Menu

Educational Sloyd

So, in searching the internet for resources to help create my own DIY Oak Meadow experience (esp. grade 3 stuff, which includes carpentry), I can across this interesting article. I have never, ever heard of "Educational Sloyd" before but on first glance there is a certain intuitive genius about it. Anyway, here's a link to the article and an excerpt. I'd love to hear what you think.

Woodworking for Kids

A seasoned woodworker and teacher explains the importance of setting up woodworking programs in schools

Five Rules for Setting Up a School Woodshop Program

These rules from the theory of Educational Sloyd can help any adult in guiding the development of young hands and minds in the wood shop.

1. Move gradually from the known to the unknown, from the easy to the more difficult, from the concrete to the abstract.

2. Create lessons to involve the senses, particularly touch, sight, and smell.

3. Design activities to reinforce the connections between the child, the family, the school and the community.

4. Plan your projects so that tools can be introduced one or two at a time. It is important that kids aren't overloaded with information all at once and that they can spend enough time with each tool to develop an understanding of its uses and limitations. Plan simple projects at first. Complications can come later. You may be surprised that children have very little understanding of or experience with handwork. Even folding paper and cutting with scissors are largely forgotten in our computer age.

5. Have fun. You will be providing memories for a lifetime that may have impact for generations.