Menu

Suggestions for a Latin curriculum for 10yo?

Kipling

I am looking for a Latin curriculum for my dd who with be 10/fifth grade next year.

Background: We started with the Latin program from CAP and hated it (too intense, too fast). We are working our way through Getting Started with Latin and we love it. She is learning vocabulary, can do the translations easily, and has been introduced to the different noun cases.

Goal: Our current plan is to continue with Latin through elementary school and then change to a modern language in 6th grade. She is learning Latin as a way to introduce learning a foreign language and to build a Latin-based vocabulary to help with vocabulary comprehension in English and future language studies.

So, I would like a Latin program to use for a year that will help build her vocabulary (not interested in learning super complex grammar concepts)

Any suggestions? TIA

If you are mainly interested in vocabulary enrichment and not grammar then you might be better off with something like a Latin based vocabulary program. I know that MCT has one, but I can't remember the name.

Latin instruction has grammar. It is difficult to put together a sentence in Latin without a very firm grasp of grammar.

If you decide you are interested in Latin instruction then I can also recommend Lively Latin. At 10 years old, that is a great age to start that program. It took us a couple years to get through the first book. They ain't kidding when they call it The Big Book of Lively Latin.

If you only want to build vocab and aren't interested in the grammar aspect you might want to look at Memoria Press. They have one book with just Latin roots vocab and another with Latin and Greek.

If you choose just a root based vocab program she is going to be able to learn far more vocab than if you use a Latin language program.

Oopps, just saw that she is in 5th...if the two above are too advanced you can do a search here for Latin based vocab and finds tons of options.

If you want a Latin program that isn't going to be too heavy on the grammar but includes vocab and translation you might look at Visual Latin.

Thanks everyone. I will look at Visual Latin, Lively Latin, and Latin Prep 1. We definitely want her to learn Latin - not just a Latin roots vocab program. However, becuase we don't intend for her to study Latin long enough to become "fluent," I didn't want a program that would bog her down in complex grammar rules at the expense of vocabulary. A balance of both (with a heavier focus on vocab) is what we are looking for.

Thanks everyone. I will look at Visual Latin, Lively Latin, and Latin Prep 1. We definitely want her to learn Latin - not just a Latin roots vocab program. However, becuase we don't intend for her to study Latin long enough to become "fluent," I didn't want a program that would bog her down in complex grammar rules at the expense of vocabulary. A balance of both (with a heavier focus on vocab) is what we are looking for.

I suspect that Latin Prep is not what you are looking for. I would call it heavier on the grammar than on the vocab.

Laura

Latin Book One by Scott and Horn. It's an OOP book but the entire text and answer key is available free on the Yahoo group.

Tara

Are you using this? Is it an old high school Latin text or was it a text designed for younger children? If you have used any other Latin programs can you compare this to them?

Thanks!

I'm not sure whether it was originally made for high schoolers or middle schoolers, but it can certainly be used for kids 10 and up. It takes a "grammar through reading" approach, which I personally appreciate, but the grammar is more explicit than something like Cambridge. For most lessons you read a passage using a keyed vocabulary, answer comprehension questions, study the grammar point, and do translations. You also memorize vocabulary. It is pretty much exactly what I wanted in a Latin curriculum. My dad used something in middle school called Latin for Americans, which is pretty much the exact same format. He looked at several of the Latin curricula I was considering and felt that the grammar-heavy, as opposed to the more balanced approaches, were less effective in teaching reading skills.

Tara

I'm not sure whether it was originally made for high schoolers or middle schoolers, but it can certainly be used for kids 10 and up. It takes a "grammar through reading" approach, which I personally appreciate, but the grammar is more explicit than something like Cambridge. For most lessons you read a passage using a keyed vocabulary, answer comprehension questions, study the grammar point, and do translations. You also memorize vocabulary. It is pretty much exactly what I wanted in a Latin curriculum. My dad used something in middle school called Latin for Americans, which is pretty much the exact same format. He looked at several of the Latin curricula I was considering and felt that the grammar-heavy, as opposed to the more balanced approaches, were less effective in teaching reading skills.

