Menu

Biblioplan... If I use MoH, is the Companion & Cool History, etc. just overkill?

I don't want to buy something that's going to sit on the shelf unused. I guess what I'm asking is "what do I really NEED for Biblioplan?" BTW, we'll be doing Ancients next year, and I've never used either Biblioplan or MoH before. I've always used TRISMS with my own kids (and I LOVE it), but it's just not going to fit with my students (logic stage teen girls).

We are using Biblioplan for the first time and my dd LOVES it. She looks forward to it, and this is a STEM kid who usually thinks history is "boring".

We use Cool History for advanced, the Hands On Maps, the Family Guide (lesson plans), the Companion and MOH. I have dd do the worksheets/essays for Cool History and just the readings for MOH. We really like it, and when she comes in to tell me a cool fact, I know she's learning!!

Hi! I hope it is o.k. for me to jump in to the conversation! :001_smile:

My oldest will be a 9th grader next year. We have never used Biblioplan but I have always wanted to and am considering it for High School. Caroljenn, do you use the Greenleaf literature guides that are recommended in Year 1? I think my son would need the help that those offer for the literature of this time period. But, I am just wondering if they are enough help. By help, I just mean enough support so that we can count the BP reading as a part of his English credit. Thank you for any info. I really want to start at Ancients in 9th grade, but I know we will need help with the literature component.

Hi! I hope it is o.k. for me to jump in to the conversation! :001_smile:

My oldest will be a 9th grader next year. We have never used Biblioplan but I have always wanted to and am considering it for High School. Caroljenn, do you use the Greenleaf literature guides that are recommended in Year 1? I think my son would need the help that those offer for the literature of this time period. But, I am just wondering if they are enough help. By help, I just mean enough support so that we can count the BP reading as a part of his English credit. Thank you for any info. I really want to start at Ancients in 9th grade, but I know we will need help with the literature component.

The only lit guide I have right now is for Beowulf and its from Progeny Press. We haven't used it yet, but will in the next few weeks. I like what I see in it- it has vocab review and good questions, I am definitely giving my dd English credit for the readings for year 2. I am going to do the lit guide with dd at first to get her started and make sure she is giving intelligent answers and has the hang of it. Dd is a STEM kid and she hates analyzing literature, which is why she's getting the hand-holding treatment at first!

We didn't do Ancients, so I don't know about that one- sorry!

So... what do I really NEED for Biblioplan? Do I NEED the Companion if I'm going to use MoH? (I'm thinking "no". So if I don't get the Companion, do I NEED Cool History? Aren't Cool History assignments based on the Companion?

Can I do just fine with only MoH and the Bibliolplan guide?

I think you are correct. MOH has questions built in. I don't know if you'd even want the guide if you are doing just MOH, unless you are using it for Bible and English. The English assignments are not as spelled out in the guide - you could probably make your own English if you wanted to. Maybe use recommended WTM readings with a study guide? Also, the Cool History has Bible references and questions that help make up the Bible credit. You could, of course, do something for Bible too. You can download a sample of a page of the guide on Biblioplan's website - it is worth a look for you and your needs.

I really like the maps and the Cool History, but the MOH questions are good too. Dd was in private school through 8th grade, so she is used to a worksheet format and likes it. I don't have the timeline because I still have one from MFW. Overall, I am very happy with Biblioplan.

I am using Biblioplan with a teen girl, and she loves it. For Year I, we used the Companion, Cool History, maps, timeline, history and geography tests, and we have added the new discussion guide for Year 2. We don't use anything else for the history portion because the Companion, etc. is more than enough with literature guides and Bible reading/study. For ancient literature, we used most of the lit portion of Beautiful Feet Ancients; i.e. I typed this up as a study guide, and we also used Smarr literature guides. We worked through The Old Testament Challenge to add depth to the Bible reading. We use a separate English composition curriculum, so the Smarr guides were a good fit for us since they are primarily reading guides. I gave the following credits for Year 1 - 1 credit for Old Testatment Bible, 1/2 credit for World History, 1/2 credit for World Geography, 1 credit for Ancient literature.

