Menu

Do you get fluoride on your childrens teeth when they go to the dentist?

I do. I really trust our pediatric dentist. I used to work for her. She's health/safety concious and recommends fluoride, but would never make me feel badly if I chose otherwise. It's one of those situations where I trust that she knows the details and I don't have to do my own research.

Maybe if you're questioning it, just do it every other visit?

Chelle

it makes all of our stomaches hurt. Also, we don't do them because we have a thyroid history on both sides of our families. Fluoride and thyroid don't mix well. There's info. on the internet if you want to research it. Our dental hygenist doesn't give us a hard time about it.

HTH!

I've been debating it and have been trying to learn more.

However, the link to the thyroid is one I hadn't heard yet. I'll have to do more digging. That would be enough for me to say, "No more!" There is quite a history with thyroid issues in the women on my side of the family, myself included.

My Dad researched it years ago and he said not to, so we didn't . My dentist never liked to hear that..he would have liked to take my Dad on!

Interesting, we live outside of Grand Rapids, MI supposedly the first town in the US to put Floride in the drinking water. I am transplant from Minnesota, so I know very little about the history of it all. But also interesting, Grand Rapids is now researchign taking it out of the drinking water!

We are not going to do it anymore after doing our research. Our kids, as far as we know have great teeth with good enamel, no cavities for me in 40years and so far they do not either and they don't always remember to brush their teeth vs dh who has a mouth full of cavities,

I don't feel it's necessary. Our dentist does not like that we don't get the flouride treatments and tells us every time it is a 'preventable' treatment. Our insurance will not pay for it either. If I begin to see that we should I will just buy it from the store and do it at home, it's much cheaper.

Good brushing and a good diet is all you need.

We do not do soda.

I just want to clarify that good brushing and a good diet may be all you need if you start off with 'good' teeth, but many dental issues are genetic and all the flossing in the world is not enough. A person can be born with weak enamel, deep grooves in the teeth, etc.

Dental problems can lead to, or complicate, other health issues, so flouride can be a sensible choice for some people. I do agree that it's not needed in every case.

And soda? yes, sooooo bad for your teeth!

We have slowly progressed over the years to being totally fluoride free. When my oldest was little, we even did the fluoride tablets because we had well water and thought we needed it! After much research and thought, I switched us to fluoride-free toothpaste, then asked that the fluoride treatment at the dentist be stopped.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but when my dd was younger, she would always have a lapse of poor behavior after going to the dentist. It was like clockwork. Flouride is a neurotoxin and you can absorb quite a bit(of anything) through gums and mucosa. Ever since switching no fluoride treatments, we haven't had that issue. coincidence? I don't know, but I'm not going back to it. The hygenist is supportive of our decision and likes to talk about 'alternative' toothpastes that we use. The dentist doesn't say much (I think he is biting his tongue), but if he ever confronts or argues with me, it will be adios.

I just want to clarify that good brushing and a good diet may be all you need if you start off with 'good' teeth, but many dental issues are genetic and all the flossing in the world is not enough. A person can be born with weak enamel, deep grooves in the teeth, etc.

Dental problems can lead to, or complicate, other health issues, so flouride can be a sensible choice for some people. I do agree that it's not needed in every case.

And soda? yes, sooooo bad for your teeth!

http://www.westonaprice.org/index.html Weston Price was a dentist that looked at how the modern western diet affected the health of teeth.

For those of you interested, there is a fantastic book on the subject.

Full of research and the history of floride in our water, etc.

The Flouride Deception by Christopher Bryson

We get the treatments, but only go once a yr.

We use Jasons flouride free toothpaste and the boys use Toms flouride free toothpaste.

If you're having doubts, hold off on the treatments, research it, then decide~

Dawanna

I use this site all the time. I'm a Sally Fallon fan although we don't soak our grains or do the fermenting stuff. lol We do follow a whole foods diet. I have the NT book right here in front of me. :D

I soak our oat meal since it is the easiest one to do and doesn't taste like it is fermented. Before I go to bed, I place all the ingredients in a pot on the stove. I use the yogurt method. I just have to turn it on in the morning and it is done in no time.

I have fermented cucumbers as well as cabbage. I do not do it often and I only use sea salt. My family and I do not care for the taste of whey.

Anti-fluoride info --

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/fluoride.htm

Maybe this website is too "far out", but what do you think of it?

Suzanne

:001_smile:

Yeah, I would say that's too far out. For me, anyway. If the conspiracy theory people are against fluoride, I would have to say I'm for it. From the page you linked, one click got me to this page. (I clicked on "The Secret Covenant" under the quote on the top of the original link.)

We tried the fluoride treatments at the dentist, but they are so overwhelming that the dc do swallow, and the other option of the paint-on kind certainly gets swallowed. No more fluoride treatments, and the dentist and hygienists don't care.

I just took my older three guys to the dentist for the first time in four years. The handful of times they've gone, I've declined the fluoride treatments. They use toothpaste w/o fluoride, and drink well water, so no fluroide there, either. Thus far, they all have great teeth. Anecdotal, I realize, but that's my experience.

Yes, thank you! My kids have a good diet, they eat exactly the same things. One has teeth like his dad and no problems, the other has deep, deep grooves that the dentist can't clean even with the little metal pic thing... just like me. He has had cavities, the other kid hasn't. Same diet, same brushing, since his dad and I do it, just different teeth.