Menu

Xpost ~ laptop for high schooler. Mac or Other?

We have only had a regular pc and am wanting to invest in a laptop, that I would use for tutorial classes in the day, and he would use for schoolwork at night (since our pc is usually tied up and he has more and more typed papers required).

He wants a Mac. We are clueless about Macs except for these two things:

A Mac has more creative applications

Have "heard" that Mac is a little fussier since not all software and applications are not as Mac compatible.

Help please ~ tax free days are this Friday to Sunday, and we want to get one this weekend. (or maybe buy refurbished)

Oh...LOL I didn't know you wanted a because. The only good reasons I have are that I've tried working on Macs when my grandparent and cousin bring them over and UGH. They are a pain. They are the only two people I know with Macs and have the most problems with their pc's and laptops than everyone I know. I am sure people out their love their Mac everything. I am just not one of those people. I like the ability to buy parts, programs, etc and change them out when I want or need also hook up with others easily because of the compatibility.

Dh a physician who also happens to be the IT director for our medical school does not recommend Mac but *I* can't tell you why. (I'm too computer illiterate to try to remember his rationale!). We typically go with Dell (though I'm typing from a Toshiba that we got a good deal on for 15yo dd at the start of last school year).

Dh a physician who also happens to be the IT director for our medical school does not recommend Mac but *I* can't tell you why. (I'm too computer illiterate to try to remember his rationale!). We typically go with Dell (though I'm typing from a Toshiba that we got a good deal on for 15yo dd at the start of last school year).

Here is his response:

"I would not be opposed to getting a MAC. (However) Macs are not free of viruses. They don’t play well in a networked predominantly PC environment; however, for stand alone use as a home computer they are great and they are much better for video and graphics programs. I don’t have a lot of expertise with them. There are compatibility issues with software as well."

FWIW. :)

:iagree: She has said it best!

I'm well versed in both platforms and can't say enough good things about Macs. They are very user friendly and have a much longer life than the average pc. I ran a small business that used predominately Macs and we had great success for several years with them. I had a G3 that was a real workhorse for me. I've known people to go through 2-3 pc's during the same number of years that I used my trusty ol' Mac. Also, we have a home network with 2 pc's and a Mac and there is no issue at all for us. We enjoy both platforms, but the Mac is a real favorite in our family.

I'm using a really nice pc right now in our home office, but we will be getting a Mac laptop before long to add to the network and this will become dd's homeschool computer. One of the pc's is about to give up the ghost.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Sorry, I had to respond because you are perpetuating myths. ;) There is a learning curve with any new operating system. When you upgraded to Vista did you expect to know how to do everything? No, you expect a learning curve. Just because you struggle with someone's unfamiliar operating system doesn't man there is anything wrong with it, you simply don't know how to use it. The Mac OS is actually one of the most tested and intuitive interfaces out there, much more so than any Windows OS or application. My dh is an interface designer and he is picky.

One of the great things is that if something works one way in a Mac program that is the way it works for other Mac programs too, so there ends up being less to learn.

You can buy parts and programs for Macs, just like you can for a PC. Back when he was a kid (20- 24) dh was an Apple certified Tech and ran phone support for the Apple internet connect team when the internet first came into mainstream use. He changed out memory and loaded new programs for many a client back in those days. Oh ya, you can use a two button mouse with a Mac, They have always had the capability. You just buy whatever mouse you want and change the settings. It's pretty simple.

Enjoy your PC. :D

I had no idea I was perpetuating myths. :confused: My comments are my opinions. I actually know quite a bit about both, I just prefer PC overall.

We have only had a regular pc and am wanting to invest in a laptop, that I would use for tutorial classes in the day, and he would use for schoolwork at night (since our pc is usually tied up and he has more and more typed papers required).

He wants a Mac. We are clueless about Macs except for these two things:

A Mac has more creative applications

Have "heard" that Mac is a little fussier since not all software and applications are not as Mac compatible.

Help please ~ tax free days are this Friday to Sunday, and we want to get one this weekend. (or maybe buy refurbished)

Mac is SO MUCH BETTER than the traditional PC. SO MUCH BETTER! :)

We bought our first three months ago, yet still have five others. Nobody desires using the Microsoft-based computers as it's much easier and more intuitive to use a Mac. (I'm not a techie and even I love the Mac!)

We'll never buy anything else.

I agree w/Cadam. I've used Macs and pcs for many years, and for my own personal use I prefer a mac. Now, dh prefers his pc, but he's never used a mac. I do know he spends much more time 'fixing' problems on his pc than I do on my mac.

about a year ago. I love it. Then 2 weeks ago I bought a macbook. I really love it. It is so amazing. I did buy at book that tells me all about OS x 10.5 Leopard-I think thats it. I like it a lot. I still have our pc, but never use it anymore. I can't anymore than that. I just had to tell you that I love my mac.

We do love our Macs incredibly! We have a MacBook Pro laptop and we also have a G5.

What kind of programs will your son be using?

Do you mind paying the kind of money that a Mac costs?

If you are just wanting it for word documents or something, you could go with a PC.

I just love that to our family Macs are just hands down a heck of a lot more stable than PC's. I love that I don't have to reboot after every.single.thing that we change.

:iagree:

What she said.

My husband has been in IT support for years and was very pro-PC. Then a few years ago he started working for a company that had both and while the headaches getting the proprietary software on the PCs at the stores to talk to the Macs at the HQ were enough to drive him batty, he was a full convert before he left the company. We have two Macs in the house now and he has an Apple laptop for his new job. I don't think he'd go back to a PC for anything. (I work for IBM so I have a ThinkPad laptop.)

I agree it takes awhile to get used to the Mac. He's used to hearing my rants while trying to figure out how to do something that's pretty different (or even just slightly different) from the PC I spend 9 hours a day working on.

But of our friends who call on him for computer problems, the ones he's converted to Mac don't call for help anymore. Things work well, and the Apple Store gurus handle any questions that come up.

</div>

I simply love the Mac. You could not pay me to trade for Vista or XP, from the hardware to the OS there is simply no comparison IMO.

If you make the switch you will never go back!

Bill

:iagree::iagree::iagree: We have four macs - never had a virus - can't say enough good things about 'em.