Biblioplan is flexible. The Family Guide gives suggestions for supplemental reading and literature guides. You can follow those suggestions or not. I used resources I already had for Ancients.

Biblioplan is easy to use for me and my student, and we have worked out a schedule that is good for us; i.e. Monday- Read Companion and Cool History, Tuesday - Cool History, Wednesday - Cool History, Thursday - Off for music and errands, Friday - Mapwork and Discussion w/Mom. Dd studies a few days a week as well, so there is no cramming for tests. Literature has a separate time slot. Bible, we do together. We did not need 3 days for Cool History with Year 1, but Year 2 requires a bit more work, so I have scheduled 3 days.

We have used BP Year 2 and Year 1 for jr high and my dd loved it. We used Companion, Cool History, Maps, Timeline. She did the readings from MOH, but not the activities. We used Greenleaf's guide to the OT and I like that better than OT challenge (my other two used in MFW Ancients). BP is flexible! Readings can be as "heavy" or light as they need to be for each child. We use another writing/grammar/lit. analysis program, so that was not an issue for us. It worked beautifully with BP. If you are not going to use the Companion or Cool History, I probably wouldn't bother with BP. But, that said, if you are "visual" like I am, the price of having an "outline" in the Family Guide to gauge your year by is worth the price. You can buy BP in bits and pieces, which is nice. Their samples on the website give you a pretty good feel for the program.

HTH,

Mary

I can't remember which weeks are included in the year 1 sample, but if you can tell me which weeks you have I will check my BP schedule to see if any optional spines are scheduled for those weeks. But, yes, you should see the optional spines. I have the newest year 1 schedule and it looks like they are scheduled for almost every week.

I've used Biblioplan Year 1 and Year 2 but not with MOH. I used it when dd was in 6th grade. I've used Glencoe World history as an additional spine to the Companion. The cool history, tests, and advanced maps require the Companion. The one drawback I've found to the tests is that the questions come word-for-word from the weekly cool history pages. You are taking tests over 5-7 weeks at a time, but they still should have made the tests in a different format. I haven't had time to make them myself, but I have used additional activities from the Glencoe book to round things out for dd. I am not using BP again, though. Dd is going to do her American history credit next year. Year 3 of BP is being revised and will be released in sections. Their previous version used Hakim, which dd doesn't like at all.

Another question: I'm thinking about Biblioplan for next year and I've downloaded the three week sample. So far, I'm not seeing optional spines listed there such as MOH. Am I missing something?

Here is a link to the Ancients sample. MOH is listed near the bottom of the page. It may be that some of the weeks don't correlate to something in MOH.

So... what do I really NEED for Biblioplan? Do I NEED the Companion if I'm going to use MoH? (I'm thinking "no". So if I don't get the Companion, do I NEED Cool History? Aren't Cool History assignments based on the Companion?

Can I do just fine with only MoH and the Bibliolplan guide?

Since you mentioned that you don't own the MOH yet, might I suggest you locate a copy and review it prior to making any curriculum decisions. After reviewing MOH, you may decide that you don't need MOH at all. When I looked at MOH for my 7th grader, we were unimpressed.

Also, Biblioplan has a Yahoo Group. Blessings, h

Since you mentioned that you don't own the MOH yet, might I suggest you locate a copy and review it prior to making any curriculum decisions. After reviewing MOH, you may decide that you don't need MOH at all. When I looked at MOH for my 7th grader, we were unimpressed.

Also, Biblioplan has a Yahoo Group. Blessings, h

Actually, I really like MoH and I am pretty sure I want to use it, but I wasn't really impressed with the BP Companion. I was thinking of using the BP Guide because it schedules out MoH and also literature, but I would rather not use the Companion if I can get by without it. I'm not sure yet about the Cool History. I guess if the Cool History is based on the Companion, I'd have to either get both of them or neither of them, huh?