Menu

Does anyone else here NOT eat only healthy foods?

Catwoman

I love kale. So there :p

There must be something...

Triple cream brie? Baguettes made with white flour? Key lime pie? Butter on popcorn? Extra salt on your kale chips?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those crazy people that grinds my own wheat and has grass fed beef in the freezer with pasture raised chickens, raw milk, and a huge amount of non GMO garden produce set aside from my basically organic garden. Yet despite all that, we have a pizza night once a weak with a frozen pizza, popcorn in our pantry as well as chips. I have a junk food drawer for treats and stressful days, and every once in awhile, I just don't care what the kids eat and throw all sorts of ready made type processed food in front of them. We eat pretty healthy around here about 80% of the time, but well, my sanity is much more important to me than a couple meals that might not be so healthy.

Just popping back in to share that I had Grand Marnier Chocolate Mousse for dessert at the restaurant DH and I went to tonight. Chocolate and liquor mixed together in a bunch of yummy deliciousness. So, so, so good. Since the Grand Marnier was in mousse form, I don't think I was committing a faux pas by continuing to drink my Malbec along with it. :tongue_smilie:

There must be something...

Triple cream brie? Baguettes made with white flour? Key lime pie? Butter on popcorn? Extra salt on your kale chips?

I'd do triple cream brie on a crusty baguette on occasion.

Key Lime Pie? Unlikely.

Butter on popcorn? Nah. Butter (sweet and very fresh) for other purposes? Sure. In moderation. Butter with Marmite? Heaven!

And I like my kale steamed or raw. Not as chips. No salt.

Bill

Butter with Marmite? Heaven!

:ack2:

Give me pork rinds please. (But not the packaged kind... I'm a pork rind snob.)

I'm trying to "like" all of the posts here, but the stupid thing keeps telling me I've used up my quota. :cursing:

I am not kidding when I say that I really appreciate all of the posts to this thread -- I was honestly thinking that I was one of very few people here who didn't eat "100% clean, 100% of the time," and it was making me feel like a lazy slug. (Even more than usual, and that's saying something. :tongue_smilie:)

There have been so many threads where people have posted what they served for different meals, and I'd be sitting there thinking, "Well, there was some tomato on the burgers we ate at Wendy's so that sort of counts as a vegetable, and the pickles are really cucumbers, and the fries are made of potatoes... and there might have been some milk in that shake..." :rolleyes:

I'd do triple cream brie on a crusty baguette on occasion.

Key Lime Pie? Unlikely.

Butter on popcorn? Nah. Butter (sweet and very fresh) for other purposes? Sure. In moderation. Butter with Marmite? Heaven!

And I like my kale steamed or raw. Not as chips. No salt.

Bill

Have you ever tried Vegemite??

Twinkie cake, red meat and jelly beans regularly cross my lips and then are forever anchored to my hips. I am a very good cook so that is problematic as well. I can make brussels sprouts that make your heart sing! And I will share the recipe. I drink whole milk with hersheys syrup too! And if it is a hot flash day then I go to raw cookie dough. :lol:

I will openly admit to being a junk food eater :laugh:

I, myself would have no problem with a strict,healthy diet. In fact I used to be that way till I got married. And then suddenly there was always junk food in the house and a DH that was complaining "What is this stuff...I think I'll just get take out if thats what we are having" :glare:

And then I birthed a child with SPD and has texture adversions and I had to give in and feed her what she wanted if I was to get her to eat ANYTHING.

And now whenever I try to eat healthy I have 4 other people who complain mightily.

It's so hard to change my kids diet when DH eats junk in front of them all the time - even if I dont buy it he does. DH once told me that even if he had a food allergy he would still eat the food because he would rather be sick then miss out on his favourites :confused1:

Anyway - I did manage to go gluten free for 8 months with my DD - it didnt help her issues enough that I thought it was pointless and went off it. I do need to limit gluten in my house though - all my kids get big, dark circles under their eyes when they have been eating too much of it.

I also DETEST cooking ... mostly because whatever I make someone won't eat.