Tara

Can this be used with a 10 year old who has not any latin yet? This is the approach that I think would work best for ds but we have not studied Latin at all.

Yes, I think it could be. It is an introductory Latin text. I think it would be helpful to have a good grammar background.

Well, I tried to attach the first lesson, but it won't let me. Let me see whether I can just do a cut-and-paste.

Tara

Well, it's a lot prettier in the PDF file, but here is the text of the first lesson.

LESSON 1

READING

Britannia est Ä«nsula. Hibernia est Ä«nsula. Ītalia nÅn est Ä«nsula. EurÅpa nÅn est Ä«nsula.

Britannia nÅn est parva Ä«nsula. Hibernia nÅn est parva Ä«nsula.

VOCABULARY

Britan'nia, Britain Ä«n'sula, island

est, is Īta'lia, Italy

EurÅ'pa, Europe nÅn, not

Hiber'nia, Ireland par'va, small, little

Notes on Pronunciation. Most of the letters in the words above are pronounced like the corresponding English letters. 1. Notice that Ä« in Ä«nsula and Å in nÅn and EurÅpa each have a long mark. Long i (Ä«) is pronounced like i in machine. Long o (Å) has a sound like English long o, as in hole. 2. Short a (that is, a without a long mark) has the sound of the first a in English aha. 3. Latin v is pronounced like English w.

GRAMMAR

NOUNS

The names of persons, places, or things are nouns. Thus the words boy, city, Italy, house are nouns. The names of qualities or ideas are also nouns; for example, bravery, truth.

You have had the following Latin nouns: Britannia, EurÅpa, Hibernia, Ä«nsula, Ītalia.

THE SUBJECT

The noun about which we assert or ask something is called the subject of the sentence.

EurÅpa nÅn est parva, Europe is not small.

In this sentence we assert something about EurÅpa. Therefore EurÅpa is the subject of the sentence.

VERB

A verb is a word used to tell what the subject does or what is done to the subject.

The boy walks. The boy is called.

In the first sentence walks tells what the boy does. In the second sentence is called tells what is done to the boy.

Some verbs do not show any action, but merely show existence, or continuance in a place. In the following sentences is and shall stay are verbs of this kind.

He is in the city. We shall stay here.

The Latin verb est is of this kind.

Hibernia est Ä«nsula, Ireland is an island.

ADJECTIVES

We often use some other word with a noun to describe the person or thing.

Īnsula est parva, The island is small.

In this sentence parva describes Ä«nsula. Such a word is called an adjective.

EXERCISES

A. ORAL PRACTICE:

Read aloud the Latin words in the Vocabulary in this lesson. Practice pronouncing these words until you can read them easily.

B. ENGLISH DERIVATIVES:

1. In the vocabulary of this lesson, there are some examples of Latin words which have familiar English derivatives or related words. Some of these are: Britannia, Britannic; Hibernia, Hibernian; Ä«nsula, insular, insulation; nÅn, non-conductor, non-interference.

2. Give some derivatives from EurÅpa and Ītalia.

C. VOCABULARY:

l. Translate the following: est, parva, nÅn, Hibernia.

2. Give the Latin equivalent of each of the following: Italy, Britain, island, Europe, small.

D. REVIEW AND DRILL:

Point out the nouns, verbs, and adjectives in the following. Tell which nouns are used as subjects.

1. The heavy storm had injured the tall trees.

2. Father has read the book.

3. The horses draw a heavy load.

4. Uncle John built a new house.

5. Where was the money found?

6. The picture has often been admired.

7. Why did the men leave home?

8. Columbus discovered a new continent.

9. The books contain interesting stories.

STUDY HELPS

Since there is little time in your class period for individual practice in pronunciation, be sure to read aloud as you study each day's lesson. Pay close attention to your teacher's pronunciation and imitate it carefully.

