Menu

ASD kids and their schedules

Hwin

Last year and the year before, I had every intention of schooling year round, not rigorously by any means, but just to keep up the weekly schedule. Both summers, it felt apart, and instead he played his DS unless kicked outside to dig in the dirt. ;P It seriously can take him months to get into a routine, though. He can't be the only one. Do you find it helps to keep up a routine, do modify it for the summer? I need ideas that I can actually implement...

We struggle with routines here too. I'm at the point where I'm considering doing "school lite" on weekends, just so that we don't have to go through the battle on Monday morning when we try to get back to our schedule. Schooling year round is starting to look like a real possibility for us. I don't have any advice, but am all :bigear: for what others have to say on this topic.

The last two summers, I've used those "summer bridge" workbooks that have a half-page each of different subjects. it's enough " school to keep the routine established, but not so much to interfere with VBS, day camp, or going to the pool with friends.

The last two summers, I've used those "summer bridge" workbooks that have a half-page each of different subjects. it's enough " school to keep the routine established, but not so much to interfere with VBS, day camp, or going to the pool with friends.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing we need. I bet Staples will have that.

There is a lot going on in the summer, except when there isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

We do a taper off and a ramp up to get us through the transitions between summer and school. Really works for us. There are really only a few weeks where we aren't "doing school", but we still keep in the daily quiet time in our rooms, the same chore/meal schedule as possible. For example, no matter what is going on, unless it happens before 8:30 am. the morning routine is the same. Get up, get dressed, pick up room, breakfast, daily chore (check chore chart) then the rest of the day can be whatever we want. Then when it is time to start ramping back up, it is morning routine, then add a logic workbook page (or something easy, whatever) then after a week, add in a new task etc. Until we are back up to speed by the time I set my goal. The key for us is to slow down summer activities simultaneously while ramping up school. It takes a lot more deliberate planning, and we never go on vacation or plan anything for mornings once we have started the ramping back up. We still take afternoon trips to the pool or zoo or whatever, but once we start, it is stick to the schedule.

I'm sure I'll sound like a big meanie but we school every. single. day. Vacations, birthdays, summer, holidays, we may not do the full day, but a good portion of our routine gets done. My kids have a variety of needs. If we don't school daily we all lose our minds. They NEED it, thus, I need it.

I'm sure I'll sound like a big meanie but we school every. single. day. Vacations, birthdays, summer, holidays, we may not do the full day, but a good portion of our routine gets done. My kids have a variety of needs. If we don't school daily we all lose our minds. They NEED it, thus, I need it.

We are in a similar situation here. It took me years to finally realize that the mental health days I was scheduling so I could get some work done were causing more issues than they were worth. We have a winter schedule and a summer routine, but we always have to have a routine.

• 2 weeks later...

Because our schedule is different everyday, I keep a calendar for my dd with asd. We go over it frequently so she knows what is coming and what to expect. This is more functional than every day school. We make transition stories and she reads them frequently. I do very light summer school work m-f. We are talking 5 math problems and reading a chapter in a book. This is more for retention. She is higher functioning and 8 so other asd kids might need a more similar day to day structure. She ABSOLUTELY needs to know what is coming, though.