Menu

What's your favorite home management/time management/organization book?

I'm in a mood—I'm hoping to nail down some better routines before we start back up in September—and I'm looking for some reading material. Give me some recommendations! I've read the Confessions books (my first Paperbackswap and Bookmooch acquisitions :lol:) and loved them both. What did you get the most out of?

TIA!

SC.GIF&client=CelipHome comforts : the art and science of keeping house / Cheryl Mendelson.

This was one book I found to be interestingly helpful. It was the attitude with which the author approached housework that really stood out to me and has remained in my mind as a good example. She saw it not as dreadful work to be avoided or endured, but as routines that make your home a comforting place to live and allow you to relax and enjoy your home. I think I'll check it out of the library again. I read it when we lived at our last house, which was much larger and easier to keep tidy. I need to remember again how to organize myself and my home for comfort and serenity.

My favs are the Managers of Their Homes and Managers of Their Chores books by Teri Maxwell at http://www.titus2.com . I loved how she could see things from my pov, not having been taught to do all these things from childhood. She also includes schedule samples from other moms for both school and chores. I also loved the chores book because it gave me ideas about age-appropriate chores. fyi, (cc)

Without a doubt, it's Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-free Productivity by David Allen, usually referred to as GTD. And I've read pretty much every time management book out there. We have the GTD book and DH listens to the CDs in the car. There are lots of podcasts, websites, forums, and Outlook add-ins out there for this sytem, but it's dead-easy to implement.

Janet

Without a doubt, it's Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-free Productivity by David Allen, usually referred to as GTD. And I've read pretty much every time management book out there. We have the GTD book and DH listens to the CDs in the car. There are lots of podcasts, websites, forums, and Outlook add-ins out there for this sytem, but it's dead-easy to implement.

Janet

How funny, I actually just added this to my library list based on a post on another board! I've heard great things about it--should be here in a few days.

I added the others to my list as well, with the exception of MOTH. I'm really dying to read the Maxwell books, but will have to wait until I have the funds to get one on the Sale & Swap board here. In the meantime, I'll keep myself busy with the others :lol:

Thank you all!

Hannah's Art of Home there was some stuff in there I disagreed with, but overall, it has been so incredibly helpful for a right-brained person like myself. - from one of the reviews on amazon - "This book looks at homemaking with new eyes. Rather than approaching it as a chore, Hannah Keeley uses her background in Psychology and her love of homemaking to inspire and organize the daily household routines to compliment your personality. She focuses on how your personality affects your home environment and takes homemaking to a realistic, fun, and energetic place. Take a moment to determine your homemaking personality and see how to find time to enjoy the rest of your life."

that's really how it is, and it's just a nice way of looking at your home, instead of following some anal-organizers list, LOL.

How funny, I actually just added this to my library list based on a post on another board! I've heard great things about it--should be here in a few days.

I added the others to my list as well, with the exception of MOTH. I'm really dying to read the Maxwell books, but will have to wait until I have the funds to get one on the Sale & Swap board here. In the meantime, I'll keep myself busy with the others :lol:

Thank you all!

If you'd like, I'd be happy to loan them to you...pm me if you're interested!