I suspect that Latin Prep is not what you are looking for. I would call it heavier on the grammar than on the vocab.

Laura

It is heavier on the grammar, but it also has a lot more vocab right from the start than Latina Christiana (that program was an utter fail with us). Latin Prep is a hefty program, but something about it makes it seem lighter. My ds started in 5th grade and he loves it. He laughs at the characters and their conversations.

Well, it's a lot prettier in the PDF file, but here is the text of the first lesson.

LESSON 1

READING

Britannia est Ä«nsula. Hibernia est Ä«nsula. Ītalia nÅn est Ä«nsula. EurÅpa nÅn est Ä«nsula.

VOCABULARY

est, is Īta'lia, Italy

EurÅ'pa, Europe nÅn, not

Notes on Pronunciation. Most of the letters in the words above are pronounced like the corresponding English letters. 1. Notice that Ä« in Ä«nsula and Å in nÅn and EurÅpa each have a long mark. Long i (Ä«) is pronounced like i in machine. Long o (Å) has a sound like English long o, as in hole. 2. Short a (that is, a without a long mark) has the sound of the first a in English aha. 3. Latin v is pronounced like English w.

GRAMMAR

NOUNS

The names of persons, places, or things are nouns. Thus the words boy, city, Italy, house are nouns. The names of qualities or ideas are also nouns; for example, bravery, truth.

You have had the following Latin nouns: Britannia, EurÅpa, Hibernia, Ä«nsula, Ītalia.

THE SUBJECT

The noun about which we assert or ask something is called the subject of the sentence.

In this sentence we assert something about EurÅpa. Therefore EurÅpa is the subject of the sentence.

VERB

A verb is a word used to tell what the subject does or what is done to the subject.

In the first sentence walks tells what the boy does. In the second sentence is called tells what is done to the boy.

Some verbs do not show any action, but merely show existence, or continuance in a place. In the following sentences is and shall stay are verbs of this kind.

ADJECTIVES

EXERCISES

A. ORAL PRACTICE:

Read aloud the Latin words in the Vocabulary in this lesson. Practice pronouncing these words until you can read them easily.

B. ENGLISH DERIVATIVES:

1. In the vocabulary of this lesson, there are some examples of Latin words which have familiar English derivatives or related words. Some of these are: Britannia, Britannic; Hibernia, Hibernian; Ä«nsula, insular, insulation; nÅn, non-conductor, non-interference.

C. VOCABULARY:

2. Give the Latin equivalent of each of the following: Italy, Britain, island, Europe, small.

D. REVIEW AND DRILL:

Point out the nouns, verbs, and adjectives in the following. Tell which nouns are used as subjects.

STUDY HELPS

Since there is little time in your class period for individual practice in pronunciation, be sure to read aloud as you study each day's lesson. Pay close attention to your teacher's pronunciation and imitate it carefully.

Oh thank you Tara this is so helpful. I have been looking for a Latin curriculum for next year and really floundering, this looks great. Thanks for taking the time to type it out!

LESSON 1

READING

VOCABULARY

est, is Īta'lia, Italy

EurÅ'pa, Europe nÅn, not

GRAMMAR

NOUNS

THE SUBJECT

VERB

ADJECTIVES

EXERCISES

A. ORAL PRACTICE:

B. ENGLISH DERIVATIVES:

C. VOCABULARY:

D. REVIEW AND DRILL:

STUDY HELPS

Hi, I'm new here so browsing as much as I can

This looks just like something we could do, I've struggled when I've looked at other Latin curricula (not having a background in Latin myself) Reading through the above I was able to do it, If I can do it, then I can help teach it.

Could you tell me the name of the yahoo group that uses it, since I'm from the UK, I think it will be nigh on impossible to source with them being 'old books'. Off to google to see if I can find out more.

Thanks in advance

CJ