Menu

Math is going to be the death of me. Help?

For a big picture thinker. Quite capable and *good* at math. Age 11, being retained next year for another year of grade 6 (for entirely different reasons). Dyslexic. Able to look at a problem and seemingly *know* the answer - hates showing her work.

She is slated to begin Algebra 1 in the fall (unless puberty causes the rest of her math skills to fall from her brain - serious concern given the past few weeks).

However, since we're holding her back a year, there's no harm in doing prealgebra again either.

There are so many freakin' choices! She HATES the looks of Horizons Prealgebra (which I have on hand)... my guess would be because it covers much of what she's already covering in MM6 (with a few exceptions).

I could make her hate me and bring AOPS prealgebra to the table (she does need work on word problems). 'Cause, you know, payback stinks (just like her attitude lately).

Or I could ease her into Jacob's.

Or I could go with Tablet Class... but then do I do prealgebra or algebra... and she doesn't want a computer based ANYTHING.

Or I could put her on that big yellow bus that keeps taunting me from the subdivision roads :D

If she's dyslexic, I would hesitate to even think about AOPs. Only because AOPS is so heavily reading based.

Have you looked at Singapore's Discovering Mathematics? The year 7 is mostly pre-algebra, with some beginning algebra and beginning geometry in the mix. It is NOT wordy, like AOPS. Both programs are excellent, but they differ dramatically in that respect. Also, the word problems in DM are really excellent. It might be a good compromise -- going over some things she already knows, but then going deeper into those topics, and getting new topics, too.

I haven't had any experience with the other programs you've described, although I've heard good things about Jacobs, from friends who've used it.

Let's keep the big yellow bus in reserve for now. ;)

I have also heard good things about Jacobs. If I didn't think DS would do well with AoPS (which I agree doesn't sound like a good fit for your DD), that would probably be where I would look first. The good thing with that choice is that the beginning of Jacobs is generally thought of as a pre algebra review, so that might help solidify whether she is ready to move forward or not.

Jacobs is wordy as in blah blah blah get to the point. My dyslexic hated it. AOPS is visually hateful- so, so much on the page.

MUS is big picture. It is not blah blah for the sake of being chatty. The video instruction is friendly. The pages have the necessary info and diagrams, no unnecessary chat or color, and a nice balance of text and white space so that the pages are not visually overwhelming.

Mandy

Jacobs is wordy as in blah blah blah get to the point. My dyslexic hated it. AOPS is visually hateful- so, so much on the page.

MUS is big picture. It is not blah blah for the sake of being chatty. The video instruction is friendly. The pages have the necessary info and diagrams, no unnecessary chat or color, and a nice balance of text and white space so that the pages are not visually overwhelming.

Mandy

She doesn't want any programs that are internet or video based (she's always had an aversion to them; she is not an auditory learner at all and becomes very confused *hearing* something explained).

Hm, TabletClass probably wouldn't work for her if she doesn't like video. I would consider Dolciani Pre-A since it's pretty straightforward without being too wordy. Then you could have her advance through the sections she already knows by testing out of those sections. Although if she thinks Horizons is too redundant then she may feel the same way about Dolciani. Another thought would be to use 'Keys to Algebra' in preparation for Algebra next year. Jacobs is another possibilty. If you started Jacobs and it became too difficult you could always supplement with other sources such as Dolciani or Horizons.

I am more concerned about something you mentioned regarding her not wanting to 'show her work' or write the steps down. If she does nothing else before Algebra I would have her practice these computational skills as its so vital to higher level math. Once she hits Algebra and starts getting into more complex, multi-step problems she cannot simply rely on 'doing them in her head' anymore. That's ok for primary math but not much beyond. Both neatness and accuracy are much more important now. In fact many math instructors *require* students to show their work on both homework and tests to pass their class. In other words its not optional. I'm kind of surprised she got this far without doing it. This also speaks to Algebra readiness.

Hm, TabletClass probably wouldn't work for her if she doesn't like video. I would consider Dolciani Pre-A since it's pretty straightforward without being too wordy. Then you could have her advance through the sections she already knows by testing out of those sections. Although if she thinks Horizons is too redundant then she may feel the same way about Dolciani. Another thought would be to use 'Keys to Algebra' in preparation for Algebra next year. Jacobs is another possibilty. If you started Jacobs and it became too difficult you could always supplement with other sources such as Dolciani or Horizons.

I am more concerned about something you mentioned regarding her not wanting to 'show her work' or write the steps down. If she does nothing else before Algebra I would have her practice these computational skills as its so vital to higher level math. Once she hits Algebra and starts getting into more complex, multi-step problems she cannot simply rely on 'doing them in her head' anymore. That's ok for primary math but not much beyond. Both neatness and accuracy are much more important now. In fact many math instructors *require* students to show their work on both homework and tests to pass their class. In other words its not optional. I'm kind of surprised she got this far without doing it. This also speaks to Algebra readiness.

She hasn't got this far without writing her steps. Not wanting to write down the steps is a fairly *new* thing (came with puberty, about a year ago maybe, it appears). She looks at the problem, knows the answer, and WILL write the steps down - she just doesn't *want* to :p She doesn't see the point...

If you think she already knows most of what's in Horizons pre-algebra, then she's definitely ready for algebra! That book covers pre-algebra and then some.

She does, but there are a few exceptions. I'm going to pull out those *exceptions* and use them to teach from the board.

I'm afraid she'll revolt if I require her to do the entire book, lol.

She hasn't got this far without writing her steps. Not wanting to write down the steps is a fairly *new* thing (came with puberty, about a year ago maybe, it appears). She looks at the problem, knows the answer, and WILL write the steps down - she just doesn't *want* to :p She doesn't see the point...

My ds is like that too--I was told it may be dyslexia related, that his brain does not solve math in linear steps, so that when he does write it, it may not even be the process he actually used in his head, which may be more visual and conceptual.

Just a thought. Have you thought about a Kumon center? Rather than the whole yellow school bus thing, you might try out sourcing. Sometimes a change in voice and teacher can help. I don't think Kumon does much with word problems, but it is daily and she would be accountable to someone other than you. Then you could get a workbook of word problems to do with her at home.

Teaching Texbooks saved me from the big yellow bus a few years ago. VERY kid/parent friendly and the newest versions have been expanded to include more challenging topics in the older grades. It goes up to Pre-Calc.

Good Luck!

I love TT, but the OP stated that her dd did not want anything computer based and TT is all about the computer.

How about a completely different approach? Henri Piccioto has put the teacher's manual and several sample projects from the text Algebra: Themes, Tools, Concepts (student textbook is available used for cheap) online here. It is a project-based approach to algebra, looking at each concept from several directions, which can really help to cement a student's understanding. IMO that would be an excellent way to use a year between pre-algebra and a more traditional algebra course --- and then when you got to the more traditional course, all the topics should make sense and flow so much easier for your daughter, because she can connect them to the hands-on work she has done.

Completely different viewpoint here...My son is VSL though not dyslexic. He is taking an algebra course with a ps textbook. He is struggling but I've found 2 things...

1) Since he is big picture kid, I have found that providing a 5-10 minute overview of the lesson the night before the lecture to be incredibly helpful. I hit the main points and the purpose (where it's headed, why it's important). Then he can focus on the details of the lecture the next day bc he already knows the big picture. He can't follow the details until he knows the big picture.

2) When we study, we make summary sheets with different colored markers that only include the main tools covered. So 1 chapter might only require less than 20 lines of text (2 pages in large marker print) section by section. We review the main points repeatedly. We save the notes for midterm studying.

How has she done with pre-algebra? Is there a reason to repeat it? My dd12 rebels LOUDLY when she has to repeat things she has already done. Is your dd ready for algebra? You have an extra year to get through it. Or you could space out algebra and geometry.

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies and suggestions! I feel less like putting on her the big yellow bus :D

I had really, really hoped to farm out Algebra 1. Unfortunately, the only school here that allows homeschoolers to enroll for classes also requires a SOF that I can't sign. Bah humbug, lol.

On that note, Bacabunch - she is doing great with prealgebra. Math-wise. I'm still very concerned that she will be able to handle Algebra 1 or that she's mature enough for it. She doesn't enjoy math, she just happens to be pretty good at it and she tolerates it. She won't be 12 until August and I'm just not seeing any... stamina?.... when it comes to school work. I don't have much of a choice but to move her up, I think. I'm pretty sure she would revolt if I made her do this all over again - and I'm positive my husband will side with her, lol!

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies and suggestions! I feel less like putting on her the big yellow bus :D

I had really, really hoped to farm out Algebra 1. Unfortunately, the only school here that allows homeschoolers to enroll for classes also requires a SOF that I can't sign. Bah humbug, lol.

On that note, Bacabunch - she is doing great with prealgebra. Math-wise. I'm still very concerned that she will be able to handle Algebra 1 or that she's mature enough for it. She doesn't enjoy math, she just happens to be pretty good at it and she tolerates it. She won't be 12 until August and I'm just not seeing any... stamina?.... when it comes to school work. I don't have much of a choice but to move her up, I think. I'm pretty sure she would revolt if I made her do this all over again - and I'm positive my husband will side with her, lol!

I would recommend looking into MUS's alg and using it as alg-lite for next yr and repeating alg the following yr with a standard high school text. MUS has pretty blank pages for work which are not full of side bars, etc which can be distracting for dyslexics. It has been the perfect bridge from elementary type textbooks to high school textbooks for my younger kids.

http://store.mathusee.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1/algebra_1_sample_lesson.pdf

FWIW, since your dd loves science, spending extra time completely solidifying her alg 1 base is not time wasted.

...She doesn't enjoy math, she just happens to be pretty good at it and she tolerates it. She won't be 12 until August and I'm just not seeing any... stamina?.... when it comes to school work. I don't have much of a choice but to move her up, I think. I'm pretty sure she would revolt if I made her do this all over again - and I'm positive my husband will side with her, lol!

Have you read The Calculus Trap? It's a short article about the danger of rushing students through the standard curriculum, when going deeper into topics would provide a better foundation for future work. And for most students, the slower, richer path is also much more interesting than just going on to "the next thing" in the standard series of courses.

One great way to provide depth at the middle school level is to introduce combinatorics and probability. I blogged about a few of the problems my daughter and I worked. She would have been 12 at the time:

Like your daughter, mine does not particularly enjoy math, even though she's good at it. She doesn't have much stamina to work on her own, which is why we do a lot of buddy math. We've taken our time on math, going slowly through an assortment of books, and she's still working through pre-algebra at age 14. But this slower, deeper approach has allowed her to develop the creative problem-solving skill you can see in the stories above.

Try MEP. It has lots of word problems without being wordy. You could start with the high school stuff ( year 7). Its meant for children who haven't used MEP before, so its a good recap of primary, which means it works as revision or as a learning program. My son isn't mathy. MEP has taught him to think like a mathematician. I can't speak highly enough of it. I studied maths at uni and I'm amazed at how cleverly MEP introduces concepts and leads students to understanding. And it's free.

D