Menu

How many minutes a day do you plan for math at 1st grade and 3rd grade?

KIN

I'm trying something different this year with our subjects. Instead of doing one math lesson each day (we use RightStart the lessons can be quite lengthy) I'm planning to set a time limit and then move to the next subject.

I'm trying to decide on an approximate time frame for my 1st and 3rd grade boys. Does your time include any other math the child may do? My boys will do Singapore's CWP and some practice sheets on their own in addition to my one on one teaching. I'm currently thinking 30 minutes for both boys, or maybe 30 minutes for the 1st grader and 40 minutes for the 3rd grader.

I plan on 15 minutes of teaching time and 20-30 minutes of independent work. I have 30 minutes slotted for math but I know that it could go faster or slower depending on the concepts and my child. We aim for shorter lessons but the crux behind that is to keep the lesson short to maximize the child's attention and productivity, if she is being productive then I don't mind going past 30 minutes, if she's not then I move on and we go back later.

Another difference is that I sit with my 2nd turning into 3rd grader while she's doing her independent work and aid her when she needs it. I can't always do this but when I do the work goes much faster and she enjoys it more. I suggest just trying it and adjusting where you feel you need to. :) I think what you've proposed sounds very reasonable.

I don't plan it out, but our lessons commonly last 30min. for a 1st grader and 45-60 for my rising 3rd grader.

When the lessons go last more than 45 minutes, it's bec. we're doing extra lessons or enjoying the supplement books.

My ds has only begun to do small amounts of independent math work.

I think it's a good idea to plan by time. I'd like to try that, too.

Good luck!

I am scheduling 30 minutes 4 times a week for math with my dd, who is currently taking a one month summer break from Singapore 1A. That's enough time to review a concept or learn a new one and do one workbook page, at least most days. One other day will be for sneaking in a review worksheet while we're running around to homeschool playgroup or dance class. We also chant skip counting during our daily walks and practice telling time and counting money as the opportunity arises, but I don't factor that in formally.

About half an hour for 1st, 45 minutes for 3rd. Each is 5 days a week. All maths is included in that time.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm right on track it looks like. I think I'm going to plan 30 minutes of total time for my 1st grader and 40 for my 3rd grader.

And, Laura, didn't I see you were moving? Like today??? Hope it goes well!!

Right Start recommends with the younger ones only do about 15 minutes per day - even if not thru with the lesson. Once they are in 3rd grade, increase times to 30 minutes per day.

Really? Is there a place on the website that says this? I ask b/c I read this today on the RightStart yahoo group:

There is no reason you need to

finish a lesson a day. I was recommended to limit our lesson time to 30

minutes a day in level B, 40 minutes in level C, 50 in level D, and 60 in

level E. Spend that amount of time each school day, and play games at least

3 times a week.

My 3rd grader will be in D, but I really don't think 50 minutes is needed!

And, Laura, didn't I see you were moving? Like today??? Hope it goes well!!

Thanks for the good wishes. BA only allows me to check in on line 24 hours in advance, which is in seven minutes. I just have to get those good seats....

ETA: got the good seats. Moved up from row 45 purgatory, where we had been placed for the long haul, to near the front of economy. Also got window seats for the short-haul flight from London to Scotland. One has to have a window for landing in a new country.

Laura

Mine are not yours age but this is what I do. Rather than put a time limit or stretch a lesson we just do 1 lesson a day or if it was hard you could plan to do 1/2 a lesson a day. Generally my son spends about 30 mins or so on math, his motivation is to get the lesson done correctly as fast as possible. If it took him 15 mins then I would still move on to the next subject as long as he is doing the work correctly. Make sense?

I initially broke down my math into two or three separate time periods. At one period we might be doing explorations with games, tangrams, measuring, etc. At another we might be working with money by playing store or making word problems. The bookwork and worksheet might be done separately.

For my 1st grader that takes 10-15 minutes, for my 3rd grader that takes 20-25.

This sounds great to me. I would schedule about 30 minutes at the most for your 3rd grader and a max of 20 for the 1st grader. It depends a little on how much of it is tedious to the child and how much is hands on and more interesting and enjoyable.

Eva

30 min 6x/wk for my 1st grader (3rd dc) this coming year

This is the lesson (teaching the lesson, using manipulatives, etc.) and some drill (we drill during our morning meeting, too.) He will have some "homework" to do, also.

Thrid grade is a big year in math. I would plan longer for the third grader.