Menu

The lab of Mr.Q: life science? Is anyone using this this year?

Elm in NJ

I got dh to print it out for me yesterday and it is huge, about 800 pages for both the parents and student pages. I just started reading it this morning and it looks pretty good. I can't believe it is free. What a blessing! I'm so glad I did the donation thing. I'm planning on using it for my twins in grade 2.

Elmeryl

• 2 years later...

I'm trying it out this year with my 2nd grader. I just have DD read the chapter and do the worksheets. It's a stretch for me to do even this much, so we're not doing any of the labs/experiments.

Instead of printing the whole book out, I put the .pdf files on my Kindle. I do print the worksheets.

I'm very much a give-me-a-single-textbook and do-the-next-thing sort of gal, so it's working for us. I like that DD doesn't even realize that I'm skipping the experiments. (If we had to do experiments, I'd never get around to doing science.)

In chapter 4, niche is defined as what an organism does in its habitat. It could be somehow justified, in a round- about way, but then there is an example that making breakfast is niche. Sorry, no. Making something unique for a living could be your niche, or in the case of animals living in special conditions, in certain area could be your niche, or fulfilling some special function in the ecosystem can be your niche, but not doing something trivial. Then the extinction is defined as death of all organisms of the kind, and in parentheses it says population. Sorry, population does not include all the organisms of the kind, it is only a part of species living in a particular area. That was where I stopped reading. Maybe the rest of the book is better.

That was where I stopped reading. Maybe the rest of the book is better.

Thanks for the warning. I just sat down and read a few chapters in the book, and it doesn't get better. Be glad you stopped before you got to the definition of a species.

Sigh. I really wanted this book to work. Now I have to look for something else for science.

That's exactly what piqued my interest in this program--the Entertainment factor. It's something my ds would TOTALLY enjoy doing and could be fairly independent with it. It's not a TON of reading (IDK abt y'all but my kid reads a TON as it is!) but it gives a nice vocabulary for a 4th grader to build on.

I think for a FREE curriculum it's pretty nice! :D I just wish it came printed & bound! We have been without a pc for over a month now with no real solution in sight--I'm on my phone right now! I can't imagine trying to use an e-book full time on this tiny screen!

In chapter 4, niche is defined as what an organism does in its habitat. It could be somehow justified, in a round- about way, but then there is an example that making breakfast is niche. Sorry, no. Making something unique for a living could be your niche, or in the case of animals living in special conditions, in certain area could be your niche, or fulfilling some special function in the ecosystem can be your niche, but not doing something trivial.
I will be first to admit that I am not an expert in science, but this definition from biology-online seems to correlate fairly well to what you are indirectly quoting him as saying:

Definition

noun, plural: niches

(ecology) (1) The specific area where an organism inhabits.

(2) The role or function of an organism or species in an ecosystem.

(3) The interrelationship of a species with all the biotic and abiotic factors affecting it.

I don't see anything in this biological definition that connotes "specialness" or "uniqueness", as I am understanding your definition to be saying (unlike the general term "niche" as it applies to human endeavors).

I'm only bringing this up, because apparently there are some differences of understanding (I'm not saying one is right or wrong, because I have no ability to do that).

I have a degree in Biology/Environmental Science. It's been a while but I remember niche just defining an organisms role, not necessarily it's uniqueness.

Example: an herbivore that eats certain plants and in return is preyed upon by certain predators. A plant that is found in a certain area and eaten by certain animals.

So, a rabbits niche would be as a consumer of clover and other plants, as prey for foxes and other carnivores.

Although I do find the wording of the line quoted to be very awkward and confusing.

Although I do find the wording of the line quoted to be very awkward and confusing.

I am truly not trying to be argumentative, I honestly am trying to understand. How is statement #1 below "very awkward and confusing", specifically compared to your following statement?

Niche is defined as what an organism does in its habitat.

I remember niche just defining an organisms role, not necessarily it's uniqueness.

Is "what an organism does" that different from "an organism's role" (particularly when we're talking about early elementary children and not advanced students)?

I do use his materials, but I'm not married to it, lol; I would genuinely like to know if there truly is something that is intrinsically wrong with the series.

OK, I shouldn't have used the word unique, but my mistake doesn't make the book correct. I would be perfectly fine with any of the definitions you provided. A role in the ecosystem implies a certain level of specialness, although not necessarily uniqueness, it was my mistake. Anyway, I don't want to spend lots of time explaining that sleeping is not a niche, and taking an apple from a plate is not a niche. And then with my daughter I would have to listen for a lot of clauses. BTW, when I decided to read further she came up to my computer, read for a moment over my shoulder, and claimed that a pinecone is not a seed. And I myself felt very confused what learned traits have to do with grouping into species.

So, this book might be fine for some people, but not for us.

I am truly not trying to be argumentative, I honestly am trying to understand. How is statement #1 below "very awkward and confusing", specifically compared to your following statement?

Niche is defined as what an organism does in its habitat.

I remember niche just defining an organisms role, not necessarily it's uniqueness.

Is "what an organism does" that different from "an organism's role" (particularly when we're talking about early elementary children and not advanced students)?

I do use his materials, but I'm not married to it, lol; I would genuinely like to know if there truly is something that is intrinsically wrong with the series.

Sorry I was looking at something else and mixed up my posts. :tongue_smilie: I'm having a rough morning.

I've used parts of the free Life Science curriculum and will continue using it. I like the format and simplicity of it. I haven't found any obvious problems with the stuff I've used (mostly habitats and plants) but didn't read it in detail.