Menu

UPDATED - How to do "Oak Meadow" without a curriculum

SEE UPDATE in POST #30

All of our extra money - every single red cent - has gone away for reasons both infuriating and too personal for this public forum. Suffice it to say that we cannot buy Oak Meadow 3 like I had hoped and planned just a few days ago. :crying: :cursing: <---- I can't decide which fits better... kind of feel like both at the moment.

Anyway, now that all the money I had planned for any curriculum (incl. my beloved OM) is gone I need to regroup and come up with an alternative plan, and I'm stuck.

I truly feel that OM would engage my kids - especially my older DD - in a way that traditional curriculum wouldn't. She is hands on, active, social, extremely artistic, loves design, loves nature, and is a natural "out of the box" thinker. Almost every academic thing we've tried has fallen flat.

Oak Meadow style of curriculum is spot on perfect for her. But, no money means no ordering. :crying: :cursing: So, the only thing I can think to do is come up with my own homemade version of OM (esp the 2-3 grade stuff).

I can afford to buy a few small things (e.g. sketch books for the main lesson book, beeswax crayons), but large purchases are completely out of the question. I can get many books through the library ILL, so that's definitely a positive thing. I also have a kindle to download free e-books.

I am most overwhelmed at planning the science and language arts portions. Formal science almost never gets done here, and I feel disappointed about that. As for LA, older DD hates to write on command, but I'd really like her to work on that. We already have Sentence Family (grammar) and will continue that. It has the same feel to me as OM/Waldorf (the stories paired with drawing). But what about teaching writing and spelling?

I'm fighting the feelings of helplessness and fear. THOUSANDS of dollars.... poof. ALL my plans for my kids homeschool.... poof. However, I am NOT a quitter. I know there's a way to make this work. I just haven't figured it all out yet.

I am completely open to your suggestions. Thanks.

Nature study can be used as science. Go out with your daughter on nature walks and have her sketch interesting plants and rocks, and eventually animals, maybe pick a sample of the plant she has sketched and research it either online or with something like the Handbook of Nature Study. Get jeweler's loupes and look at things in nature up close. Ask "what does this remind you of?" Look for details you would otherwise gloss over. If your library has them or you can slowly collect them, the One Small Square books are excellent for learning about nature. You can start with Backyard and Pond and move on to things like the African Savannah and Coral Reef. I bought almost all of mine used because of a limited budget. She might also like reading books like Sassafras Science Adventures, or The Story Book of Science. DD really enjoyed the Among the ____ People series. (Among the Meadow People, etc) GEMS units are good, and I can usually find one or two at my local used book store, but you do have to buy supplies. Watch lots of science documentaries.

As for writing, I think you can have her write a few sentences about the story she was listening to or reading and illustrate it in her lesson book. That's pretty much all OM2 was, anyway. I'm not entirely sure how they handle 3rd grade. I bought WWE and used it in addition to the OM LA because I wanted a little more structure. Probably the least expensive spelling would be something like WRTR (they have a writing portion, too) or R&S, which isn't Waldorf, but it works. You can have her shape her words out of playdoh or write in different colors in her lesson book.

You may also use Ambleside either in whole or pieces. It isn't OM or Waldorf but it may help. There's also a book you can find ILL maybe called Homeschool Your Child For Free. It would have lots of ideas how to track down free resources online in each area. I understand about money being extremely limited. Ambleside saved our 1st grade year. There are also free samples on the OM website. That could give you ideas how to continue. Also if you are on Pinterest you can look up "Queen's lace" and there are a lot of pins Waldorf related.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to spend some quality time researching them today.

Spelling is the area that's really worrying me this morning. DD's spelling isn't great, but she makes reasonable phonetic choices. For example, she spells beginning "bigining". The problem with spelling programs is that most are either too random or too rules-oriented. I tried to love WRTR (read it) and LOE (spin-off) but it drove us both nuts and we've dropped it (LOE) after only a few weeks. I'm thinking of using a word family approach, despite that getting a bad rap. Ooooh, look at me! I'm such a rebel! :biggrinjester:

Anyway, please keep the suggestions coming. Where there's a will there's a way, right?

The years I had no money were always our most productive ones. It's going to be okay. I promise! :grouphug: Years from now you might look back and realize that this adventure was absolutely critical in the life of one or more of your children. When I was fighting to move in the wrong direction with one of my boys, was when the craziest things happened to knock me onto the path I should be on with them.

Do you remember these free African Waldorf pdfs?

I'm going out this afternoon :gnorsi: and have a couple other e-mails/PMs to respond to, but if this thread keeps popping up, I'm sure to find time to respond more.

None of us like to transition quickly against our will. I promise you though, happy and productive days are ahead, that you might like BETTER than OM. Your friends here will find you all sorts of things you will :001_tt1: that are in the Waldorf/OM spirit .

First, :grouphug: I know what it is like for everything to go POOF. Just had another poof moment yesterday....

In the last couple of weeks there were some links to a free spelling PDF (school text book).

Now, what do you have you can SELL???? I know, I know.... sell it??? But... but.... :D

There are a variety of things you can find that are inexpensive/free - and will work well if you have a good library system.

Maybe you should list out the ages/grades and what you were going to use, and what you have on hand. I have been surfing for cheaper/free stuff to use and found more than I can probably use... but I can't be here typing. I have a stupid research paper to write. HMPH.

More :grouphug: Let your emotions all play out, be selfish and look for stuff online this weekend - it will totally help you get thru it. Oh and check out the thread on homeschooling K-8 out of two boxes, there were some awesome inexpensive ideas in there!!

There is a Yahoo group for Waldorf homeschoolers, led by Marcia someone, possibly Johnson, called the Waldorf homeschooling list. You can learn to do it all yourself through that group. She is very much against "canned" Waldorf and thinks it is best if you do it the way circumstances are now forcing you to do, even if you could have afforded the packaged version (discussing packaged curriculum was not allowed on the forum when I was active there). I cannot recall the exact group name as listed in Yahoo, but search Yahoo groups for Waldorf Homeschooling List and I am pretty sure it will come up. If several seem possible, if you post names, I'll probably recognize the right one. I have her email address, but don't know if it is okay to post that. If you cannot otherwise find the group and want the email, let me know and I'll PM you.

We are part of a Waldorf-inspired homeschool cooperative and we just had our information meeting for prospective families during which the teachers talked about what they cover in their grades. In third grade, the Waldorf curriculum focuses on "practical arts", so there is always a study of shelters and houses usually involving the children in building shelters and buildings of different types; the children cook/bake, work with fibers, garden. The stories in third grade focus on those from the Old Testament, but also Native American stories. Math is practical -- measuring, telling time, using money. I, like a pp, suggest that you become a member of Marcia Johnson's Yahoo! group -- waldorfhomeeducators.

These links may help as well:

http://theparentingpassageway.com/2010/10/30/waldorf-homeschooling-third-grade-first-old-testament-block/

http://www.waldorfcurriculum.com/Curric/class3.html

http://millennialchild.wordpress.com/article/the-waldorf-curriculum-grade-three-110mw7eus832b-19/

http://www.mainlesson.com/main/displayarticle.php?article=g3_books

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to spend some quality time researching them today.

Spelling is the area that's really worrying me this morning. DD's spelling isn't great, but she makes reasonable phonetic choices...

For spelling specifically, we have had great success with Kate Van Wagenen's Modern Speller -- that links to the free book, which is public domain. I either wrote or printed out each day's lesson for Button as copywork in the AM, then in the PM had him do it from dictation. If you use this, and also keep a running list of misspelled words from her other work to review, your child should make regular progress.

If Modern Speller is too simple for her the next step is the excellent Wheeler's Elementary Speller. This is rather more writing -- some lessons you may wish to spread out over a few days -- but also has more direct phonics instruction.

This vintage books thread has some excellent science resources, see post #20 and esp. #38.

and :grouphug: .

Funny, in my searching today I keep coming across Waldorf. Is Oak Meadow Waldorf? Very interesting - I am definitely going to have to research this.

It's Waldorf inspired and draws different aspects from Waldorf, but they do align their curriculum to state standards. It's not straight up Waldorf, kind of how there are other box curriculum that are classical or Charlotte Mason inspired.

I have nothing to add except encouragement. I spent $400 on curriculum three months ago and within 6 weeks I had ditched the lot of it and am using free stuff online by choice because it works better for our family. Just because it is free does not mean it is second rate.

Shinyhappypeople, what type of resources do you have right now? A good library? A good printer? curricula?

How is your handwriting and drawing? Are you comfortable creating your own copywork? One of the methods commonly used in Waldorf is for the teacher to create a notebook page that the student will copy exactly. My first recommendation is for a teacher to remediate her own handwriting. Next to find some drawing instruction resources at her level. My drawing level is pretty basic; I use Draw Write Now and other grammar stage curricula to use as models to draw notebook samples for students to copy.

Another common Waldorf teaching method is for the teacher to retell texts too difficult for students to understand. Studying a bit about story telling is helpful.

Grammar is sometimes taught by color coding and talking about the copywork.

For spelling, I like having students copy the charts and sentences in Alpha-Phonics or How to Tutor.

Waldorf traditionally uses beeswax crayons, but I use Prang 64. I find the beeswax crayons to be too messy. Yes, softer crayons blend better, but they also smudge and get on hands and clothes. I also see NOTHING wrong with outlining; NOTHING! We don't get around to any of the painting. The knitting hasn't been done consistently. Many of my students are left-handed. It's on my list to learn to knit left-handed, but life hasn't allowed it yet.

We don't do traditional form drawing, but we do all sorts of border drawing. Often the borders are based on cursive letters. Sometimes on something we are working on in art. Sometimes something we are working on in math, like patterns.

The content scope and sequence that is becoming the default for Waldorf is a good one. Or you can apply Waldorf methods to another content scope and sequence like TWTM or NtK. I draw from all sort of methods but keep to the NtK scope and sequence so students can stay steady, while I continue my teacher self-education and relieve my boredom.

Studying Phenology can help with nature tables.

For holidays, there are tons of pagan books on seasonal celebrations. If you are a Christian, you can look for Jewish and Catholic and Universalist resources that also celebrate these same times of year, but with a monotheistic theme.

I love the links that have been posted. At first I was having a ball reading, and then I got SO tired. For me Waldorf is lots of copywork that often includes pictures, borders and light crayon washes on most notebook pages, lots of reading aloud and retelling of quality texts, knitting, and phenology and seasonal celebrations.

Wow, thanks SO much for all your ideas and encouragements. In my reading and researching I've figured out that what appeals to me about OM isn't the Waldorf influences, as much as the gentle, hands-on, artistic approach. I also discovered Doug Stowe's blog Wisdom of the Hands, and the educational philosophy "Sloyd." In this thread there's a link to a book about paper crafting that I want to use. I like the idea of building and making being central to our intentional learning activities.

Traditional academic methods do NOT engage older DD at all. She is an artist, builder and designer. She reminds me of Edison with her fearless curiosity and creative solutions. When she's inventing, she's not afraid to fail. But if you evaluate her with standardized tests or compare her learning to state standards, forget it. She doesn't fit, because she's cast from a different mold.

If it makes you feel better I school 4 for pretty close to free (we have no budget for schooling right now) For spelling we use the Zaner Blosser free lists (you get the list plus one worksheet for free) and we use spelling city for practice and testing. It's worked pretty well for us so far. I don't know anything about the OM curriculum but thought I could toss that spelling info your way atleast. :grouphug:

I like to poke around Serendipity. Nothing is complete, but I think the site gives a nice show and tell for how to do hands on, artsy lessons using books and discussions. It's Waldorf inspired at any rate. There's a lot of ideas and the beginnings of plans that might help you formulate something using a main lesson book and the library...

http://www.elizabethfoss.com/serendipity/

https://www.zaner-bloser.com/media/zb/zaner-bloser/spellingconnections/practice-pages.html

Here is a standard spelling program, free. The lists are based on by phonetics, meanings, or spelling rules (short a words, words ending in -ing, homonyms, for example). The rule is not explicit, but so far I've been able to teach the rule without any problems. There are also practice activities and a Spanish version available.

