlines are awesome. At one point, I decided to go back to WWE2 and finish that up, do some other writing stuff, and then we'll pick up one more unit of SWI-A before the end of the school year. Next year, I'm planning to continue mixing IEW and WWE3.

Thanks to IEW, DS can now write a paragraph without freaking out. Yay! But at the same time, he isn't ready to move much beyond that yet. He needs more time where he is, hence why I spread it out over 2 years and mix in other things. I probably could have safely waited until 4th grade to use it, though the specific needs he had were good to go ahead and meet at this age. IEW got him over a hump, but to get the most out of the rest of the program, I think he'll need to be a bit older, despite being advanced in most areas (the physical act of writing and spelling are where he isn't advanced, but is about average at this point). What would really help him would be learning to type. He just isn't there yet. We've tried, and he needs a lot more time before he can type a paragraph. Not typing has hampered our progress through IEW, as rewriting the paragraph(s) by hand is a bit much for him, especially when you get to the 3-paragraph stories of unit 3.

I would just say SWI-A if you want the videos. If not then you can do the themed units. Both could easily be spread out. I am running through SWI-B with my now 4th and 5th graders who are advanced readers. I have noticed it would be easy to do the lessons and then if we need more practice on a concept it is easy to draw from their other subjects. For example instead of narration I asked them to do a key word outline on one paragraph of their choice from history or science and use the checklist to rewrite. They are slightly resistant though not totally. They are definitely liking it less the longer the checklist is getting but it is developing their writing and I am hoping to get something good from it. They have improved their writing and I wish we would have done this last year.

Christina

I started with the themed book, All Things Fun and Fascinating, for my 2nd and 3rd grader. It is a nice, gentle approach to starting IEW. It is helpful to watch the TWSS videos along with it, but not necessary. The instruction is built in, and you can download a free teacher's manual to go with the book. My kids have loved it and I'm amazed at their writing ability.

I borrowed TWSS from a friend and bought my own notebook. After going through the entire thing, I started All Things Fun and Fascinating at home. Some friends wanted to do SWI-A together and one found it used, so we all bought that book and have been doing it in a co-op class that I lead. I am going to teach a theme book next year to this group rather than do more video courses. The videos are often watching the kids in his class do things that I end up pausing or skipping so that my class can do instead.

TWSS helped me quite a bit. It really teaches you the whole program and gives you ideas on how to teach it. If you can't afford TWSS, definitely get SWI-A. If you can afford both, it's quite helpful for the kids to get to see him explain the units. Don't try to show your kids the TWSS, though. He goes through a lot in a short time, which could never work with young kids. I'm actually going through it with my dd, but she's 10th grade.

I never thought I would be able to teach a writing class, but this made me feel that I could. Now, teaching the writing class is one of my favorites things I've ever done. I highly recommend the program they sell, Teaching the Classics, as well. I went through it before leading a book club with 2 friends. This year I'm leading a book club with 15 kids attending. It's been so much fun!