Menu

Who has bought eyeglasses online and from whom?

I saw a lot of people have bought from 39dollarglasses.com--can you tell me if you've bought from them, or someone else, and what you thought? Also, if you don't mind, about how much you paid?

Thanks so much!

Even though he could get a free pair every couple of years through the VA, he opts to buy from 39dollarglasses.com. The customer service has been good, shipping is quick, and frame selections are nice.

We're a little disorganized (ie. can't ever find things) so he usually buys two pairs at a time. He likes the various dips and such, but even with all his extra do-dads, he doesn't spend much. It comes in well under $100 for two pairs, with the glare-dip (I don't know the name, sorry - he usually orders after I've given up the computer and gone to bed), scratch-resistance, and shipping.

I think once the IPD wasn't quite right, but he was able to get them adjusted somewhere. That's the only problem he's had, and he's been ordering from them for years.

HTH,

Dy

Ds has ordered from Zennioptical.com and paid $25. The glasses are great. I'm getting ready to order from them myself.

I also know Mom2abcd has ordered from them with success, too.

Yep! I've worn my Zennioptical glasses for two years now and they're in great shape. I have a new pair on their way to me only because (GASP!) I need bi-focals/progressive lenses. The best price I could find was $357 at Sam's Club and the progressives from Zenni cost me under $70.

I actually bought two pair two years ago because they were so cheap and I was unsure how they would look. (I tried on glasses at the eye doctor's office and got an idea on what I wanted, but it is hard to find the same style/shape online. If I dared, I would have my dds take photos of me wearing the glasses so I could study it over and also compare the shape with those online.) The regular glasses cost $25 for each pair. When the eye doctor checked out the strength, etc. and compared it with my prescription, she said, "Whoever made these glasses did a great job!"

We used 39dollarglasses.com a few years ago for our son's glasses and they were fine, too. They're more expensive, though. We've done great with Zenni and I prefer them.

HTH.

I would love to buy them online. Though I take so long in choosing out frames. I have to go back to the store several, several times to get the ones I want. Trying them on is a pain. They are always to big I need ones that are almost kid size. I am not even happy with the ones I finally picked.

Perhaps I'm a nay-sayer, but how do you make sure these frames will suit you?

I went frame shopping just yesterday and I must have tried on every frame in the store. Finally, a pair that looked ok . . .

How do you make sure???

T

I haven't ruled online ordering completely in or out. I love the idea, and the cost savings, but I'm afraid I'll end up spending $30 on a pair I hate, kwim? Those of you who've had success, how did you know? Or are you just not that picky? ;)

bumping, because I really want to know how you decide upon frames when buying online.

Help me save $600 . . .

T

As I wear contacts 95% of the time, I don't think I am quite as picky on my eyewear as someone that would wear them all the time. I have frames that I like now so I will probably try and find something similar and use the sizes on my glasses to get a general idea how they will fit.

That is what I thought--some places have picks of faces of diff shapes--you look for your "shape" face, and see what it will look like. To save nearly $500 over what it will cost me in a store, I am willing to not like my glasses quite as much as I would have--hey, at least I will have new ones, instead of my 9 & 1/2 year old pair that I have now krazy glued in 5 places! I could not afford new ones otherwise! Plus, I have found 2 places that offer money back guarantee--one place gives an exchange if not happy, one place money back--

eyeglassdirect.com, and eyebuydirect.com. Their reviews are not as good as some, though. Zennioptical.com had one of the best. Look at glassyeyes.com for reviews and discounts.

We have ordered from Zenni for about 4 years, numerous pairs for all four of us, with dh order being the most complicated. His prescriptions were costing us anywhere from $375 to $450 depending on whether it was Sams, Costco or Sears. They cost us about $70 at Zenni.

The eyeglass shape and size is not that difficult, you just need to measure a pair of glasses that fit you and measure those in mm or just look on the inside of the frame and there will be two numbers (see info below) or whatever and then you would know that that length fit you. For more information on how to size glasses go here http://www.focusers.com/eyesize.html

That site also covers what shapes work for what face style.

You can use this site for information on pupillary distance http://www.eyeglass.com/infopages.html#NONAME34

How do I get the best frame fit for my new eyeglass frames?

Simply copy down the numbers from the frame you are wearing.

The size numbers usually look like this: 50/19 145

You will find the numbers on the inside of the temple arms or the back of the bridge between the lenses.

After you have selected a frame(s) and clicked the order button, you will find a space for your old frame numbers. If you would like your new frame to be smaller or bigger than your old one, write smaller or larger after the numbers.

That's it!

But, what do those numbers mean? The frame size is not your head size, like a hat or shoe size. The first number(e.g. 50) is the measurement of one lens in mm, the second(19) is the distance between the lenses, the third (145) is the temple arm length. The size numbers vary according to style and overall frame design. It is possible for you to have a frame that has a 52 lens size and another with a 48 and they both fit. These numbers are not precise, they are meant as a guide for an Optician.