After using a Waldorf curriculum for years, we are now using this free Charlotte Mason program (similar to Waldorf in that it is literature-based, and narration techniques are very similar to the recall/artistic/academic output used in Waldorf curricula):

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/?m=1

I've been able to find most all books either free online or available through my local library. I have decided to purchase many of them for convenience, but obviously you certainly don't have to.

We still incorporate watercoloring, beeswax modeling, movement (circle) with beanbags for math facts practice and poetry recitation and seasonal songs. If you know how to do these things, you really don't need a Waldorf curriculum. There are plenty of blogs that can give you great ideas (try Homespun Waldorf, great forum loaded with free info on how to do these things).

You can definitely do this! And, in some ways it might be even better. You can select books from the CM Help program that will likely meet your dc needs better. You can have the freedom and flexibility to use what you want and discard/substitute without feeling like you are wasting $$.

Wow, thanks SO much for all your ideas and encouragements. In my reading and researching I've figured out that what appeals to me about OM isn't the Waldorf influences, as much as the gentle, hands-on, artistic approach. I also discovered Doug Stowe's blog Wisdom of the Hands, and the educational philosophy "Sloyd." In this thread there's a link to a book about paper crafting that I want to use. I like the idea of building and making being central to our intentional learning activities.

Traditional academic methods do NOT engage older DD at all. She is an artist, builder and designer. She reminds me of Edison with her fearless curiosity and creative solutions. When she's inventing, she's not afraid to fail. But if you evaluate her with standardized tests or compare her learning to state standards, forget it. She doesn't fit, because she's cast from a different mold.

Just wanted to add that I think your dd is lucky you are observing her and taking into account what is best for her!

Hmm...free is kind of my thing...

Language Arts Choices:

-National Treasures Workbooks http://www.mhschool.com/reading/treasure_workbooks/national.html These have grammar and spelling for grades K to 6

-Primary Language Lessons (free on google play)

-Intermediate Language Lessons (free on google play)

-Scott Foresman grammar and composition for grades 1-6 http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

-Kiss Grammar http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/KISS.htm

-Progressive Composition Lessons by Ida Brautigam (for grade 3 to 8, make sure you get the right one) (free on google play)

-MEP Math, http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Khan Academy

CK12 Braingenie http://braingenie.ck12.org/

Learning to Read: Suggestions to the teachers of young children by Sarah Louise Arnold (Google Play)

Reading, How to teach it by Sarah Louise Arnold (Google Play)

Everyday Classics by Fannie Wyche Dunne, Franklin Thomas Baker (google play) (first grade to sixth grade)

The Teaching of Reading: A Manual to accompany Everyday Classics (Google Play)

The Easy Way to Reading Primer by Carrie Josephine Smith (Google Play)

Dolch Sight Words http://dolchsightwords.org/

On Track Reading http://www.ontrackreading.com/homeschooling

Phonics http://www.strivney-english.com/home-school-reading.asp

Starfall

Grammarland by M.L. Nesbit

The Mother Tongue book one: Lessons in Speaking, Reading, and Writing English by Sarah Louise Arnold (Google Play)

The Mastery of Words: A course in Spelling book one by Sarah Louise Arnold (Google Play). Grades one through five.

With Pencil and Pen: Language Lessons for Primary Schools by Sarah Louise Arnold

Fifty Famous People by James Baldwin (the Baldwin Children’s Literature Project)

Fifty Famous Tales Retold by James Baldwin (the Baldwin Children’s Literature Project)

Thirty More Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin (the Baldwin Children’s Literature Project)

A First Book in American History by Edward Eggleston

This Country of Ours by H.E. Marshall (Google Play)

The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon (Google Play)