So after years of failed attempts at healthy eating it's now ''Ok you want hotdogs two days in a row ..here you go" " You want a cookie for afternoon tea ...ok but you can only have two and here's an apple so I don't feel guilty about all the crap I fed you today " :leaving:

We have store bought pizza just about evry Tuesday night because its half price - and I dont have to cook and my kids will eat it. If I made my own at home they wouldn't.

The only food I have a strict NO on is soda. I think it is terrible stuff -especially for kids. They do have it occaisionally at parties but even when we go to McDonalds I make my kids drink the bottles of water. DH often brings it home but the kids know they are not allowed more then a small mouthful of it.

I actually eat the least junk food in my family...I just dont like it. I just can't seem to convince anyone else to join in with me though.

When my kids leave home I'm planning to go all healthy and DH can just eat out everyday if he doesn't like it. :lol:

I am trying to get us further along the clean healthy scale, and I would say we are about 75%. I did take DS to sonic for lunch today, because I have been 90% lactose free but needed some cheddar bites and a large Diet coke with extra ice! Not want, needed! We also went to an OKC Thunder game last night, with fancy pants box seats, a buffet and a waitress. I am not going to say what all I consumed for dinner, but I finished it off with 2 large beers and some funnel cake fries from the concession stand. The kids didn't want the good food and I bought them Burgers as well.

Breakfast yesterday and today and most days is steel cut oats made with nut butter, homey, and fruit stirred in. Snacks are fruits and veggies or lean meats and crackers.

Dinner tonight was grilled chicken, grilled mini bell peppers and broccolli, a small yukon gold potato each and canteloupe. I did drizzle the veggies with olive oil and we had KerryGold butter on our potatoes.

Monday night was taco salad made with lean beef, lots of baby lettuce, spinach and kale, tomatoes onions bell peppers, black beans and salsa for the dressing.

I don't want to gain weight, and DS weight is of some concern to me, more from a social than health aspect, so I try to get good food in as much as possible. Our new living arrangements and the longer daylight hours mean he is getting 2.5-3 hours a day of active outdoor play with other kids and they come back sweaty and gross!

Well if it makes anyone feel any better, I just sat and finished two good size bowls of chips while I finished a book. And that was after the Pi Day chocolate pie. :D

Of course, they were BAKED Ruffles.... Does that disqualify me from the thread? ;)

I have eaten at McDonald's every day of my life for over 40 years. It is sad, but true. I am not fat and my total cholesterol was less than 100 the last time I had it checked. I know I will die from cancer at a fairly young age based on family history so I see no reason to stress over food.

I know someone who has eaten a strict paleo diet for years and was just diagnosed with cancer. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with genes then food consumption although I'm not saying disregard your diet totally.

I have thought many times over that people here would be horrified to see the inside of my pantry. I have Coke in there- multiple bottles and I won't give it up!!! I also have some boxes of Kraft Mac and cheese sitting on the shelf, and we have eaten pasta twice this week already. We are all at a healthy, and I do get lots of fruits and veggies, but we love our chips too.

Actually this evening I was getting my daughter some goldfish when I noticed ds's open pencil sharpener was in the box. I didnt see any shavings in the box and I didnt know if the sharpener was clean or not. I have no idea why or how it got there (ok, I have a 2 yr old so I have some idea about how), and I was going to post to see if people thought I should throw out the box or not, but I didn't post bc I didn't want people to judge me about having goldfish in the pantry. Whew! Glad I got that off my chest!

We don't have have goldfish crackers in Australia but whenever my mum sends over a care package from the US I ask her to include some. My kids especially love the rainbow coloured ones. :drool:

Basically, I don't think that much about it. I make food we like to eat.

It involves a lot of chicken (I have no clue if it is organic or not. I just buy it at the market). We also eat plenty of veggies because we like them. But we all love chips, drink coffee every day, eat chocolate when the mood strikes and eat out often. We all have good weight, good health and are happy.

I have no problem with people who like to spend a lot of time shopping and cooking from scratch and growing their own food and what-not. It is just not my thing.

What bugs me are people who think eating a certain way is somehow more righteous than others. You eat what you want and I will eat what I want.

I had a severe eating disorder and I just can't make my whole life about what I put into my mouth anymore.

I traveled that road, too, and it's the main reason I have the attitude that I do now about food. Having ones life centered around an obsession with healthy eating and weight is not a lifestyle I ever want to go back to, and certainly something I want to teach my boys to avoid.

