Menu

God's Design for Science vs Apologia Zoology

jina

God's Design, while a good and comprehensive curriculum, is very dry, IMO. For a first grader, I would definitely go with Apologia Elementary series. Big differences are: black/white text (GD) vs. color test (Apol.), entire year on one subject (Apol) vs. several subjects per year (GD). We did God's Design for Life last year (well, part of it). Each book, if I remember, was like a 20 wk study. I forget exactly how long, but not as long as Apologia. Another curriculum to try (if you don't want to spend one year on one subject) is the Christian Kids Explore series. Might be a bit over the head of a first grader. I would hold off, personally. Even Apologia might be over his head unless he is advanced. I, personally, would hold off until 2nd grader. I've heard the Astronomy series is the easier of the 5 that are out now.

That is exactly what I needed to know! He is not advanced (immature, in fact-other than in reading) and the Apologia Zoology looks PRETTY THOROUGH! It had not occurred to me to wait until next year. Thanks for the thought - that might be the best solution and just do experiments and fun stuff this year. I wondered about the astronomy one...he is "in" to space right now, so maybe that would be a good fit. I am trying to do the WTM approach right now with the encyclopedias and supplement library books, but I don't feel like we're getting much out of it and could use a little more direction.

Anyone else have an opinion?

That is exactly what I needed to know! He is not advanced (immature, in fact-other than in reading) and the Apologia Zoology looks PRETTY THOROUGH! It had not occurred to me to wait until next year. Thanks for the thought - that might be the best solution and just do experiments and fun stuff this year. I wondered about the astronomy one...he is "in" to space right now, so maybe that would be a good fit. I am trying to do the WTM approach right now with the encyclopedias and supplement library books, but I don't feel like we're getting much out of it and could use a little more direction.

Anyone else have an opinion?

If you don't do any science in first grade, he will not suffer, IMO. My first grader (last year) was not interested in joining us in any of our science studies. We got the basics done (barely!) and called it a day with him. This year, he will hopefully be more interested in our studies. Maybe. Your ideas is a good one. Get some library books out and do some experiments. Janice VanCLeave has a great series of books with experiments for each science discipline. Or, you could do Apol. Astron....slowly. I've heard it is geared toward 2nd grade - like 6th. You could also join the Apologia Science Yahoo group and ask there. Jeannie, herself, often chimes in w/ her .02! What better than to hear from the author herself! The Yahoo Group is called Elem_Apologia_Science.