So, please leave it to us, we actually like interpreting the numbers to make the right match. Most of our frames have new lighter adjustable materials, spring hinges, adjustable nose pads and bend-able temples, so they are simple for an Optician to adjust! In fact many frame companies now only manufacture in one or two sizes (unlike years ago when they came in 6 sizes and were built like artillery)

If the numbers are worn off, you can use a ruler to measure end to end,as shown below. Measure across the front of the frame from it's widest points - where the temples attach. A typical measurement is 5 inches (127mm) for a small frame, 5 3/4 inches (146mm) for a large frame. Enter this number in the "Old Frame" space on the order form.

Hopefully this helps explain it. :D

We have ordered from Zenni for about 4 years, numerous pairs for all four of us, with dh order being the most complicated. His prescriptions were costing us anywhere from $375 to $450 depending on whether it was Sams, Costco or Sears. They cost us about $70 at Zenni.

The eyeglass shape and size is not that difficult, you just need to measure a pair of glasses that fit you and measure those in mm or just look on the inside of the frame and there will be two numbers (see info below) or whatever and then you would know that that length fit you. For more information on how to size glasses go here http://www.focusers.com/eyesize.html

That site also covers what shapes work for what face style.

You can use this site for information on pupillary distance http://www.eyeglass.com/infopages.html#NONAME34

How do I get the best frame fit for my new eyeglass frames?

Simply copy down the numbers from the frame you are wearing.

The size numbers usually look like this: 50/19 145

You will find the numbers on the inside of the temple arms or the back of the bridge between the lenses.

After you have selected a frame(s) and clicked the order button, you will find a space for your old frame numbers. If you would like your new frame to be smaller or bigger than your old one, write smaller or larger after the numbers.

That's it!

But, what do those numbers mean? The frame size is not your head size, like a hat or shoe size. The first number(e.g. 50) is the measurement of one lens in mm, the second(19) is the distance between the lenses, the third (145) is the temple arm length. The size numbers vary according to style and overall frame design. It is possible for you to have a frame that has a 52 lens size and another with a 48 and they both fit. These numbers are not precise, they are meant as a guide for an Optician.

So, please leave it to us, we actually like interpreting the numbers to make the right match. Most of our frames have new lighter adjustable materials, spring hinges, adjustable nose pads and bend-able temples, so they are simple for an Optician to adjust! In fact many frame companies now only manufacture in one or two sizes (unlike years ago when they came in 6 sizes and were built like artillery)

If the numbers are worn off, you can use a ruler to measure end to end,as shown below. Measure across the front of the frame from it's widest points - where the temples attach. A typical measurement is 5 inches (127mm) for a small frame, 5 3/4 inches (146mm) for a large frame. Enter this number in the "Old Frame" space on the order form.

Hopefully this helps explain it. :D

This is saying that you can select a new frame style, type in your old frame style and note whether you'd like the new ones to be "bigger or smaller"? My old frames are sort of a cross between Harry Potter and John Lennon. I figure if I wait long enough, these little wire rims will be back in style! But, if I wanted something more contemporary -- plastic or rim-less frames, more of a square shape -- how on earth would my old frame dimensions help? I hope I'm not sounding snarky -- I don't mean to. I'm just so confundled by how this works. ;)

This is saying that you can select a new frame style, type in your old frame style and note whether you'd like the new ones to be "bigger or smaller"? My old frames are sort of a cross between Harry Potter and John Lennon. I figure if I wait long enough, these little wire rims will be back in style! But, if I wanted something more contemporary -- plastic or rim-less frames, more of a square shape -- how on earth would my old frame dimensions help? I hope I'm not sounding snarky -- I don't mean to. I'm just so confundled by how this works. ;)

I can see why you are confused :D I actually cut and pasted the one explanation from a different eye glass site than Zenni because their explanation of how the sizing was done was better.

The way your old frames would help would be the length from the tip of eyeglass to the ear length. The arm length of your glases, some are very short some are long, etc. Do the glasses you own rest comfortably on your ear? If so, then their Temple arm length would be the same length in a more contemporary style. Say yours is 140 mm (about 5 1/2 inches) and you want them longer, you would look for a frame with a temple arm length of 142 or so. I use this calculater to convert inches to mm http://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm

You can also measure your tiny John Lennon specs to give you an idea of the lens size. Say you measure them and you find out your lenses are about 49 by 27 and you feel this is to small, well you now know you want to go with a larger lens size than that.

I hope this makes sense, but once you figure out what size frames fit you, you have it made, you just have to scroll and find a frame that is close to those sizes. You can go to Walmart and try on frames, you find one you like, you can look at the measurements inside the inside frame and use those to go by when you order, or you can measure the size of lenses you prefer and use that to go off of.

I know it takes a bit to get used to it, but after you get through it all, you can save a bundle. If I can help explain it any clearer please let me know.