Menu

Finished Phonics Pathways and still can't read??

LAmom

What next? My 7yo (almost 7) is at the end of PP. We are still reviewing. He can read Frog and Toad, Little Bear, etc., slowly but struggles in general with most reading. Every morning he reads from the Bible and does not do well. Guesses a lot, etc. So what now? Go back through the book until he gets it?

There is a GIANT gulf between frog and toad and the bible. Try going to some of the websites that will help you find your childs reading level and find books that he might be interested in. I know that we want our kids to be spiritually fed, and it will happen, but expecting a kid who just learned to read to be reading the bible well is like teaching a kid to add and expecting him to go build a bridge. I promise he will get there! patience!

I understand totally as my DD is the same age nd at the same point. Can you go to the library ad find books of interest that will be motivating? In our case, it is Princesses. Sometimes it takes a little longer to click but when it does, they will fly! Hang in there! Hugs!

I get where you are. My 7.5 year old is just now becoming fluent. It's really be a struggle. Just a couple months ago, he could barely read even though he'd had plenty of phonics instruction. I would say he *can* read, when he wants to or is forced, but he is VERY, painfully slow and needed a lot of reminders of what different blends say. Here are the things I suggest...

First, I'd stop having him read the Bible or find a Bible reader on his level. Don't cut it out, just read it to him instead. IMO, having them read things they really struggle through just leads to stress, both his and yours, and that slows the process down by making them not want to read at all. At least, I know that is what happened for mine. (Mine reads a Bible reader that is included with the MFW program. It gets progressively harder as the stories/program goes on.) When I relaxed and stopped pushing, it helped a lot.

Next, I would get some easy read type either from the library or from Amazon that REALLY appeal to him, things he would be VERY interested in. Entice him! This is what finally got mine actually wanting to read rather than me forcing him to "for school" each day. I got mine some from Amazon for Christmas, on animals and such. I didn't say much about them. He put them in his room and let them sit. Around the end of Jan, he brought one to me and asked me if he could read to me. He was reading very slowly and only 1 or 2 pages at a time, but he was doing it and HE was the one asking to do it. Woo Hoo!!! Since then, he hasn't stopped following me around with his books. He is still on the slow side, but he is SO much better and SO, SO much faster. It is truly wonderful!

Also, build confidence by having him read things below his level some if possible. Mine didn't really realize he could actually read. He confidence was very low. Things started to change as I realized I needed to empower him and show him he could do it.

If I were in your position, I'd just practice and practice and practice and let it sink in. Although, I would practice without pushing. If he he is fighting you, I'd keep it to a minium so he doesn't get discouraged.

Hang in there. It will click.

Let him read lots of easy books. For months, my older son was taking board books with him to reading time. Reading simple things over and over and over builds fluency. Don't try to up the challenge. Reading the Bible with help with decoding, reading the simplest things he feels comfortable with with lead to fluency and speed.

Emily

Ditto what the previous posters said. (I'd have to quote them all. Great advice!) I'll add another "my kid, too!" story. My dd#2 was slow to build fluency. It was so painful listening to her read. For official "reading" time last year, I had dd#2 read aloud to me from McGuffey's 2nd grade book. (Keep in mind that she was in 3rd grade at the time & over a full year older than your DS, so some of us have kids who take *awhile* to gain fluency.) She had other (easy) books she was supposed to read for history, but most things I wanted her to read, I'd either read aloud or I'd get her on audiobook. (We use a Spalding spin-off for spelling, so she had to read during spelling class too. But those were mostly just individual words.)

Last summer, on her own, she started reading her younger siblings their favorite books. This means the same books over & over & over again. When I didn't pick up the Next (audio)Book in her favorite series fast enough, she grabbed it off the shelves of our public library. Her reading to herself & outloud was finally at the level necessary to tackle those harder (& longer) books. While it seemed a bit magical, it really was the result of all the other pieces that had been put in place up until then.

He probably just needs more practice with books at or below his reading level. The Bible may be a bit much for a beginner reader like that. ;) That's great that he's doing Frog & Toad and Little Bear! Get some easy readers from the library and read them over and over and over again. You just need to work on fluency. Your child *can* read. He's just not reading fluently yet. :)

Phonics programs give them the tools, but it takes practice, practice, practice to build fluency.

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and help. Yes, he can read at a certain level. I get frustrated that he seems to forget the rules and messes up words like what with that and reads "for" instead of from or of. He tries to rush so I think it is a lot if guesses. I'll keep patiently trying and reviewing!!