Menu

Are there any nonconsumable handwriting programs?

mo2

There are downloadable programs or things free online that you can print. Is that any better? That's what I do because I hate buying workbooks and then throwing them away at the end, only to buy them again for the next kid. For some reason a download seems better to me, but maybe I'm weird. :)

My favourites are the Starfall ABC sheets and Teach Me Joy handwriting programs.

There are downloadable programs or things free online that you can print. Is that any better? That's what I do because I hate buying workbooks and then throwing them away at the end, only to buy them again for the next kid. For some reason a download seems better to me, but maybe I'm weird. :)

My favourites are the Starfall ABC sheets and Teach Me Joy handwriting programs.

You just reminded me that I own Teach Me Joy Cursive... :o

My dd flew through her handwriting book in about 2 months. That's when I purchased StartWrite. Yes, you have to make the worksheets, but I don't feel like I'm blowing my money on workbooks, though. They have a bunch of fonts available in the program. I use the manuscript for dd and cursive for my ds.

Remember that children were learning good penmanship long before there was such a thing as consumable. :-) Even I, who went to school in the 50s, never had a workbook for penmanship.

You don't even need to print/photocopy/reproduce "worksheets." Blank, lined paper works just as well. You give the child a model, with verbal and visual instructions on how to form the letters and strokes, and he writes on the paper.

Some people use a black/white board as well. I made papers for my oldest using Startwrite, but I am lazy now and have a composition book and am putting poems and whatnot in them for my daughter to copy. My handwriting is not perfect so it's a bit of a drag for me to try to be tidy (!) but oh well. I had a Getty-Dubai italics workbook that he hadn't used, so she used that and has just used a composition book for the rest. It helps not have papers flying everywhere.

DD does her copywork on a little dry erase board. I got it at Staples in the school supplies section. One side is all white, and the other side has handwriting lines (the kind with upper and lower solid lines, and a dashed line in the middle). I'm pretty sure it was only $1, too. We use it probably more than anything else in our house.

I really like this cursive book by Linda Corson: http://www.amazon.co...63141164&sr=1-1

Very thorough and step by step--easy to follow!

This looks nice. I just ordered it!

What about using dry erase books? We've got one here and DD7 loves it! Definitely invest in a good set of dry erase markers if you go this route though. I like the "wipe off" brand. They clean up so much nicer than the others, I find.

Oh, yes, my dry erase boards get a lot of use!

Remember that children were learning good penmanship long before there was such a thing as consumable. :-) Even I, who went to school in the 50s, never had a workbook for penmanship.

You don't even need to print/photocopy/reproduce "worksheets." Blank, lined paper works just as well. You give the child a model, with verbal and visual instructions on how to form the letters and strokes, and he writes on the paper.

This is why I don't feel the need for workbooks. I just want a TM or instructor guide to help me teach proper letter formation, as my handwriting is not the best. :)

This. Paper and pencil are sufficient. If you know how to form the letters you can tell someone else how. :001_smile:

This is why I don't feel the need for workbooks. I just want a TM or instructor guide to help me teach proper letter formation, as my handwriting is not the best. :)
This. Paper and pencil are sufficient. If you know how to form the letters you can tell someone else how. :001_smile:

We posted on top of each other. :p I'll add a WRTR vote. I have the 4th edition, which includes manuscript and cursive, but I hear the newer ones have more explicit instruction.

I can't imagine practicing handwriting on a white board :confused:. It's so slippery. Even a blackboard is difficult.

I make sure students are using a good quality mechanical pencil and some paper with a little tooth to it. I do NOT have students write on slick copy paper.

I can't imagine practicing handwriting on a white board :confused:. It's so slippery. Even a blackboard is difficult.

I make sure students are using a good quality mechanical pencil and some paper with a little tooth to it. I do NOT have students write on slick copy paper.

I think the "slip" factor is what my kids like. They all seem to want to press down very hard when they first start writing, so mechanical pencils would die a quick death here. With the dry erase I think it's easier for them and their hands don't seem to get tired as quickly. I've never found the surface to be a problem.

We are just started Phonics road to reading and writing. Her handwriting instruction seems really good. I know a lot of other people have used this program for awhile and can probably give more info on it, but as a brand new user, I like it, and I understand what I am supposed to be doing.

I have a D'Nealian wall chart and a ream of 1st grade paper (portrait orientation like regular notebook paper). I did have to spend some time retraining myself. I first traced the chart's letters onto K paper and put clear contact paper over it. It works great with dry erase markers. On the 1st grade paper we started out with a few letters at a time, tracing then free-handing. Once the whole alphabet was fairly consistent, we moved onto copywork selections I had previously selected (I used Bible verses). I wrote out the selection skipping lines in between. As she got better at that, I just wrote the selection small across the top and let her refer to the wall chart as needed. I did trade time for money, but time I have. Money, not so much! fwiw. It's possible to do most things without buying programs.