Menu

LG Optimus Elite or Samsung Galaxy Victory cell phone reviews?

somo_chickenlady

DH and I need to get new phones. The ones we have now are through the Walmart Family Plan through T-Mobile, and while they worked well when we lived in Missouri, we don't get service in half of Omaha b/c their coverage is so terrible. Plus, we still have MO numbers, and we'd like to get NE ones, and my DH is tired of his flip phone b/c it SUCKS to text on. We also want android based phones again b/c we have had them in the past and our current ones aren't and we don't really like them.

We are looking at going through Sprint, and if we get it through our Sams membership it is $20 cheaper per month. There are two phones we are looking at, the LG Optimus Elite and the Samsung Galaxy Victory, b/c both are only $.96 when we sign the contract. They also have the HTC Evo 4G LTE, but my DH read that unless you are in a 4G area they are really slow (any opinions on that??).

Does anyone have either of those phones? If so, what do you like about it? Is there anything you don't like? How hard/easy are they to text on? My phone now, and the one before (Droid2) both have slide out keyboards, so I am worried about texting on a touch screen. That fact is leaning me more toward the Samsung simply b/c it is bigger. I am writing this post on a Kindle Fire touch screen with huge buttons, and it is hard enough. I don't typically text dissertations, though. LOL

Any reviews and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are hoping to get them tomorrow. Thanks!

I had the Optimus Elite and I thought it was just OK. I was kind of relieved when it broke so I could replace it. My biggest complaint was that I couldn't get the dialpad to come back on the screen once a call was in progress. Made it impossible to even get voicemail as I couldn't enter my PIN once the call was in progress and the screen went dark.

I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim that I like a million times better. We are using Straight Talk prepaid by the month for $45 per phone and have been extremely happy with the service. It actually uses Verizon's network, so we get great coverage in our area for both phone and 3G.

Both the Optimus Elite and the Galaxy Proclaim have Swype which makes texting on the screen really easy. It's a great feature.

I have an Optimus Elite through Virgin Mobile's no-contract, $35 a month for 300 talk minutes and unlimited text and data. They use the Sprint network for that. I find it super easy to text because it comes loaded with Swype, which I like. I'm not having the problem trinchick speaks of - if I need the keypad when a call is in progress I just jiggle the phone a little and it lights up and is usable again.

I really, really, really like my phone. Dh has the HTC One V also with above plan and while it's fancier than mine, I like my interface a lot better. I'm not smart enough for his phone ;-)

I don't like my Optimus Elite, personally. But I'm a Mac person and loathe android. It has so many glitches, it's definitely warned me off trying one ever again.

That's interesting. I'm a Mac person too, (and iPad, ipod, shuffle, time machine, etc), but my Android is superior. I have a Galaxy Note II, and it's fast, accurate, no glitches, and has amazing resolution. My dh is often at Apple corporate, and the higher-up people are always playing with his Note. For now, with that phone, Android easily out-performs the iPhone. We're hoping the next iPhone version catches up.

Thanks for your help everyone!! After talking to a sales rep last night we decided not to go with Sprint anyway b/c they don't have 4G LTE in our city, and we can get LTE phones through Verizon for the same price per month. I'm actually looking at the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere 2, instead, b/c it has a slide out keyboard like my current phone, and the Walmart we shop at has it for only 96¢.

Thanks again!