Menu

Hilton Head Island or Myrtle Beach?

LadyR

We're thinking of taking a late spring/early summer trip where we can enjoy warm weather and the beach. We've been to Hilton Head Island and stayed oceanfront and might do that again, but Myrtle Beach caught my eye. Which would you choose and why? :)

Hilton head is completely different. Quiet, nice beach. Commercial stuff is hidden behind trees lol. Stuff to do but not entertainment tourist things. Kayaking, historical tours, good dining.

Myrtle beach is commercialized like crazy but has tons to do.

We like both but Hilton head is our retreat and MB is our go, go, go do a lot place.

Hilton head is completely different. Quiet, nice beach. Commercial stuff is hidden behind trees lol. Stuff to do but not entertainment tourist things. Kayaking, historical tours, good dining.

Myrtle beach is commercialized like crazy but has tons to do.

We like both but Hilton head is our retreat and MB is our go, go, go do a lot place.

I despise Myrtle Beach and sort of like Hilton Head, but I have only been to Hilton Head in the spring - never in the summer when it is probably a mad house. I would never call the beaches at Hilton Head "quiet" but I guess compared to MB they probably are.

We camp at MB every few years. Way too commercial for my taste generally speaking, but my kids love all of the hubbub. We go in September, so it is usually very calm at the campground at that point, and the beach, shops, etc. aren't very crowded. That makes it more tolerable.

DH and I prefer calmer, but go figure, the kids love all of the stuff to do. It is nice to have things like the aquarium available for the occasional rainy day.

I despise Myrtle Beach and sort of like Hilton Head, but I have only been to Hilton Head in the spring - never in the summer when it is probably a mad house. I would never call the beaches at Hilton Head "quiet" but I guess compared to MB they probably are.

We go in may the week before Memorial Day every year. Usually have beach to ourselves. So it's quiet that week consistently lol

The public beach areas on HH are busier than the resort front beaches. We have gone every year at least 1 time since 2001. WE LOVE HH. Myrtle Beach is gross. Dirty beaches every day that have to be combed by the large machines. We own at the Marriot Surf Watch resort and there is also a Disney resort there too. Having been raised on Long Island I find it hard to find what I would call packed beaches lol. Stick with an ocean front resort that has it's own access and you will be fine.

Hilton Head Island, hands down. This year marks our 10th trip down. We usually stay a week right before schools in SC and Ohio get out. It's pretty quiet, but all of the summer activities are up and running but restaurants and the Piggly Wiggly aren't too crowded yet.

MB has a zillion specialty miniature golf places, all you can eat seafood places, t-shirt places, etc. So yeah kinda tacky, but also fun for kids of a certain age. We try to go to a park, nature boat ride and things like that.

HH is more upscale. I went there before kids, so I don't remember what types of family friendly things they had at HH.

We also went to Charleston SC once and found there was lots to do there (more historical).

I am not a fan of Myrtle Beach, it's too touristy. I love Hilton Head (extended family meets there every spring) but if you have already been once I would consider venturing a little further south to the Georgia coast. There is Tybee island, Jekyll island, St. Simons Island, and many more (these are the three we have visited). They are all great vacation spots for a family though my favorite is probably Jekyll Island.

I like both places. Hilton Head is more upscale and not quite so touristy. We either stay in North Myrtle Beach at a resort with its own beachfront, or we camp in the South Myrtle Beach area. Either way, we're away from the big crowds in the central area.

Our boys love Myrtle Beach. Or at least the North Myrtle Beach/Cherry Grove area. Yes, it's tacky. But with teenagers it can be a great vacation spot with SO many activities. We've never encountered anything remotely close to what I'd call a dirty beach in the NMB area. Given our (DH and my) choice, we'd opt for the Outer Banks or somewhere like Jekyll Island, Edisto or Isle of Palms. But those places can be awfully boring for teens.