Menu

Those of you that use the Spelling Plus dictation book..

thundersweet

Not the spelling program but the dictation book. How do you use this with another spelling program? I am confused? We have been using SWR but I really want to get dd writing more. I have read some use this dictation book for sentence ideas. How do you do this? How do you know what list to start with? Do you just not worry and start from the beginning?

One of the reasons I am considering switching to AAS is because of all the dictation sentences included with each list. I really like that about AAS.

Thanks,

Sandy

Well, I was using SWR, but it got tiring, took too much time, and we were getting into words that were not words my youngest needed to know yet in her writing. So I got the Dictation book and am just using it with the SWR rules and markings to make our own program.

First, I figured out where dd needed to be by giving her oral tests of the words until she started having trouble.

Then, the first day, I give her a paper with all the words of a list written with SWR markings, we discuss any rules and markings, and she alphabetizes them. The second day, we do half the dictation sentences for that list. Day 3, she does a worksheet I make out for her, doing things like adding suffixes and prefixes (keeping spelling rules in mind), or homophones, synonyms, etc. Anything to get her to work with the words. Day 4, we dictate the second half of the sentences. Any words she misspells in her sentences go on a list, for later review, and she writes them several times using SWR markings. It is working for us. :)

It contains the spelling lists for grades 1-6. It also has those spelling words used in dictation sentences AND it spirals - woo hoo! The grades are clearly labeled on the spelling lists, they are not on the dictation portion, aside from saying list 1, list 27, etc.

So the dictation book includes the spelling lists. You didn't have to buy the spelling book to get the list of words. That was something I had been wondering.

Jan

The spelling lists are also in the dictation book. I'm sure the Spelling Plus book itself gives more suggestions on how to teach those lists, but as far as knowing what words are on the lists, that is in the dictation book and the dictation sentences are built from those words. Another thing I really liked is the dictation sentences also vary so the dc gets to practice a variety of mechanics too. You can easily change a word or two when dictating to make them more personalized as well, while keeping to the spelling lists.

Thanks. That answers one of the questions that I has about the program.

Jan