I love kale. So there :p

Bill

We love kale too. We plant enough in our garden that we can have it (about once a week) all winter long since it winters so well. We're out now, but we'll be planting more in a week or so when we also plant spinach, peas, and broccoli. Spinach can't handle the cold temps of deep winter though. You could dig through snow to get nice kale.

Kale goes great with kielbasa and fries! (Or salmon... ;) or anything in between. )

NOPE! I don't stick to all healthy!

We don't buy grass fed organic anything.

Right now we have chips and ice cream in the house

I also buy frozen foods on many occasions. Pizza, pot stickers, ravioli, stuff Costco sells.

Full fat milk, surgery cereal, Quiver's cinnamon rolls on an almost weekly basis, Dove dark chocolate, cheese and butter in large quantity, homemade white flour baguettes,... I could go on and on, but please don't make me. I'm getting embarrassed!

We do eat good stuff, too.

We do 'healthy plus'. Almost all the main meals are healthy and most are cooked from scratch. But we have store-bought biscuits (cookies) in the house, and probably go through a couple of packets per week between the four of us. The boys have one sweetie (a piece of candy or a square of chocolate) most days. And they have fizzy drinks at weekends at lunch time.

Laura

I suspect that one man's healthy choice is another man's poison.

I love grains including wheat, currently disparaged by many. Although I do not grind my own wheat, I keep whole wheat flour (bread and pastry) in the pantry as well as King Arthur plain flour. It is the latter that goes into cookies, cakes--or the hot cross buns I made earlier in the week. (Although I did toss in a cup of whole wheat...)

Frankly I cannot stand most store sweets. They are too sweet! There is some Jones soda in my fridge that I purchased for my son and his friends to consume over their Christmas break from college. Not a single bottle was opened. Please don't make me drink Coke! Pass the red wine--or a cup of tea without sugar.

I guess I am one of those weirdos who really likes her vegetables. If you like fast food and are healthy, good for you.

Jane

P.S. I also love dairy. Hands off my cheese--the real thing, not that fake orange plastic stuff.

We had pizza last night. We have a garden, we are buying a portion of home raised pig this fall, we are contemplating chickens and a goat in the future. We eat wheat breath and whole grain bread because we prefer it flavorwise. I always have. We make casserole with cream of mushroom soup. We eat condensed soup for lunch. My kids eat fruit snacks. I have some Ben and Jerry's in the freezer. I drink soda.

We try to eat healthy, but convenience wins some days. I do use my crock pot a lot! We own two businesses, I teach dance at one in the evenings. I don't have time to cook all the time. DH cooks many nights, but if the baby has been a handful or if he spends all night in the garden...we make a quick dinner at 9pm.

I have a different definition of "healthy food" than a lot of people. I'm in the "ice cream is healthy" camp (it has much in common with human breast milk, after all). Both salty and sweet foods help people de-stress, and lord knows we need more de-stressing these days.

I'm also in the "awesome metabolism trumps whatever the scale says in regards to healthy weight" camp.

Last night I had dark chocolate covered almonds for supper. They were from Whole Foods bulk bin, so, you know, they had been hanging out with health food before I bought them.

I like to read about nutrition, but it's more along the lines of Ray Peat, Danny Roddy, and Matt Stone.

I tend to wonder more about people's sleep patterns and how it relates to their health.

I haven't read all the posts, but it's how I grew up and most of my friends IRL are healthy eaters. I don't think I've ever had white bread in my house in my entire life.

However, we eat out quite a bit and I do buy Oreos once in a while! We are working on five boxes of GS cookies right now!

It's a goal, something we have made a priority in our lives, an area we've chosen to focus our time and money on, etc. it's just a different value and that's ok. I think maybe homeschoolers focus on food more because, well, they are home! I know I had more time to devote to what we ate once I quit my job. I also had less money and had to figure out how we were going to eat. I don't have the money to buy a lot of snacks and junk anymore.

Yeah that's another thing. People have their own opinions about healthy. A lot of people are anti fat. I'm not. I don't buy fat free dairy anything. I don't buy the lowest fat cuts of meat. I don't think the low fat stuff is healthy.

I love vegetables. I always have. I have a few people in my family who absolutely hate them though.

Us too. Full fat, butter not margarine, etc. We just eat LESS.

In another thread, someone mentioned they ate an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in one sitting once and made it seem like "yikes!". I had to LOL on that because if I have a pint of ice cream in front of me, I'm eating that entire pint of ice cream! How's that for healthy!?!?

Back on topic - I do strive to prepare as much healthy foods as possible, from scratch but it's not realistic in my world. I do keep snacks as healthy as possible too but baking up a batch of cookies and letting the girls have a cookie for snack is something I do. I also have the "token" kid food on hand for when I just don't feel like making anything - Spaghettios, boxed mac n cheese, canned ravioli.

I do take the girls to McDonalds probably once or twice a month but they aren't allowed fried food or soda. They get double apples and milk with their Happy Meals (cheeseburger and hamburger).

I tend to wonder more about people's sleep patterns and how it relates to their health.

Totally off topic (Sorry, OP!) but did you see the news story in the BBC last year on segmented sleep patterns? Link. It was found that before cities became illuminated people slept in two distinctive chunks--often doing things in the middle of the night between sleeps.

This resembles my typical sleep pattern that I have had since childhood. I was up at 1:30 this morning, reading before returning to sleep.Hence I took comfort in the article.

I made the mistake of serving some young guests soup with kale in it. I did chicken nuggets after that.

We eat lots of weird vegetables and grains and legumes. I also make Hamburger Helper, which seems to be the worst thing you could possibly do to your children. Sometimes I buy poptarts. My 2 year old finishes my glasses of soda. Depending on what meal you join us for, you might think we are freaky-deaky crunchy granola healthy. Or you might think we eat nothing but processed garbage.

I made the mistake of serving some young guests soup with kale in it. I did chicken nuggets after that.

We eat lots of weird vegetables and grains and legumes. I also make Hamburger Helper, which seems to be the worst thing you could possibly do to your children. Sometimes I buy poptarts. My 2 year old finishes my glasses of soda. Depending on what meal you join us for, you might think we are freaky-deaky crunchy granola healthy. Or you might think we eat nothing but processed garbage.

I don't buy pop tarts...but Grandma does!! The girls love going to Grandma's overnight because they get pop tarts for breakfast!

I'm trying to "like" all of the posts here, but the stupid thing keeps telling me I've used up my quota. :cursing:

We have a LIMIT?? I was just thinking how nice it is to "like" posts; it saves a lot of quoting & saying "Hilarious!" "ITA" etc.

I wonder what the limit is. I guess I'll know it when I get there. :D

Cat, you are my new best friend. :D I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I drink sodas daily (diet or "zero" varieties). I eat chocolate daily. Friday night is pizza night, and Saturday is usually leftover pizza night. We have been known to have Krispy Kreme donuts for dinner. I hate just about all vegetables. I LOATHE cooking so we have lots of processed, nuke 'em-type foods for the kids to make on their own. And we are all physically healthy. I'm not as thin as I'd like to be, but not too overweight (5'7" and 165). My kids are thin and active. No health problems. Heck, they've never even had a cavity. We all take vitamins daily, but I also make my kids have milk and fruit with every meal (since we don't do veggies). And I limit them to one dessert (cookies, ice cream, etc) and one snack (fruit roll ups, packs of peanut butter crackers, etc.) per day. I am definitely a do as I say, not as I do parent. They eat better than I do, but who cares. I'm old. :D

...I am definitely a do as I say, not as I do parent. They eat better than I do, but who cares. I'm old. :D

Ha - in our house it's the opposite, I eat better than everyone else. I feel guilty for allowing the chips and soft drinks. I mean, my 17yo doesn't have a job; if I quit buying them he wouldn't eat them!

The joke in our family is that I love the dog more than the kids, because I let them eat junk, but won't let anything unhealthy into the dog. But that's more of a self preservation thing - if the kids get an upset intestinal tract, they don't poop on my carpet.

Ha - in our house it's the opposite, I eat better than everyone else. I feel guilty for allowing the chips and soft drinks. I mean, my 17yo doesn't have a job; if I quit buying them he wouldn't eat them!