Tales of the Greeks: The Children’s Plutarch by F.J. Gould

Tales of the Romans: The Children’s Plutarch by F. J. Gould

Famous Men of Greece

Famous Men of Rome

The Story of Greece by Mary McGregor

The Story of Rome by Mary McGregor

Where We Live by Emilie Van Beil Jacobs

A History of Art for Beginners and Students by Clara Erskine Clement Waters

Classics For Kids

Mrs.Brown’s Art www.mrsbrownart.com

Dick Blick Lesson Plans http://www.dickblick.com/lesson-plans/

http://thevirtualinstructor.com/

http://www.free-online-art-classes.com/

The Burgess Animal Book for children by Thornton Burgess

The Burgess Bird Book for Children by Thornton Burgess

Wild Animal Ways by Ernest Thomspon Seton (Baldwin Children’s Literature Project)

Stories of the Great Scientists by Charles R. Gibson

The Story of the World series by M. B. Synge

Stories of the Vikings by Mary MacGregor

Viking Tales by Jennie Hall

Great Inventors and Their Inventions by Frank P. Bachman

The Story Book of Science by Jean Henri Fabre

Fourth Grade General Science http://www.kusasa.org/k01/k01.html

This a nice thread! I am sorry, OP, about your situation.

I have found a couple Google books on Nature Study. I have trouble searching on the ñew forum, but here they are!

From this thread

http://forums.welltr...dy-curriculums/ and

...Others like the One Small Square books.

I found a book called Science in Your Own Backyard by Elizabeth Cooper that is kind of neat.

Nature Study by Grades by Horace Hall Cummings, which, while it does include snow, might be a bit more flexible for different climates than the Detroit schools one:

Vol 1

And

vol 2

http://forums.welltr...tudywhat-is-it/

Also the aforementioned post 38 in another thread had some nice vintage ones found by Kalmia

http://forums.welltr...d/#entry4685188

Thank you for all the feedback and ideas. I thought I'd go ahead and update :) I have a sketched out a plan using resources we already own (mostly). This weekend DH and I will be turning the plan into a usable schedule for me, because I need a schedule.

Anyway, here we go:

Use a main lesson book

Seasonal nature table

finish up Sentence Family

Instant Poetry Frames: All About Me and Poetry Writing

Kid's Nature Book (daily nature activities, very simple and "do the next thing" set up)

Geography Through Art

Read aloud folk tales aligned with region we're studying in Geography (narration practice)

Home Art Studio 3-4 days a week (we own them all)

Paper crafts using the Sloyd book

Crafts (carpentry, form drawing, sculpting with beeswax)

Miquon math for older DD and Dreambox for younger DD.

I'm very, very happy with this collection of resources. Except for a few craft supplies (e.g. beeswax) I have everything on hand. I think it will appeal to my artsy, non-traditional kids, especially older DD.

Here's a few spelling resources

http://www.aaaspell.com/

http://harcourtschool.com/menus/harcourt_brace_spelling.html

Online games

http://eduplace.com/rdg/hmsv/

http://www.spellingcity.com/

Also you could just pick a passage from a read aloud and do copywork/narration/dictation with it and work on spelling and grammar that way.

The cheapest indications for a year's worth of Waldorf schoolwork, aside from the fabulous Marsha Johnson and her yahoo group, come from A Little Garden Flower. For around $20 you can buy each grade's book. I think there are ebooks, too. Given that you don't want pure Waldorf, this gentle, hands-on and highly adaptable curriculum might be just what you need as a fall-back. Have a look at the Waldorf Curriculum Supplies yahoo group, too. Lots of resources come up cheaply.

D

• 2 weeks later...

The cheapest indications for a year's worth of Waldorf schoolwork, aside from the fabulous Marsha Johnson and her yahoo group, come from A Little Garden Flower. For around $20 you can buy each grade's book. I think there are ebooks, too. Given that you don't want pure Waldorf, this gentle, hands-on and highly adaptable curriculum might be just what you need as a fall-back. Have a look at the Waldorf Curriculum Supplies yahoo group, too. Lots of resources come up cheaply.

D

Yes! I have a few of Melissa's ebooks and love them. She puts a lot in there... and I'll say, a lot more practical advice (IMHO) than was in the OM stuff I've purchased (OMK, OM3rd grade, and the two teaching books). It's now called Waldorf Essentials...but same thing. :) http://waldorfessentials.com/store/

You can also search Youtube for her ALittleGardenFlower videos. :) http://www.youtube.com/user/alittlegardenflower