Menu

Where do homeschoolers take AP, SAT, and CLEP exams?

For the SAT, you sign up online with the College board; they will have a list of testing locations in your area. Usually it's given at schools.

For AP, sign up directly with the school. Call the schools in your area and ask.

CLEP is not given at local schools; you local college may have a testing center. Those typically do not give AP and SAT tests.

ETA: I'd imagine that the disruptive students would not be the ones taking the SAT. My DD took multiple tests at the local ps without any problems.

The SAT can only be taken at CollegeBoard test sites, which in my area is only the public schools. You can find our what the testing sites are in your area at collegeboard.com.

CLEP tests are taken at college testing centers. Again, you find out your local testing sites at the CollegeBoard website.

My son took AP tests at our local public school. Private schools can offer AP tests. You have to call around to find out if a school is offering the test your child wants to take.

To my knowledge, learning centers do not (probably cannot) offer any of these tests.

Blessings,

Cheryl

The SAT can only be taken at CollegeBoard test sites, which in my area is only the public schools. You can find our what the testing sites are in your area at collegeboard.com.

CLEP tests are taken at college testing centers. Again, you find out your local testing sites at the CollegeBoard website.

My son took AP tests at our local public school. Private schools can offer AP tests. You have to call around to find out if a school is offering the test your child wants to take.

To my knowledge, learning centers do not (probably cannot) offer any of these tests.

Blessings,

Cheryl

So if your child wants to take an AP that is not offered at the lcoal site, you have to call around to find another testing center that offers the desired AP exam?

When you register for the AP exams you do so directly with the testing site and they can charge you both the standard AP fee and a surcharge for administration costs. I haven't seen APs offered anywhere but at schools-some private and some public-call around and see who has the test you want and would welcome another student.

So if your child wants to take an AP that is not offered at the lcoal site, you have to call around to find another testing center that offers the desired AP exam?

Yes, unless they are willing to supply a proctor for the test you need and order that test. Also be sure you check the AP website for the dates. Each AP subject is given a specific date and time to test.

Here is a helpful sortable ledger that will quickly direct you to schools in your area that have teachers who have complied with the AP Audit process (they can teach an AP class and call it "AP"). That usually means the class is taught at the school and that an AP exam will be administered in May (but not always). When you call local schools, ask for the "AP Coordinator." That will be the individual you will to talk to, to inquire if your student will be permitted to test there.

Schools vary in their cut off dates. I recommend beginning the inquiry process in January, to be safe. You may be asked to call back, but at least you will have a target date and not miss a deadline. We have found private schools to be friendly and organized. But my dc tested in public and charter schools too--your mileage may vary! :001_smile: