Menu

Earthquake

That was 5.8 in Chino Hills. There has to be damage, I dont get local channels. Keep me posted.

We felt it here at 11:47. Not big, just something to make you run to the door. Probably aftershock.

I get more news from you guys than the news. Comin at ya from WTM live.

Jet

Here I felt it roll in...and I thought "oh we're having a little one" (and I was prepared to sit it out, and then it got stronger...and I shot for the door outside.

No destruction here, thank goodness, but it was enough to get the heart pumping.

Bill

That is a big one! We were at the epicenter of the Northridge quake so I remember the feeling. Hope you don't have any aftershocks.

Hang in there!

I was born a couple hundred feet from the epi-center of the Northridge quake (which was actually in Reseda), this one was no where near that big (here at least)

Bill

Just posted above, is anyone else's cel phone down??

We are in San Clemente - as far south Orange County as you can get - so not that close to the epicenter - but still felt it

Mine's working...but I can't reach my wife :mellow:

I'm not OVERLY concerned, but still...

Bill

CNN is reporting no damage or injuries at this point.

Hard to get through on cell phones or land lines though.

Hope it is not a fore-shock. That's always my biggest worry!

We are not far from Northridge, and that earthquake literally almost killed me with fear.

Michelle T

Just heard that there have been 15aftershocks so far.

Northridge woke me up when i lived in Santa Maria. Sloshed water out of my pool even!

I have more cookware than any man should, so I have a huge multi-tiered rack of copper, iron and steel pots and pans hanging in the kitchen.

Well when the Northridge quake hit (besides the huge rumble) the pots and pans banging against one another created a cacophony of un-earthy sound. It was like being trapped in a bell tower, with the devil as the carillonneur.

That one was scary.

Hope you get in touch with her soon Bill.

Thanks Tracey. I know this isn't a life-threatening event, but it is a comfort to touch-base. And it is making me a bit nuts not to get through.

But I am not worried. I am NOT worried. I AM not worried.

:auto:

YIKES Bill - that would have scared the crap out of me! I think the pans would have had to have gone! LOL!! My wood blinds banged in the frame, but nothing like those pans would have been (although, i went thru the Groundhog day Tornado here in Florida last year - an EF3 rolling overhead wasn't quiet).

My co-worker had a rental house in Reseda and well, ya, that was ugly.... her DH worked for the insurance company and that helped.

My mom just said my brother in La QUinta sent them a text message asking if that was an earthquake.

We had some damage but we're only about 10 miles from the epicenter.

We had glasses flying out of the kitchen cupboards among other stuff so I'm in clean up mode. It really upset my two year old.

I've lived here my whole life and that was one of the strongest ones I've ever felt. Not that it was the "biggest" but the jolt was one of the most violent I've experienced.

Still a bit shaken up...

I think the pans would have had to have gone!

Perish the thought!

For me these are "instruments" in the creative process of meal-making. Oh no, the bond between my cooking vessels and my soul is to strong to part ways. Even if their racket sounds like the end-of-the-world. They stay!

Bill (who has his "eccentricities")

We had glasses flying out of the kitchen cupboards among other stuff so I'm in clean up mode. It really upset my two year old.

I've lived here my whole life and that was one of the strongest ones I've ever felt. Not that it was the "biggest" but the jolt was one of the most violent I've experienced.

Still a bit shaken up...

Good news that it is not more serious. I hope you find a way to comfort your little one.

Bill (who is wondering what his 4 year-old thought about this event...and suspects he LOVED IT!!!)

Still a bit shaken up...

Glad to hear you and Bill are okay. It must of been a bigun to knock stuff out of cupboards.

Its all about the epicenter. I pray that its over.

Jet

The quake in Paso Robles 12/03 happened when we were moving out of our house.... i pulled into the WM Parking lot to buy cleaning supplies... could not figure out WHAT the heck those people were doing in that truck in front of me ;)

DH was at the bottom of the pool patching a spot - he couldn't get up, but the kids were kinda freaked (their first - a week before moving to FL!).

I can totally see some kids loving it! LOL!! Hope he did!

Perish the thought!

