Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

What to do with old VHS movies?

I have about 50 children's movies on VHS. We are decluttering, and I don't know what to do with them. Does anyone still accept these as donation items?

My Friends of the Library Group still accepts them as donations. Drop 'em off and write 'em off. :)

Guest inoubliable

Our Goodwill won't take them anymore and neither will our library. You might need to call around. What about a daycare center?

I think our library and Goodwill don't take them anymore. I hadn't considered freecycle... that's a good idea...

I'm rather ruthless and throw most of them out. Kind on a shame I know. I do give some to people I know that still have a VHS player. We've never had too many in the first place although I threw out about 4 this week while decluttering.

Check before donating to the library or Friends of the Library. Our new director just had all adult VHS toss in the dumpsters. She did allow the childrens be sold at the book sale. Boy, did I have to deal w/angry patrons. I don't blame them-there were a lot of movies that aren't in our collection in VHS. Heck, I would have bought some of them!

There are converters out there for sale that are about a hundred bucks to convert everything to DVD. I don't use any LP or VHS or cassette anymore, but if you had a ton of them but wanted to archive on DVD or whatever, that might be a way to go.

Freecycle or see if you have a small local zoo that could use them. The zoo we volunteer for uses the movies as enrichment for the primates. One of the males LOVES Disney movies so we donated several to him for Christmas this year.

My daughter's movie library is 100% VHS, most bought at the thrift store! My Goodwill not only takes them, they charge a whopping $2!!!

Please don't throw them out! See what thrift stores take them, or offer them on Freecycle. Almost everyone I know does VHS for kid movies. It is SO much more economical than DVDs!!!

Freecycle or see if you have a small local zoo that could use them. The zoo we volunteer for uses the movies as enrichment for the primates. One of the males LOVES Disney movies so we donated several to him for Christmas this year.

That is the most fabulous thing I've heard in days! :)

I love buying VHS at goodwill, the kids can manage those on their own better than DVDs. DVDs get all scratched up and then I'm also only out $0.35 each. Also love picking up VCR players at goodwill too because when one dies, a replacement is only a few dollars. Far better cost effective than DVDs, though they annoyingly take up more space.

There are converters out there for sale that are about a hundred bucks to convert everything to DVD. I don't use any LP or VHS or cassette anymore, but if you had a ton of them but wanted to archive on DVD or whatever, that might be a way to go.

You can get such products for around $50:

Link to Amazon Page

These products work OK, the only thing is that it can be a bit time-consuming. After all, you have to play the VHS tape in "real time" to record it.

See if there is a yard-sale swap type group for your area on Facebook. I live in a small town of about 17,000 and we have a 4,000 member group that's very active. I see VHS tapes for sale all the time on there.