The joke in our family is that I love the dog more than the kids, because I let them eat junk, but won't let anything unhealthy into the dog. But that's more of a self preservation thing - if the kids get an upset intestinal tract, they don't poop on my carpet.

LOL.... Well, I will say that I don't allow the kids to have sodas. Those are only for me. :D

What on earth is vegamite? Off to look it up...

Ok, now that I know what it is, what does it taste like?

What on earth is vegamite? Off to look it up...

Ok, now that I know what it is, what does it taste like?

Vegemite and Marmite, which despite the claims of ardent nationalists, are very similar. They are also very polarizing. It is often claimed that unless one grows up consuming them that one will never accept either of these two. I put the lie to that rule as never tried either until early adulthood, and loved both. But it be fair clumped into the food items that are somewhat euphemistically called "an acquired taste."

Originally these were the by-products of ale making. All the yeast and what-not that that made the dregs once the wort was poured off, and these dregs were boiled off to from a thick brown "gunk."

The nose is toastly-yeasty (some would argue offensively so), the taste is mix of salty, bitter (slightly reminiscent of biting into a vitamin pill, and umami (savory). In that last regard almost "meat-like" despite being vegetarian. But there are beef based extracts like Bovril that are similar).

Since the extract packs a both an olefactory and taste punch it is a common practical joke to spread it way too thick and serve it to the uniniated to see their predicable negative reaction.

But with a kind introduction, which might be a nice piece of toast with a generous slather of fresh butter and a very scant amount of Vegemite (or Marmite) spread across the top, you might just like it. It is a flavor bomb.

I love it. My son loves it. My wife (who is an adventurous eater) usually takes a pass.

Bill

Totally off topic (Sorry, OP!) but did you see the news story in the BBC last year on segmented sleep patterns? Link. It was found that before cities became illuminated people slept in two distinctive chunks--often doing things in the middle of the night between sleeps.

This resembles my typical sleep pattern that I have had since childhood. I was up at 1:30 this morning, reading before returning to sleep.Hence I took comfort in the article.

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was interesting. I think there's a book or two on the subject. I recently read that one of the stress hormones (adrenaline? cortisol?) peaks in the middle of the night, and depending on your relative stress level/metabolism, that can wake you up. I wonder if the two phenomenon are related.

And once again you and I wander off on an odd tangent ....

Vegemite and Marmite

But it be fair clumped into the food items that are somewhat euphemistically called "an acquired taste.

They have a taste and odor much like I'd expect of toe jam, and I'd rather eat beets (for which my distaste has taken on legendary proportions). Heck, I'd rather eat McDonald's or "cheese" in a can.

They have a taste and odor much like I'd expect of toe jam, and I'd rather eat beets (for which my distaste has taken on legendary proportions). Heck, I'd rather eat McDonald's or "cheese" in a can.

Yes, "toe jam" would be a very apt descriptor.

And I adore roasted beets. We do a fresh batch weekly.

Bill

Yes, "toe jam" would be a very apt descriptor.

And I adore roasted beets. We do a fresh batch weekly.

Bill

Yet you remain silent on "cheese" in a can. :tongue_smilie:

But with a kind introduction, which might be a nice piece of toast with a generous slather of fresh butter and a very scant amount of Vegemite (or Marmite) spread across the top, you might just like it. It is a flavor bomb.

I love it. My son loves it. My wife (who is an adventurous eater) usually takes a pass.

Bill

Just yesterday I was noticing the jars of Marmite on the grocery shelf, and wondering what one would do with it. I sort of assumed it fell into the umami category.

Edited to add: All this talk of beets is bringing on a craving.

Catwoman, I'm all for moderation and balance. I could have written your post except for the beefaroni. Canned pasta? Ew.

And we don't like kale. We tried. We really did.

I'm always confused when people ask if I like salty or sweet? :confused1: Both? I would like an order of french fries, followed up with a maple glazed donut please. :drool5:

:iagree: It shouldn't be either-or. Both is an acceptable choice. :)

Key lime pie?

Mmmm! Key lime pie. Made with actual key limes. No green food coloring. It's a Floridian thing.

That was the first record I ever bought.

It's unbelievably easy to give me an earworm.

::walks away from computer singing "He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich"::