Menu

I'm about ready to toss him onto the first school bus that passes by!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyone else dealing with a student with severe lack of motivation?

He just doesn't care!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel a little better now. And I need to hold on to the glimpses of hope I saw last week.

Well, we're not schooling right now, but I have SO been there. Mostly it's the whining that gets to me. I recently determined that I *could* be a decent housekeeper if my kids were in school. :D

My 7yo came to me just yesterday and asked me if they're really going to school this year. Guess I must have said something out loud, eh? :lol: They're still home.

My DS8 is rather like that. It simply isn't important to him to do his best or put any extra effort into anything (except designing Lego structures). This is true with schoolwork, swim team, chores, even doing things for friends (e.g., responding to a dear friend who writes him often). We have yet to find a strong motivator for him, so we struggle along, often nagging.

I can only conclude it is a personality trait, because DS5 is so much the opposite. He is highly self-motivated to put every bit of effort into everything he does. No one pushes him yet he zips through schoolwork (and asks for more), has sailed through the levels of swim lessons because he works so hard in class, cleans his room without being asked, just because "it looked kind of messy."

DS8 is the one who needs homeschooling, because no teacher with a class of 25 could spend enough time to keep him going, yet he is the one that makes me look longingly at the bus.

Sigh.

Is this something new with your ds? My dd is usually so self-desciplined and motivated, yet the past two weeks it's like pulling teeth to get her to finish anything without constant encouragement. I'm hoping it is just all this beautiful weather we are having. I find myself looking longingly out the window.

DS8 is the one who needs homeschooling, because no teacher with a class of 25 could spend enough time to keep him going, yet he is the one that makes me look longingly at the bus.

Sigh.

I just said something very similar to dh tonight about our ds. This evening dh asked him what time it was and he came back in and said it was 20 minutes until 8 o'clock. I knew that wasn't right so I checked the clock and saw that it was 10 minutes to 8. I asked him to check the clock again. Then he comes back and says it is 5 minutes to 8. Dh worries about homeschooling anyway and when it appears to him that our 10 yo can't even tell time, he flips out a little. Today it took ds 20 minutes to figure out what 3 x 8 is. Really! Even if you have a mental block and can't remember what the answer is you can surely count it out in a few seconds! Sometimes that kid's brain just shuts down. I worry that if we ever did send him to school he would get lost in the class. He would be those kids you hear about that graduate and still can't read. He does the absolute minimum to get by.

On the other hand, he is very creative, draws well, is excellent at any sport he gets involved in, and is a very hard worker when it comes to physical activity. If only he could use some of that energy when it comes to brain activity..... :) And on a brighter note, he is doing much better writing his own narrations and even makes comments on our history lessons (instead of "oh I'm so glad we are done with that!").