Julie in CA

Colcannon--yuck, or yum?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Colcannon--yuck, or yum?

• Yuck.
    • Yum.
    • Never tried it.
    • It depends (other).

Judging by the recipe linked......I don't know it by that name (or any name really LOL) but I remember eating it at home when I was growing up.

It was very good and I may make it for my family sometime. :0) I have been wanting cabbage lately so maybe it will be sooner rather than later.

I voted "other" because I think St Patrick's Day sucks and all celebrations like this should be banned*. But on other days, go for it.

* Years of Irish Dance experience lead to this loathing. I still get twitchy this time of year, like a mild case of PTSD.

* Years of Irish Dance experience lead to this loathing. I still get twitchy this time of year, like a mild case of PTSD.

Whiskey can help with the twitching.

http://www.tasteofho...keycode=ZFB0313

This looks yummy. I've never tried Colcannon, but it sounds like something I'd like!

On another note, I made this today:

http://www.tasteofho...e-guinness-cake

It was really good. :drool5:

I use russets for colcannon, rather than reds. (They "mush" better.) Also, olive oil is our family's preference over butter. We are big-time cabbage fans.

But you should probably avoid Irish whiskey, just in case....

And Irish Mist. It would make for a boring Irish coffee though.

True story--my father-in-law came up for a visit and wanted to go to a bar for some live entertainment, so we took him to a local place. He plays in an Irish band, and spends lots of time in bars/pubs with that flavor, but we live in a small college town with a very different customer base, let's say. He ordered an Irish coffee, and the bartender looked at him for a minute, poured a cup of black coffee, added a shot of whiskey and passed it to him. Poor FIL was so flummoxed and mystified that he couldn't even tell the bartender how very wrong that was. LOL! "Irishing up your coffee" is a bit different than an Irish coffee...

Just changed my vote to YUM! We made it for dinner tonight along with sausages and broiled tomatoes. So delicious. And, as I said during dinner, about 4000 times more tasty than normal St. Patrick's Day fare in my family (corned beef and boiled cabbage, :thumbdown: ).

I fought the temptation to add bacon, by the way, and I'm glad I did.

Well, we were talking about an Irish dish. Why bring in a Scottish brew?

If we were talking about rumbledethumps, then scotch whiskey will be appropriate. ;)

I had to wait to respond until I was at my desktop so I could...

:lol: :hurray: