Menu

I need suggestions for Computer Applications course

I just found out that most of the colleges around here are now requiring a 1/2 credit of computer applications. To be honest, I'm not even sure what this is, much less where to start looking. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :) Thanks!

Found these syllabus from high school webpages.

Very concise syllabus http://www.southcolumbushigh.com/CrystalStubbs/ca1/computer_applications_1.htm

Very detailed 11 pages syllabus http://www.greensburg.k12.in.us/gchs/Curriculum/Business/Computer%20Apps%20Curr.%202006.pdf

This one has the grading rubric http://www.lbusd.k12.ca.us/Main_Offices/Curriculum/Areas/Technology/pdf/courses/Compapps1withSPEDrev0508.pdf

Which state are you in? I might be able to find the syllabus from your state's high schools.

I bought a used college text called "Discovering Computers." I have forgotten what 'assignments' made up the grade. In reality my children probably could have just been "given" the credit for computer applications based upon our real life experience. I felt uncomfortable with doing that though. You can prob find cheap on Amazon used.

I teach the basic computer literacy course required of all majors at the local community college, and it is basically an expansion of what is taught (and required) at the local public high schools. We do the major Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access) plus networks, Internet, computer ethics, etc. It is a hodge-podge of topics. We use two textbooks and an online application that they have to buy an access code for.

My own children work through the Microsoft Office textbook I use in about 9th grade or so, and they do most of the computer upgrades, updates, etc. with adult supervision so they know that. We use "Microsoft Office 2010: Illustrated Introductory" by Baskeen. It is still pricey, but most colleges are going to Office 2013 in the fall, so the prices should go down soon if you do Office 2010.

Then they take the course I teach as dual enrollment in about 11th grade. At that point it is an easy college credit that counts towards a 2-year or 4-year degree plus high school credit.

We incorporate computer literacy into their other courses - they learn to use the software by working on a project/assignment. They learned to use:

Word (essays),

Powerpoint ( history and science presentations),

Excel, scientific graphing and fitting software (science lab),

LaTex (lab reports with lots of equations)

basic web design

They also learn about hardware (building a computer from parts) and programming.

We find the learning by doing approach the best- after all, that's how we learned to use all the software we are using. They can figure it out by themselves.

Thanks, everyone. I don't feel comfortable or knowledgeable enough to try to put something together. I was hoping to find something all put together for us. In my internet search I came across A Beka computer applications. But, I think its now called Document processing, not sure if the two are the same. I suppose that might work, but I don't know anything about it. Anyone have any experiencewith either of those? Thanks!

You might try this site:

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/office2010

It's all FREE. There are videos to watch, quizzes to take, and mini-projects at the end of each lesson. Around here, the standard seems to be Word, Power Point, Access, and Excel along with some basic introductory computer stuff. If you go to the home page of the site above, you'll find lots of cool stuff.