Menu

kids' sports and glasses

athena1277

I signed my kids up for soccer this spring. Both wear glasses and I'm wondering if that will be a problem. I can't afford to buy them the special sports glasses. Do I need to buy them one of those straps that keeps them tight on the head? They will be playing in a hs league that is not super competitive. Am I over thinking this? What has your experience been with soccer and kids who wear glasses?

My son has been fine wearing regular glasses. Zenni sells cheap plastic glasses as well, if you're worried. I bought my son prescription sunglasses from them just for that purpose. He broke them and wore his regular glasses from then on.

Tell them not to take any headers and they should be fine. The only time I've ever seen an issue with glasses in soccer the girl was heading the ball, badly. I played for 6 seasons. (2 seasons per year) My brother for another 4 seasons beyond that. My kids have been playing since oldest was in 4th grade, she is now in 12th. So lots of soccer playing here. But I do have to say that since I saw that one girl bust her glasses and cut her eye/nose, I get nervous when I see anyone on the field wearing them.

But definitely check the league rules.