Menu

Vets, Vet Techs, Dog People...What's wrong with my dog?

AlmiraGulch

My dog is behaving strangely.

He's panting excessively and seems very out of breath. He's seems like he can't get comfortable and keeps lying down one place for a couple of minutes then moving to another and another. He has plenty of water but isn't drinking excessively.

We played a bit earlier but nothing crazy. Just a little ball tossing. He did eat part of a shoe earlier. I think he got a little leather off the back of my favorite dress mule. :huh:

He has never acted like this before. Am I just being paranoid?

He's a 9 month old Olde English Bulldogge puppy and was just at the vet last week.

I took your advice and called the emergency vet. The dog was sleeping at the time, but his respiration was abnormally fast.

The vet said as long as he was sleeping and didn't seem otherwise uncomfortable that she'd wait and see, but if he showed additional signs of distress to take him right in. She asked a bunch of questions about his abdomen (I'm sure looking for signs of bloat, as some of you said, which bullies are all prone to because of their deep, wide chests), eyes, skin, energy level, etc. before making the recommendation.

About 10 minutes later the dog woke up and his breathing seemed to go back to normal. DH took him outside to see how he did on a short walk, and the dog apparently burped, farted, and had a monstrous bowel movement. :crying: He seems much better now.

I wonder if he was just constipated or something?

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice. I was ready to go but I'm glad I called first. I'm still concerned about him and if he seems off in the morning I'll take him to our normal vet. He was just not acting like himself at all.

I took your advice and called the emergency vet. The dog was sleeping at the time, but his respiration was abnormally fast.

The vet said as long as he was sleeping and didn't seem otherwise uncomfortable that she'd wait and see, but if he showed additional signs of distress to take him right in. She asked a bunch of questions about his abdomen (I'm sure looking for signs of bloat, as some of you said, which bullies are all prone to because of their deep, wide chests), eyes, skin, energy level, etc. before making the recommendation.

About 10 minutes later the dog woke up and his breathing seemed to go back to normal. DH took him outside to see how he did on a short walk, and the dog apparently burped, farted, and had a monstrous bowel movement. :crying: He seems much better now.

I wonder if he was just constipated or something?

Anyway, thanks for all of your advice. I was ready to go but I'm glad I called first. I'm still concerned about him and if he seems off in the morning I'll take him to our normal vet. He was just not acting like himself at all.

Well, with all of those symptoms it sound slike you lucked out. He sound slike he was suffering form an excess amount of gas BUT was able to expell it on hiw own this time. Very lucky, however with him being this younng and already having moments like that I would print the chart that i posted for you and keep that on your fridge for moments like this. Follow that chart, again with bloat/gdv/torsion hours can make the difference between life and death.

Glad everything seems to have worked out so far.

Allene

I just saw this this morning, and am so glad he is okay! I was going to tell you that our dog had those same symptoms many years ago, and when we finally brought him into the vet, she said he had a blockage and was unable to urinate. He had been like that for a couple days, and she felt if we had waited even a couple hours longer, he probably wouldn't have survived. I shiver even now thinking of the pain and discomfort he was in. :(

He also vomited this morning, and there was a giant chunk of hard plastic in it! I wonder if he didn't have some sort of airway blockage, too, that moved itself around enough to make him more comfortable to sleep all night. I don't know. He's completely back to normal now, though.

I'm definitely on alert for bloat, particularly because it's quite common for the breed. But his abdomen wasn't distended everything felt normal enough when I palpated it, and he showed no indication of discomfort with pressure applied to the area. I was still going to take him. He made me very nervous!

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes!