Menu

Help! I'm spineless and I'm trying to quit the gym!

It's just like the Friend's episode because I called to ask the membership lady how much longer I am committed to the gym and she acted like she had NO idea and I'd need to talk to the head guy...so now "head guy" is calling me back. Aaaahhhh! It's so expensive and I'm never going right now. Pray that I will, indeed, quit the gym and not end up signing up for 12 yoga classes instead. ;)

Good luck with the head guy! You could do what I did and cancel the credit card that it's charged to! I had finished my committment and they were really pushing me to keep it, so I got a new card. Talk about spineless!

It may come to that...

It's just like the Friend's episode because I called to ask the membership lady how much longer I am committed to the gym and she acted like she had NO idea and I'd need to talk to the head guy...so now "head guy" is calling me back. Aaaahhhh! It's so expensive and I'm never going right now. Pray that I will, indeed, quit the gym and not end up signing up for 12 yoga classes instead. ;)

I think you should call them on their rude behavior. Tell them you can't afford it- keeping your membership would be damaging to the financial health of your family. When they try to "overcome you objection" by explaining that you can't afford not to go to their gym because you won't be fit anymore, blah blah blah, tell you have other ways to stay fit at home that are free, and this is not open to discussion. Keep repeating, this is not open to discussion. If they keep trying, mention the better business bureau, you will tell your cc to not accept their charges, whatever you need to do. These people need to realize their behavior is not acceptable!

I worked at one of these places when I was fresh out of college. It was horrible. I got reprimanded for not making more of an effort to sign up the welfare mom who "won" a free two weeks of membership. We had to follow people around the workout area trying to get them to recruit their friends. Ick.

Go postal on them.

"What do you mean I won't be in shape?? Do you realize what I have to do??? I have dishes to wash, children to feed, floors to swab! The dog needs a four mile walk everyday! I'm spending so much time here that I've gained weight! And do you think I'm made of money??? What is the matter with you people??"

LOL- my spineless solution is to send them a letter. Once they have your cancellation in writing, they have to cancel your account.

At least that's how it worked the two times I had to cancel gym memberships. :tongue_smilie:

Do they have a website? If so, you can probably see their cancellation policy there...

I've gotten really good at this in the last year or two. I just keep repeating, "It's not in my budget" over and over until they get the message. I know it's icky, but what can they really do to you? :grouphug: