Menu

Kickboxing for exercise--what to do if you're a *true beginner*....

Julie in CA

I got a Kickbox Bootcamp exercise dvd from Netflix:

http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Solution-Kickbox-Bootcamp/dp/B000A3DGG2

I think that kickboxing exercise appeals to me right now in terms of fulfilling my need for fitness as well as helping me feel stronger, and yes, maybe slightly more aggressive than I am in real life, lol!

The problem is that I am both too out of shape and also too uncoordinated to learn the moves, even in the "teaching the newbie what to do" section of the video. It goes too fast, and I can't seem to be able to do a good job of pausing, rewinding, and replaying the dvd in order to learn each move.

Is there a better way for me to try and learn how to do this?

It looks fun, if I could just figure out how to become proficient enough to do more than the first 60 seconds before getting lost! :blush:

Well, I took a live class so I don't know if my advice will totally fit the video. What I did at first was to simply do what I could and if I couldn't do it, I walked in place. I did a lot of huffing and puffing while walking in place at first! The choreography will start to make sense after going through it a time or two and you will be able to do more and more moves.

Well, I took a live class so I don't know if my advice will totally fit the video. What I did at first was to simply do what I could and if I couldn't do it, I walked in place. I did a lot of huffing and puffing while walking in place at first! The choreography will start to make sense after going through it a time or two and you will be able to do more and more moves.

This

Try Leslie Sansone's "Walk and Kick" workout DVD. It's not true kickboxing, but it's a great way to get started without feeling like you're going to pass out dead on the floor.

Leslie is fun and motivating, and I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight and gotten back into shape by using her workouts. If you've never tried any of her workouts, her website is walkathome.com and I'm pretty sure there are free online workouts for you to try before you buy anything. But don't buy from her website -- you can get better prices at Amazon, Walmart, Target, and the wholesale clubs like BJ's, Sam's, and Costco.

Try Leslie Sansone's "Walk and Kick" workout DVD. It's not true kickboxing, but it's a great way to get started without feeling like you're going to pass out dead on the floor.

Leslie is fun and motivating, and I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight and gotten back into shape by using her workouts. If you've never tried any of her workouts, her website is walkathome.com and I'm pretty sure there are free online workouts for you to try before you buy anything. But don't buy from her website -- you can get better prices at Amazon, Walmart, Target, and the wholesale clubs like BJ's, Sam's, and Costco.

Thanks so much. I'll give this a try. I can (and do) walk for 4 miles at a time, and I'm not *completely* uncoordinated, but learning the moves to begin with is daunting. Maybe "Walk and Kick" would be better. {off to Amazon}

You are not alone... me trying to do Jillian's 30 Minute Shred Level 2 moves was hilarious. I had no idea I was so bad. :blushing:

I was supposed to be doing oblique twists, or some such thing, and my feet and arms kept ending up pointing in the same direction. It was awful! Thankfully, I do it when no one else is around. :laugh:

Anyway, just go really slow and pause/rewind the dvd if necessary. I know that I don't get as good a workout the first 3-4 days as I try to figure out the moves. I just do extra on the ones I don't mess up. And, if you have the time, look at it when you're not working out to get used to it.

Another option might be the beginner kick boxing ones on www.sparkpeople.com I have tried other beginner ones and they were very doable.

I have to laugh at the descriptions of my fellow uncoordinated exercisers. My friend and I have tried a few pilate ones and we not call them our PIE-LATES.....AKA the beached whale look.