For me these are "instruments" in the creative process of meal-making. Oh no, the bond between my cooking vessels and my soul is to strong to part ways. Even if their racket sounds like the end-of-the-world. They stay!

Bill (who has his "eccentricities")

:lol:

Ok ok.... but the NOISE..... it's getting to me just THINKING about it! LOL!!!

Just posted above, is anyone else's cel phone down??

We are in San Clemente - as far south Orange County as you can get - so not that close to the epicenter - but still felt it

Felt it here in Dana Point, right near you Chris.

This Texan has now been formally initiated to California!! Thank you very much. I feel right at home now. No need to make me feel anymore welcome! :tongue_smilie:

We barely felt it. I was sitting on my bed talking on the phone and hardly noticed until the kids started telling me the house was moving. The table...the pictures on the walls...but it wasn't shaking, it was just sort of a side slippy feeling. If they hadn't have said anything...or if we'd have been asleep, we never would have known.

And now I'm hearing that there is a 5% chance that this could just be a prelude to a bigger one over the next 24 hours.

Very exciting stuff for this Texas girl!

I just got back from picking up lunch from a place where all the sets were tuned to CNN. Boy are they "milking" this quake!

Computer simulations and everything.

Once the media grabs onto a story i think they hate to let it go.

Boy, was that some strong shaking. We are in the South Pasadena area. Nothing damaged here except my poor frayed nerves. The kids had a blast. I was sitting at my computer desk when it started swaying back and forth, then I quickly ushered all the children outside. I could see the power lines swinging. My cell phone and internet connections were down for a while, but all seems back to normal now.

I turned the TV off finally - i figured it was a SLLLOOOOOWWWWWWW news day ;)

I agree. We saw the same story about water in the intersection 50 times probably. BUT...I'm glad for all the news coverage. I am a Texas who has never ever gone through an earthquake...so this was sort of exciting event for me. Also, at my home in Texas I don't own a TV. It was nearly a full hour after teh quake before I even remembered that there was a TV here in our rented condo that I could look at to watch the news. :001_rolleyes:

They need allllllllll that coverage for slow people like me, see. :D

Felt it here in Dana Point, right near you Chris.

This Texan has now been formally initiated to California!! Thank you very much. I feel right at home now. No need to make me feel anymore welcome! :tongue_smilie:

We barely felt it. I was sitting on my bed talking on the phone and hardly noticed until the kids started telling me the house was moving. The table...the pictures on the walls...but it wasn't shaking, it was just sort of a side slippy feeling. If they hadn't have said anything...or if we'd have been asleep, we never would have known.

And now I'm hearing that there is a 5% chance that this could just be a prelude to a bigger one over the next 24 hours.

Very exciting stuff for this Texas girl!

Wow, what an initiation, your Cali trip aint going so well.

Jet

Stop,. I am crying here, today the squirrels are doing turf wars with resident roadrunner. BEEp.Beep.

Jet

It is characteristic of the California weir-squirrel (once they've developed a taste for flesh) to go for larger and larger prey. Be afraid...be very afraid :D

Yep, that was a mover :)

We were at swimming lessons. My ds8 and dd6 were in the pool, but hanging onto the edge listening to instructions when it hit. I was sitting on the benches with my 3yr old when I heard the building "creak". I thought (you know how sometimes your train of thought seems to go in slowmo)...."wow...that's the type of creak a building makes when there is an earthquake"....when the first jolt hit :001_smile:

Having lived in California all my adult life (and having lived through way too many earthquakes), I just stood there watching the pool area (the roof is tall since it's inside a Bally's Gym). I already knew were the emergency exit was (10 ft to my right), and was watching the 2nd story part of the gym through a window of glass. There were people still working out on the equipment during the quake who didn't even bother to stop :tongue_smilie:

After the jolt...and loooong roll, the manager comes running in calling for a *mandatory* evacuation of the building. While I was wrapping up my kids in their towels, another man had to put his hand in the water to stop a guy who was doing some serious laps....he was dumbstuck when we told him what had happened...said he didn't feel a thing.:lol:

So, being the homeschool family that we are, when we got home we pulled out our CKE Earth and Space book and read the lesson on Earthquakes :D

Blessings,